This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (April 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Birth name||Jesse Garba Abaga|
|Also known as||Jago|
10 August 1984|
Jos, Plateau, Nigeria
|Genres||Hip hop, reggae|
|Occupation(s)||Record producer, rapper, singer-songwriter|
|Labels||Jagz Nation, Chocolate City|
|Associated acts||M.I, Ice Prince, eLDee, Wizkid, Skales, Brymo, Timi Dakolo|
Jesse Garba Abaga (born 10 August 1984), popularly known as Jesse Jagz, is a Nigerian hip hop recording artist. In April 2015, he re-signed with Chocolate City after leaving the label in May 2012 to establish his own imprint known as Jagz Nation.
Jesse Jagz (Jesse Garba Abaga) has been described as Nigeria’s Kanye West because of his flirtatious experimentation with different genres of music from R&B to roots reggae to pop all built on a predominantly hip hop foundation. Though a native of Jukun in Taraba State, Nigeria Jesse grew up in Jos, Plateau state in a music-filled environment where both parents (clergy) gave him access to the church choir and drums set by age 7.
He recorded his first album with a group named Gospel Insanity. Unfortunately, the album never got released due to fallout of some of the members. Jesse thereafter started producing beats professionally and formed another group, "Eleven Thirty" which quickly became a huge success in Jos.
In 2004, he hooked up with his brother Jude Abaga, a.k.a. MI; together they started Inner Hub Studios. By 2006, Jesse started a solo career with a debut-hit "Africa" that remained at #1 on the cool fm chart for months.
Between 2006 and 2007, Jesse Jagz had three songs simultaneously dominating the top ten charts on Cool FM, RayPower FM as well as Rhythm FM! becoming street anthems in and around the north of Nigeria.
Jesse Jagz hit songs include "Nobody Test Me", "Bend Down Low", "Sugar Cane Baby", and "The Greatest", while his hit song "My Brother" was selected as part of the International Music Entrepreneur of the Year (IYMEY) 2008 compilation.
In February 2009, the Award nominated producer and hip hop artist was selected to represent Nigeria at the 2009 edition of Sauti Za Busara Music Festival – a yearly international festival celebrating East African music and features top-quality musical performances by more than 400 established and upcoming artists (40 groups in total) and over the years has established itself as one of Africa’s leading music festivals which held in Zanzibar, Tanzania.
Jesse Jagz's hit singles "Wetin Dey", "Pump It Up" and "Nobody Test Me", in which he featured fellow artist Ice Prince and brother M.I (both rap artist), were chart toppers around the whole country. His production credits include M.I, Modenine, Silver Saddih, Banky W, Majek Fashek, Ruby, Ice Prince, Faze, Djinee, Kel, Shank, Tosin Martins, Sasha, Djah Djah (def jam poetry), Kahli, Pherowshuz among a host of others.
His debut music video, "Pump It Up", was released in November 2009 and got him positive reviews.
He released his debut album, "Jag of all tradez " in 2010 to critical acclaim. He was notably absent from the music scene in 2011 and 2012,returning in 2013 with a reggae infused style. He released the singles "Murder them" and "Redemption" in the 1st half of 2013 after parting ways with Chocolate City Music. The singles were released under his new imprint,Jagz Nation. In June 2013, Jesse Jagz left Chocolate City and released his second album (his first as an Independent artist) "Jagz Nation Vol 1; Thy Nation Come ". With him rapping, Singing and handling most of the production on his first album,Jesse Jagz chose to seek the help of other producers such as Samklef,Shady and KidKonnect on his second album instead. The album features the likes of Brymo and Wizkid on it.
On 8 April 2015, Jesse Jagz returned to Chocolate City and renewed his contract.
- Jag of All Tradez (2010)
- Jagz Nation, Vol.1. Thy Nation Come (2013)
- Jagz Nation Vol. 2: Royal Niger Company (2014)
- The Indestructible Choc Boi Nation (with Chocolate City) (2015)
- Odysseus (2017)
|2008||"Bend Down Low"||Jag of All Tradez|
|"Sugar Cane Baby"|
|Pump It Up"|
|2010||"Nobody Test Me" (featuring M.I and Ice Prince)|
|2011||"The Son of Abaga"|
|"Redemption"||Jagz Nation, Vol.1. Thy Nation Come|
|"3rd World War"
(featuring Femi Kuti)
|Heaven's Hell The Movie Soundtrack|
|2016||"Body Hot" (As featured artiste)|
- M.I (Short Black Boy, Illegal Music)
- Mode 9 (Nine)
- Silver Saddih (Konko Jabele)
- Banky W
- Majek Fashek
- Eve (Crazy)
- Iceprince (Oleku, Rewind, Extraordinary)
- Brymo (Good morning)
- Lindsey (Drift Away, Pictures)
- Kel (Sittin On Top, Jeun Soke, Untouchable)
- Tosin Martins
- Ajuju (Testing the Microphone)
- Dekunle Fuji (Jesu Funmi)
- Sammy Sage
- 2 Shotz (Money In My Pocket)
- Djah Djah (Def Jam Poetry)
- Pherowshuz among a host of others
- F.B BAKARE (TELE MI)
|Year - 2013||Title - Bad girl ft wizkid||Album - thine nation com||Director - mex||Ref|
|2014||Sex & Scotch||Thine Nation Come||MEX|
|2015||Jaga Love Ft Ice Prince|||
Awards and nominations
- Best Producer of the Year – Splurge Magazine Best Rap Single 2008
- Producer of the Year – The Future Awards 2010
- Lyricist on the roll - Hip Hop World Awards (Headies), 2014.
- Most Top Ten Hits on Cool FM 2007.
- Best Dance Single – "Bend Down Low", 2008
- Producer of the Year (Hip Hop World Awards 2009)
- Producer of the Year (The Future Awards 2009 and 2010)
Performances and appearances
- Names on Platinum (Independence show) – 1 October 2008
- This Day International Music and Fashion Festival June, 2009 Abuja
- This Day International Music and Fashion Festival, Abuja – August 2008, opened for Jay-Z, Rihanna, Usher,Beenie Siegal, etc.
- London Calling 2008 – Headliner of 4 Nigerian acts, London UK
- Sauti Za Busara Music Festival, 12th – 17 February 2009.
- Crack Your Ribs (Abuja) – August 2008
- Crack Your Ribs (Abuja) – July 2009
- Rhythm Unplugged 2008 and Rhythm Unplugged Abuja 2009
- Big Brother Eviction Party Abuja (the Dome) 2006
- Host WAPI (words and pictures) – British Council Abuja (2008)
- MTV Base Advance Warning party – July 2008
- Nokia Xpress Music Rave 2009.
- Host Chocolate City "The Jam Sessions" 2007 and 2008
- Face of Selara 2009
- 0808, Abuja – Headline Act – August 2009
- Gordons Show – Abuja 2009 Names on Platinum (Independence Show) – 1 October 2008
- Co Host-Club MTV Base Party – 2008, Jos
- Port Harcourt Stand Up – July 2009.
- Visafone Promo Tours – Abuja
- 0808 – Fashion, Poetry and Song – August 2009.
- Hennessy Artistry, Lagos – September 2009.
- Star Mega Jam with Busta Rhymes and Ludacris – December 2009.
- Professionals Rock, Abuja – February 2010.
- 100% Basketmouth in Concert, Indig02: Lord of the Ribs, London – February 2010.
- Glo country rock and roll tour 2011
- "New Music Praiz - 'Body hot' ft Jesse Jagz, Stonebwoy". Pulse.ng. Joey Akan. Retrieved 5 February 2016.
- "Video Premiere Jesse Jagz - Sex & Scotch". Pulse Nigeria. Joey Akan. Retrieved 20 January 2014.
- "Jesse Jagz releases album today". The Nation (Nigeria). 13 March 2010. Retrieved 20 March 2011.[permanent dead link]
- http://www.ladybrillenigeria.com › Events –
- Jag of all Tradz album review and track listing at Nigeria Music Movement
- ALBUM Tracklist: Jesse Jagz – Odysseus