Plemons in 2007
April 2, 1988 |
Dallas, Texas, U.S.
Jesse Plemons (born April 2, 1988) is an American actor. He is best known for playing Landry Clarke in Friday Night Lights and Todd Alquist in Breaking Bad. He will appear in the second season of the FX anthology series Fargo.
Plemons was born in Dallas, Texas, and raised in Mart, Texas. In 2007, he graduated from the Texas Tech University Independent School District, a distance learning program, which allowed him to earn his high school diploma.
After appearing in the films Varsity Blues (1999) and All the Pretty Horses (2000), and guest-starring on Walker, Texas Ranger and Sabrina, the Teenage Witch, Plemons' first prominent role was in the film Like Mike (2002). He later went on to appear in Children on Their Birthdays and When Zachary Beaver Came to Town, with guest roles on the television series Judging Amy, The Lyon's Den, CSI: Crime Scene Investigation, and Grey's Anatomy between 2003 and 2006.
In 2006, Plemons joined the ensemble cast of NBC's television series Friday Night Lights, detailing the fictional events surrounding a high school football team in Dillon, Texas. In the show's first season, his character Landry Clarke provided comic relief as the best friend of football quarterback Matt Saracen, though Landry himself was not on the team. Among the cast and crew, the joke was that Plemons played football better than most of the other actors, even though his character was one of the few who did not play. Landry joined the football team in the second season, and Plemons, having played high school football, told director Jeffrey Reiner that he would do his own stunts. In his first football scene, Landry had to "get the crap beat out of [him] over and over and over again". When hit by co-star Taylor Kitsch, Plemons' chin split open, requiring eleven stitches.
Plemons reunited with Kitsch and Friday Night Lights creator Peter Berg in the film Battleship (2012). Berg, who directed the film, explained that he knew how comfortable Kitsch was with Plemons: "I know that he's really good for Taylor and he makes Taylor better. So, I wrote that whole part for Jesse. I never thought of it as a Friday Night Lights reunion. I thought of it as protection, bringing a trusted family member in."
From 2012 to 2013, Plemons portrayed Todd Alquist during the final season of the AMC drama series Breaking Bad. He was a recurring cast member in Season 5A and was promoted to series regular for Season 5B.
In January 2014, it was reported that Plemons was in strong consideration to be one of the new stars of the upcoming Star Wars Episode VII (Star Wars: The Force Awakens). In March 2014, it was further reported that Plemons, along with four other actors, were being considered for the lead role in Episode VII.
|1999||Varsity Blues||Tommy Harbor|
|2000||All the Pretty Horses||Young Grady|
|2002||Children on Their Birthdays||Preacher Star|
|2003||When Zachary Beaver Came to Town||Jay|
|2008||The Flyboys||Bully #1|
|2009||Observe and Report||Charles|
|2010||Meeting Spencer||Spencer West|
|2012||The Master||Val Dodd|
|2012||Battleship||Jimmy "Ordy" Ord|
|2014||The Homesman||Garn Sours|
|2015||Black Mass||Kevin Weeks||Post-production|
|2015||Bridge of Spies||Post-production|
|2015||The Program||Floyd Landis||Post-production|
|2000||Walker, Texas Ranger||Russell, Jr.||Episode: "The General's Return"|
|2001||The Guardian||Lawrence Neal||Episode: "Paternity"|
|2001||Sabrina, the Teenage Witch||Bigger Kid||Episode: "Really Big Season Opener"|
|2003||The Lyon's Den||Ray Ferris||Episode: "The Other Side of Caution"|
|2003||Judging Amy||James Franklin||Episode: "Marry, Marry Quite Contrary"|
|2004||Huff||Dawson James||Episode: "Cold Day in Shanghai"|
|2004||CSI: Crime Scene Investigation||Owen Durbin||Episode: "Down the Drain"|
|2006||Grey's Anatomy||Jake Burton||Episode: "Yesterday"|
|2006||NCIS||Jason Geckler||Episode: "Deception"|
|2006–2011||Friday Night Lights||Landry Clarke||59 episodes|
|2008||Fear Itself||Lemmon||Episode: "The Sacrifice"|
|2009||Cold Case||Ryan Stewart||2 episodes|
|2011||Childrens Hospital||Jesse||Episode: "Father's Day"|
|2012–2013||Breaking Bad||Todd Alquist||11 episodes
Screen Actors Guild Award for Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Drama Series
Nominated—Screen Actors Guild Award for Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Drama Series
|2013||The Missionary||Sherwood Elbridge||Pilot|
|2014||Drunk History||Edgar Allan Poe||Episode: "Baltimore"|
|2014||Olive Kitteridge||Jerry McCarthy||2 episodes|
- "‘Friday Night Lights’ Star Earns Diploma at a Distance Through Texas Tech Independent School District" (Press release). Texas Tech University. May 1, 2007. Retrieved 2008-11-15.
- "JESSE PLEMONS as Landry Clarke". NBC. Retrieved 2008-11-15.
- Kubicek, John (October 26, 2007). "Exclusive Interview: 'Friday Night Lights' Star Jesse Plemons". BuddyTV. Retrieved 2008-11-15.
- Porter, Rick (October 11, 2007). "A chat with 'FNL's' Jesse Plemons". Zap2it. Retrieved 2008-11-15.
- Radish, Christina (March 19, 2012). "Brooklyn Decker and Director Peter Berg Talk BATTLESHIP, Naval Warfare and the Design of the Aliens at WonderCon". Collider.com. Retrieved April 15, 2012.
- ""Friday Night Lights" alum Plemons joins "Breaking Bad"". Yahoo! News. May 17, 2012. Retrieved May 18, 2012.
- "Rumors: Jesse Plemons Cast As Ben Skywalker, Boba Fett Retcon, & More - The Star Wars Underworld". Retrieved 15 April 2015.
- "Jesse Plemons Reportedly Up For 'Star Wars' Role". The Huffington Post. Retrieved 15 April 2015.
- "‘Star Wars Episode VII’: Actors Battle for Lead Role (EXCLUSIVE)". Variety. Retrieved 2014-03-12.
- Ryan, Maureen (March 20, 2007). "Jesse Plemons of 'Friday Night Lights'". Chicago Tribune. Retrieved 2008-11-15.