Jesse Winchester (ice hockey)
October 4, 1983 |
Long Sault, ON, CAN
|Height||6 ft 1 in (1.85 m)|
|Weight||215 lb (98 kg; 15 st 5 lb)|
Graham Jesse Winchester (born October 4, 1983) is a Canadian professional ice hockey player. He is a member of the Florida Panthers of the National Hockey League (NHL). After graduating from Colgate University in 2008, Winchester turned professional, signing with the Ottawa Senators. He most recently played professional ice hockey with Jokerit of Finland.
Winchester was born in nearby Long Sault. He played junior hockey with the Cornwall Colts of the Central Junior A Hockey League, and was then offered a full hockey scholarship, and he subsequently played four seasons of NCAA Division I hockey with Colgate University. He was an ECAC All-Star in 2007–08 as well as Colgate's team captain. On March 25, 2008, after graduating from Colgate, Winchester signed with the NHL's Ottawa Senators and began his pro career.
Winchester made his NHL debut with Ottawa in 2007–08, playing in a single game against the Boston Bruins on March 29, 2008, registering no points and two penalty minutes. Due to stipulations in the league's collective bargaining agreement, Winchester was ineligible to play in the 2008 NHL playoffs. He then made the Senators lineup out of training camp in 2008–09, though a recurring shoulder injury hampered Winchester throughout his rookie NHL season.
Winchester re-signed with the Senators in July 2010 to a two-year deal. In the 2011–12 season, Winchester suffered a serious concussion injury in late December 2011 after a hit from Buffalo’s Paul Gaustad which sidelined him for most of the season. He finally returned to the Ottawa lineup on April 1, 2012, coincidentally the same game in which the Senators clinched a playoff spot.
Winchester is a defensive forward who kills penalties for the Panthers. According to The Hockey News, his assets are his work ethic, his good defensive instincts and penalty-killing ability, while his flaws include inconsistency and lack of physicality. He is projected as an "industrious defensive depth forward."
Awards and honors
|All-ECAC Hockey Second Team||2006–07|
|All-ECAC Hockey Third Team||2007–08|
- March 28, 2008 - Signed as a free agent by the Ottawa Senators.
- May 29, 2008 - Signed two-year contract with Ottawa Senators.
- July 3, 2010 - Signed two-year contract with Ottawa Senators
- November 13, 2012 - Signed contract with TuTo of Finnish Mestis league
- January 25, 2013 - Transferred to Jokerit of Finnish SM-liiga league
- July 8, 2013 - Signed one-year contract with Florida Panthers
- "Bulletin: Senators re-sign forward Jesse Winchester to a two-year contract" (Press release). Ottawa Senators. Retrieved July 3, 2010.
- Winchester waits for bite http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL/FreeAgents/2012/07/04/19951756.html
- http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL/Ottawa/2012/04/02/19580531.html 'Overjoyed' Winchester returns to lineup
- "The Hockey News Player Profile". The Hockey News. Retrieved March 12, 2012.
- "Bulletin: Senators Re-Sign Forward Jesse Winchester to Two-Year Contract". Ottawa Senators. May 29, 2008. Retrieved May 29, 2008.
- "Jesse Winchester". eurohockey.com. Retrieved April 30, 2013.