Jesse M. Furman
|Judge of the United States District Court for the Southern District of New York|
February 17, 2012
|Appointed by||Barack Obama|
|Preceded by||Alvin Hellerstein|
June 7, 1972 |
New York City, New York, U.S.
|Alma mater||Harvard University
Jesse Matthew Furman (born June 7, 1972) is a judge of the United States District Court for the Southern District of New York.
Early life and education
From 1998 until 1999, Furman served as a law clerk for then United States District Judge and future U.S. Attorney General Michael Mukasey. He then served as a law clerk for United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit Judge Jose Cabranes from 1999 until 2000. Furman also served as a clerk to Associate Justice David Souter of the Supreme Court of the United States from 2002 until 2003.
In 2004, Furman became a federal prosecutor in the Southern District of New York, where he served as an Assistant United States Attorney. From 2007 until 2009, Furman worked in the office of the United States Attorney General as Counselor to the Attorney General.
Federal judicial service
On June 7, 2011, President Barack Obama nominated Furman to a seat on the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York that had been vacated by Judge Alvin Hellerstein, who had taken senior status in January 2011.
On September 15, 2011, the Senate Judiciary Committee reported his nomination to the Senate floor by voice vote.
On February 15, 2012, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid filed cloture on Furman's nomination. On February 16, 2012, the Senate, by unanimous consent, vitiated the cloture vote on the nomination and agreed to a final vote on the nomination.
On February 17, 2012, the United States Senate confirmed Furman in a 62–34 vote. He received his commission the same day.
- White House: Office of the Press Secretary (June 7, 2011). "President Obama Nominates Four to the United States District Court". whitehouse.gov. Retrieved June 8, 2011.
- The White House: Office of the Press Secretary (June 7, 2011). "Nominations Sent to the Senate". whitehouse.gov. Retrieved June 8, 2011.
- Schneider-Mayerson, Anna (2005-11-03). "The Little Supremes". The New York Observer. Archived from the original on October 13, 2008. Retrieved 2015-06-10.
- Gerstein, Josh (June 17, 2008). "An Ex-New-York-Knife-Juggler To Hone Obama's Econ Policy". The New York Sun. Retrieved June 8, 2011.
- Jesse M. Furman at the Biographical Directory of Federal Judges, a public domain publication of the Federal Judicial Center.
|Judge of the United States District Court for the Southern District of New York