|Leader of GroenLinks in the House of Representatives|
May 12, 2015
|Preceded by||Bram van Ojik|
|Member of the House of Representatives|
June 17, 2010
|Born||Jesse Feras Klaver
May 1, 1986
|Spouse(s)||Jolein Klaver (m. 2014)|
|Residence||Den Haag, Netherlands|
|Alma mater||Avans University of Applied Sciences|
|Occupation||Politician, trade unionist|
Jesse Feras Klaver (born 1 May 1986) is a Dutch politician. He has been a member of the House of Representatives (Dutch: Tweede Kamer der Staten-Generaal [ˈtʋeːdə ˈkaːmər dɛr ˈstaːtə(n) ˌɣeːnəˈraːl] ( listen) or simply Tweede Kamer, literally "Second Chamber") since 2010, and he has served as leader of the GroenLinks party since May 12, 2015. Prior to this he had also been chair of the youth union of the Christelijk Nationaal Vakverbond.
Jesse Feras Klaver was born on 1 May 1986 in Roosendaal in the Netherlands. His father has a Moroccan background and his mother has a mixed Dutch and Indonesian background. His grandparents played a large role in his upbringing. Between 1999 and 2004 he attended the vmbo at the Waldorf school Michael College in Prinsenbeek.
Between 2006 and 2009, he was member of the board of the DWARS, the youth organization of the GroenLinks. First, he was duo-chair for organization matters, later he was secretary and then he was elected chair. As chair, he supported the "freedom-loving course set by Femke Halsema" against the more communitarian elements within the party. In addition to serving in this function, he studied social work at the Avans University of Applied Sciences and the transition program for the master political science at the University of Amsterdam. He quit the transition program before finishing it.
On September 17, 2009, he was elected chair of the youth union of the CNV. As chair he announced he would put less emphasis on the Christian character of the CNV. He supported raising the retirement age to 67. On December 1, 2009, he was appointed to the Social Economic Council. Being 23 years old, he was the youngest member ever to sit on this council. In addition to chairing the CNV youth union, he co-authored the 2010 GroenLinks election manifesto; he was member of the board of the Christian Social Youth Congress and he was founder of the climate NGO Youth Copenhagen Coalition.
In 2010 Klaver was placed seventh on the list of the GroenLinks for the 2010 elections. The GroenLinks won ten seats. Klaver became spokesperson social affairs, employment, education and sport. His maiden speech concerned higher education.
In 2010 he was nominated as "political talent of the year" by political journalists. For the 2012 elections Klaver headed the campaign team of the GroenLinks and he was fourth on the list of candidates of the GroenLinks. This was enough to be elected, as the GroenLinks got exactly four seats. His TEDtalk in the late-night talk show Pauw & Witteman in January 2013, was chosen as the best of five young politicians.
In 2013 he co-authored the memo "Mooi Nederland" ("Beautiful Netherlands") with Lutz Jacobi (PvdA) and Stientje van Veldhoven (D66) which set out to protect nature, the landscape, flora and fauna. In 2013 he authored a private member's bill which through transparency sought to reduce food spillage. In 2014 he authored the proposal "Kansen voor kinderen voor het vmbo" ("Chances for Children in pre-vocational education").
Klaver received international attention for opposing tax evasion in 2013. Klaver co-authored the agreement on the student benefit with the minister of Education Jet Bussemaker and spokespersons of the VVD, D66, PvdA.
On May 12, 2015, party leader Bram van Ojik announced that Klaver would be taking over party leadership effective immediately. Until that point, Klaver had acted as a spokesperson for finance, agriculture, nature, animal welfare, education, culture and science. He is member of parliamentary committees on foreign affairs, defense, European affairs, economic affairs, finance, education, budgetary control, social affairs, health and procedural affairs.
Klaver married on May 3, 2013. He has one son.
- (Dutch) Parlement.com biography
- Calvinist en er goed uit zien on trouw.nl
- Jan Tromp "Het slimme prinsenkind van GroenLinks" De Volkskrant February 19, 2013
- Jesse Klaver on parlement.com
- GroenLinks is de juiste weg ingeslagen on volkskrant.nl
- Jesse Klaver nieuwe voorzitter CNV Jongeren on telegraaf.nl
- Minder hameren op c van het cnv on nd.nl
- CNV krijgt tijdelijk nieuw bestuursmodel on CNV.nl
- Klaar voor de toekomst: Veelzijdige kandidatenlijst vastgesteld
- Portefeuilleverdeling Tweede Kamerfractie op GroenLinks.nl
- Pers kiest politicus van het jaar 2010 on nos.nl
- GroenLinks-Kamerlid Jesse Klaver houdt een TEDTalk on vara.nl
- The Independent "Dutch to crack down on tax loopholes exploited by multinational firms" on April 13, 2013.
- Kabinetsplannen studiefinanciering: studievoorschot on Rijksoverheid.nl
- "Van Ojik weg als fractieleider GroenLinks, Klaver volgt op" (in Dutch). Nederlandse Omroep Stichting. 12 May 2015. Retrieved 19 May 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Jesse Klaver.|
- (Dutch) House of Representatives biography
- (Dutch) JesseKlaver.nl, Website Jesse Klaver
- (Dutch) Jesse Klaver, GroenLinks.nl
- (Dutch) Jesse Klaver, Twitter