Jessica in May 2015
|Born||Jessica Sooyoun Jung
April 18, 1989
San Francisco, California, United States
|Other names||Jung Soo-yeon|
|Relatives||Krystal Jung (younger sister)|
|Labels||S.M. Entertainment (2000–2015)|
|Website||Blanc & Eclare official page|
|Revised Romanization||Jeong Su-yeon|
|Revised Romanization||Jesika Jeong|
Jessica Sooyoun Jung (born April 18, 1989), known professionally as Jessica, is an American singer, actress, and businesswoman currently based in South Korea. She is a former member of South Korean girl group Girls' Generation. In 2014, she established her apparel fashion brand, Blanc & Eclare. Born and raised in San Francisco, California, Jessica is fluent in English and Korean after moving to South Korea at the age of 11.
- 1 Early life
- 2 Music career
- 3 Acting career
- 4 Variety show appearances
- 5 Other ventures
- 6 Discography
- 7 Filmography
- 8 Musical theatre
- 9 Awards and nominations
- 10 References
- 11 External links
Jessica was born in San Francisco, California. While on vacation in South Korea, she and her sister, Krystal, were spotted in a shopping mall by S.M. Entertainment; she later joined the company in 2000. She spent seven years as a trainee before debuting as part of the Korean girl group Girls' Generation. Jessica attended Korea Kent Foreign School during her teenage years.
Girls' Generation (2007–2014)
On September 30, 2014, Jessica announced on her personal Weibo account that she was "forced out" of the group. SM Entertainment later confirmed this, stating that Jessica would no longer be a member of Girls' Generation due to constant conflicts with the group's and Jessica's schedules. The company also stated that Girls' Generation would continue to promote with eight members while still managing Jessica's solo activities. Jessica also released a statement of her own through her fashion company Blanc, explaining that she was one-sidedly asked to leave Girls' Generation by the agency . Jessica's last released song with Girls' Generation is "Divine", released as a part of the repackaged version of their first Japanese greatest hits album, The Best.
Solo singing career
In addition to her group activities, Jessica released two singles with Seohyun and Tiffany: "Love Hate" (Hangul: "오빠 나빠", lit. Bad Older Brother) and "Mabinogi (It's Fantastic!)". Jessica collaborated with 8Eight for the song "I Love You" from their second album, Infinity, which was released on March 3, 2008. She is not the one in the music video, but the one singing the harmony and adlibs. In addition, she had various duets — one with Shinee member, Onew, called "One Year Later", and one with Park Myung-soo, "Naengmyeon". She sang the "Seoul Song" with Super Junior's Leeteuk, Sungmin, Donghae, Siwon, Ryeowook and Kyuhyun and fellow group members Taeyeon, Sunny, Sooyoung and Seohyun.
Jessica released a digital single titled "Sweet Delight" on October 13, 2010. In 2011, Jessica participated in the soundtrack of KBS drama Romance Town with the song "Because Tears Are Overflowing" (Korean: 눈물이 넘쳐서 ). In 2012, Jessica sang "What To Do" (feat. Kim Jin-pyo) for the drama Wild Romance, "Butterfly" (feat Krystal) for To The Beautiful You, "Heart Road" for The King's Dream, as well as "My Lifestyle", a Hyundai i30‘s commercial song. In 2013, she had "The One Like You" for Dating Agency: Cyrano. In 2014, Jessica released "Say Yes"' for the Make Your Move soundtrack, featuring her sister, Krystal, and EXO's former member, Kris.
In 2012, Jessica appeared in Wild Romance, playing the role of Kang Jonghee, who is Park Mu-yeol's first love. She appeared in approximately eight episodes. In the same year, Jessica returned to musical theatre once again with Legally Blonde, alongside Jung Eun-ji and Choi Woori. Her first performance was on November 28.
In 2015, Jessica was confirmed to be the female lead in the Chinese movie titled " Love Delivery ".
Variety show appearances
In May 2010, Jessica became a regular guest on the show Happy Birthday until she withdrew on June 7, 2010 due to Girls' Generation's overseas activities.
She was also a regular guest on the show Star King with fellow band member Yuri.
In 2015, she took a part in Chinese sport's variety show "YES! Coach". She participated in swimming competition trained by professional swimmer Sun Yang. In addition, she appeared on Singaporean talk show "The 5 Show" where she talked briefly about her business venture, Blanc & Eclare.
Blanc & Eclare
In August 2014, Jessica launched her own fashion line, Blanc, which was later renamed Blanc & Eclare.
|Gaon||Billboard K-pop Hot 100|
|2010||"Sweet Delight"||48||—||Non-album single|
|2011||"Because Tears Are Overflowing"||20||—||KBS Romance Town OST|
|2012||"What To Do" (with Kim Jin-pyo)||12||14||KBS Wild Romance OST|
|"Butterfly" (with Krystal)||22||17||SBS To The Beautiful You OST|
|"Heart Road"||57||43||KBS The King's Dream OST|
|"My Lifestyle" (with Dok2)||34||30||PYL Younique Volume 1|
|2013||"The One Like You"||37||21||tvN Dating Agency: Cyrano OST|
|2007||SBS Thirty Thousand Miles in Search of My Son||"Touch the Sky"||03:49||Taeyeon, Seohyun, Sunny and Tiffany|
|2008||Roommate||"Love Hate"||03:45||Seohyun and Tiffany|
|It's Fantastic||"It's Fantastic"||03:40||Seohyun and Tiffany|
|Infinity||"I Love You"||03:40||8eight|
|N/A||"Holding Hands"||03:54||Tiffany, Super Junior, SS501, Jewelry, Brown Eyed Girls, Lee Hyun and T.G.U.S|
|KBS Hong Gildong OST||"The Little Boat (작은 배)"||03:27||Taeyeon, Seohyun, Sunny and Tiffany|
|N/A||"Haptic Motion"||01:31||Taeyeon, Seohyun and Sunny|
|2009||Olympic Duet Song Festival||"NaengMyun"||03:41||Park Myung-soo|
|Tell Me Your Wish (Genie)||"One Year Later"||04:00||Onew|
|MBC Heading to the Ground OST||"Motion"||04:06||Taeyeon, Seohyun, Sunny and Tiffany|
|N/A||"S.E.O.U.L."||03:47||Taeyeon, Seohyun, Sunny and Kyuhyun, Sungmin, Ryeowook, Donghae and Leeteuk of Super Junior|
|N/A||"I Can't Bear Anymore (Bear Song)"||02:43||Taeyeon, Seohyun and Sunny|
|2010||Sweet Delight||"Sweet Delight"||03:20||N/A|
|N/A||"Cabi Song"||03:19||Taeyeon, Tiffany, Seohyun, Sunny, Yuri, Chansung, Junsu, and Taecyeon|
|N/A||"Cooky"||02:50||Tiffany, Seohyun and Sunny|
|My Friend Haechi||"Haechi Song" (해치송)||03:26||Taeyeon, Sunny, Tiffany and Seohyun|
|2011||Romance Town||"Because Tears Are Overflowing"||04:46||N/A|
|2012||KBS Wild Romance||"What To Do"||03:54||Kim Jin-pyo|
|SBS To the Beautiful You||"Butterfly"||03:01||Krystal|
|KBS The King's Dream||"Heart Road"||04:19||N/A|
|PYL Younique Volume 1||"My Unique Lifestyle"||03:06||Dok2|
|2013||Dating Agency: Cyrano||"The One Like You"||04:15||N/A|
|2014||Make Your Move (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack)||"Say Yes"||03:58||Krystal and Kris|
|2012||I AM. – SM Town Live World Tour in Madison Square Garden||Herself||Biographical film of SM Town|
|2016||Love Delivery||Lead Role|
|2008||Unstoppable Marriage||Bulgwang-dong's Seven Princesses Gang||Cameo||KBS2|
|2009||Tae-hee, Hye-kyo, Ji-hyun!||English teacher||Cameo||MBC|
|2010||Oh! My Lady||Herself||Cameo||SBS|
|2012||Wild Romance||Kang Jong-hee||Supporting role||KBS2|
|2014||Jessica & Krystal||1–10||with Krystal, featuring daily activities of the two sisters|
|2015||Yes! Coach||Guest Star|
|The 5 Show||114||Guest Star|
|Chef Nic||Season 2 episode 9||Guest Star|
|2016||Day Day Up||With Kris Wu|
|2009–2010; 2012–2013||Legally Blonde||Elle Woods||Lead role|
Awards and nominations
|2011||TC Candler The Independent Critics List||World's 100 Most Beautiful Faces of 2011||Herself||Rank #45|
|2012||2nd SBS MTV Best of the Best||Best Cameo||Sherlock||Nominated|
|TC Candler The Independent Critics List||World's 100 Most Beautiful Faces of 2012||Herself||Rank #5|
|2013||7th The Musical Awards||Popularity Award||Legally Blonde||Won|
|8th Seoul International Drama Awards||Most Popular Drama OST (with Krystal Jung)||"Butterfly"||Nominated|
|TC Candler The Independent Critics List||World's 100 Most Beautiful Faces of 2013||Herself||Rank #20|
|2014||7th Style Icon Awards||Top 10 Style Icons (with Krystal Jung)||Jessica & Krystal||Nominated|
|Yahoo Asia Buzz Awards||Most Searched Korean Female Artist||Herself||Won|
|Sohu Fashion Awards||Asian Fashion Icon||Won|
|TC Candler The Independent Critics List||World's 100 Most Beautiful Faces of 2014||Rank #35|
|2015||Yahoo Asia Buzz Awards||Asian Popularity Award||Won|
|TC Candler The Independent Critics List||World's 100 Most Beautiful Faces of 2015||Rank #57|
- "Person details for Jessica Sooyoun Jung, 'California, Birth Index, 1905–1995'". FamilySearch. Retrieved February 26, 2015.
- Factory Girls: Cultural technology and the making of K-pop Newyorker.com (October 8, 2012). Retrieved on January 12, 2015.
- (Korean) Chosun.com: 제시카, "관객 앞에서의 제 목소리에 감동했어요", February 18, 2009
- SM states that SNSD will promote as eight without Jessica Mwave.interest.me (September 30, 2014). Retrieved on September 30, 2014.
- SMTown's Official Statement SM Entertainment (September 30, 2014). Retrieved on October 1, 2014.
- Jessica releases a statement of her own Mwave.interest.me (October 1, 2014). Retrieved on February 27, 2015.
- "Singer Jessica quits SM Entertainment". The Korea Times. 6 August 2015. Retrieved 10 August 2015.
- (Korean) Kim Hyeong-wu. 소녀시대 티파니 “‘오빠나빠’ 활동 당시 성대 결절 고생” (Girls' Generation's Tiffany: "'Bad Older Brother' Activities Were Difficult on Vocal Nodules"). JoongAng Ilbo/Newsen. February 16, 2009. Retrieved February 26, 2010.
- (Korean) 소녀시대 티파니 제시카 서현 게임 주제가 신곡 발표 (Girls' Generation's Tiffany/Jessica/Seohyun Announce Game Theme Song as New Single). IS Plus/Newsen. August 1, 2008. Retrieved May 4, 2010.
- "제시카 로맨스타운 OST 공개, 네티즌 "너무 달콤하다"" (in Korean). Financial News. May 18, 2011. Retrieved May 20, 2015.
- "Jessica and Krystal releases 'Butterfly', an OST of 'To the Beautiful You'". Retrieved 13 October 2014.
- Jessica sings for KBS drama Korea JoongAng Daily (September 6, 2012). Retrieved on January 12, 2015.
- "Jessica sings "My Lifestyle" (ft. Dok2) for Hyundai’s ‘PYL Younique Album’". Retrieved 13 October 2014.
- "Girls' Generation's Jessica lends her voice for OST of Sooyoung's starring drama 'Dating Agency: Cyrano'". Retrieved 13 October 2014.
- Chung Ah-young. 'Legally Blonde' Sparkles With Starry Cast. The Korea Times. September 16, 2009. Retrieved February 22, 2010.
- 3 Starts to Share Lead in 'Legally Blonde' Musical. The Chosun Ilbo. October 31, 2009. Retrieved February 22, 2010.
- (Korean) 소녀시대, 최시원과 의리 지키며 '오 마이 레이디'서 카메오 출연 (SNSD Makes Cameo Appearance on "Oh! My Lady", Showing Loyalty to Choi Siwon). asiae/Newsen. March 7, 2010. Retrieved on April 9, 2010
- Park, Young Woong (February 15, 2012). "Violent Romance, SNSD’s Jessica and Lee Dong Wook have a romantic date". StarNews. Retrieved February 28, 2015.
- (Korean) Bae Sunyoung: 제시카 ‘해피 버스데이‘ 5주 출연 끝, 7일 하차 (Jessica, After Five Weeks of Appearances in 'Happy Birthday', Will be Withdrawing on 7th), Newsen.com. June 5, 2010. Retrieved June 6, 2010.
- "SNSD’s Jessica and f(x)’s Krystal to Star in New Program ‘Jessica & Krystal’". CJ E&M enewsWorld. Retrieved 3 August 2015.
- "Sisters Jessica and Krystal Get Sassy and Charming in Reality Show Teaser Video". CJ E&M enewsWorld. Retrieved 3 August 2015.
- "SNSD Jessica and f(x)’s Krystal Share on Wrapping Up ′Jessica & Krystal′". mwave.interest.me. Newsen. Retrieved 3 August 2015.
- "Jessica Renames Fashion Brand To "Blanc & Eclare"". KBS. October 6, 2014. Retrieved February 28, 2015.
- "Gaon Chart Search" (in Korean). Gaon Chart.
- "내친구 해치 (My Friend Haechi) [Original Soundtrack] – Single". iTunes US Apple. Retrieved 2013-03-10.
- "Documentary Shows Top K-Pop Singers Behind the Scenes". Chosun Ilbo. 2 May 2012. Retrieved 4 May 2012.
- "The “Independent Critics” List…. 100 Most Beautiful Faces of 2011". TC Candler.
- Girls’ Generation Nominated for ’2012 World Music Awards’ and ’2012 SBS MTV Best of the Best’
- "The “Independent Critics” List…. 100 Most Beautiful Faces of 2012". TC Candler.
- 제시카 수상소감 "무려 8천표가 넘었다니 대단하다" (in Korean). MBN. June 4, 2013. Retrieved May 27, 2015.
- "서울드라마어워즈 2013 한류 드라마부문". July 2013. Retrieved May 27, 2015.
- "The “Independent Critics” List…. 100 Most Beautiful Faces of 2013". TC Candler.
- "The “Independent Critics” List…. 100 Most Beautiful Faces of 2014". TC Candler.
- Jeff Benjamin (December 28, 2015). "NANA AND DIEGO BONETA NAMED "MOST BEAUTIFUL FACE IN THE WORLD"". Fuse. Retrieved February 2, 2016.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Jessica Jung.|