Jesse Winchester (ice hockey)
October 4, 1983 |
Long Sault, ON, CAN
|Height||6 ft 1 in (185 cm)|
|Weight||215 lb (98 kg; 15 st 5 lb)|
Graham Jesse Winchester (born October 4, 1983) is a Canadian professional ice hockey player. He is a member for the Colorado Avalanche of the National Hockey League (NHL). After graduating from Colgate University in 2008, Winchester turned professional, signing with the Ottawa Senators. He also played professional ice hockey with Jokerit of Finland and the Florida Panthers.
Winchester was born in nearby Long Sault. He played junior hockey with the Cornwall Colts of the Central Junior A Hockey League, and was then offered a full hockey scholarship, and he subsequently played four seasons of NCAA Division I hockey with Colgate University. He was an ECAC All-Star in 2007–08 as well as Colgate's team captain. On March 25, 2008, after graduating from Colgate, Winchester signed with the NHL's Ottawa Senators and began his pro career.
Winchester made his NHL debut with Ottawa in the 2007–08 season, playing in a single game against the Boston Bruins on March 29, 2008, registering no points and two penalty minutes. Due to stipulations in the league's collective bargaining agreement, Winchester was ineligible to play in the 2008 NHL playoffs. He then made the Senators lineup out of training camp in 2008–09, though a recurring shoulder injury hampered Winchester throughout his rookie NHL season.
Winchester re-signed with the Senators on July 3, 2010, to a two-year deal. In the 2011–12 season, Winchester suffered a serious concussion injury in late December 2011 after a hit from Buffalo’s Paul Gaustad which sidelined him for most of the season. He finally returned to the Ottawa lineup on April 1, 2012, coincidentally the same game in which the Senators clinched a playoff spot.
With the 2012 NHL lockout affecting his status as a free agent, Winchester signed a lockout contract with TuTo of the Finnish Mestis on November 13, 2012. After scoring 10 points in 11 games and with limited NHL interest, Winchester opted to remain in Finland and was elevated to the SM-liiga club, Jokerit for the remainder of the 2012–13 season on January 27, 2013.
On July 5, 2013, Winchester marked his return to the NHL in signing a one-year contract with the Florida Panthers. In the 2013–14 season, Winchester made an impression on as a defensive forward who killed penalties for the Panthers. He also contributed offensively to post a career high 9 goals and 18 points in 52 games.
On July 1, 2014, Winchester was signed as a free agent to a two-year contract with the Colorado Avalanche. In the 2014–15 pre-season, Winchester suffered a concussion after a hit from Dennis Wideman of the Calgary Flames. Although initially optimistic on recovery, Winchester's symptoms persisted until he was cleared to travel with the team on March 27, 2015. Winchester suffered a setback after training with the club, and was effectively ruled out from the remainder of the season preventing him from making his Avalanche debut.
Awards and honors
|All-ECAC Hockey Second Team||2006–07|
|All-ECAC Hockey Third Team||2007–08|
- March 28, 2008 - Signed as a free agent by the Ottawa Senators.
- May 29, 2008 - Signed a two-year contract with Ottawa Senators.
- July 3, 2010 - Signed a two-year contract with Ottawa Senators
- November 13, 2012 - Signed contract with TuTo of Finnish Mestis league
- January 25, 2013 - Transferred to Jokerit of Finnish SM-liiga league
- July 5, 2013 - Signed a one-year contract with Florida Panthers
- July 1, 2014 - Signed a two-year contract with Colorado Avalanche
- "Bulletin: Senators re-sign forward Jesse Winchester to a two-year contract" (Press release). Ottawa Senators. Retrieved July 3, 2010.
- "Winchester waits for bite". Canoe.ca. 2012-07-04. Retrieved 2012-07-04.
- "'Overjoyed' Winchester returns to lineup". Canoe.ca. 2012-04-02. Retrieved 2012-04-02.
- "NHL'er Jesse Winchester will color Marli Arena" (in Finnish). TuTo. 2012-11-13. Retrieved 2012-11-13.
- "Panthers ink C Jesse Winchester". Florida Panthers. 2013-07-05. Retrieved 2013-07-05.
- "The Hockey News Player Profile". The Hockey News. Retrieved March 12, 2012.
- "Avalanche signs four players". Colorado Avalanche. 2014-07-01. Retrieved 2014-07-01.
- "Winchester recovering from concussion". Denver Post. 2014-10-01. Retrieved 2014-10-01.
- "Jesse Winchester cleared to travel with Avalanche". thescore.com. 2015-03-27. Retrieved 2015-03-27.
- "Bulletin: Senators Re-Sign Forward Jesse Winchester to Two-Year Contract". Ottawa Senators. May 29, 2008. Retrieved May 29, 2008.
- "Jesse Winchester". eurohockey.com. Retrieved April 30, 2013.