|Word/name||English derived from Hebrew|
|Meaning||Foresighted, "to see before"|
|Region of origin||Hebrew|
|Popularity||see popular names|
The oldest written record of the name with its current spelling is found as the name of the Shakespearean character Jessica, from the play The Merchant of Venice. The name may have been an Anglicisation of the biblical Iscah (from the Hebrew: יִסְכָּה : yisekāh), the name of a daughter of Haran briefly mentioned in the Book of Genesis 11:29. Iscah was rendered "Iesca" (Jeska) in the Matthew Bible version available in Shakespeare's day.
The original Hebrew name Yiskāh, means "foresight", or being able to see the potential in the future. The Hebrew root sakhah (ס.כ.ה) means "to see", so the name Yiskah, with the added future-tense yod, implies foresight. Iscah is the niece of Abraham.
"Jessica" was the first or second most popular female baby name in the United States from 1981-1997  before falling out of the Top 20 in 2004. It also rose to #1 in England and Wales in 2005, dropping to #3 in 2006. Common nicknames of the name Jessica include "Jess" and "Jessie".
- Jessica Abel (born 1969), American comic book writer and artist
- Jessica Alba (born 1981), American television and film actress
- Jessica Andersson (born 1973), a Swedish singer
- Jessica Andrews (born 1983), American country music singer
- Jessica Biel (born 1982), American actress and former model
- Jessica Brown Findlay (born 1989), English actress
- Jessica Burciaga (born 1983), American model
- Jessica Caban (born 1982), American model, dancer and actress
- Jessica Capshaw (born 1976), American actress
- Jessica Chastain (born 1977), American actress
- Jessica Cirio (born 1985), Argentine model
- Jessica Cornish, known as Jessie J (born 1988), British singer-songwriter
- Jessica-Jane Clement (born 1985), is a British glamour model, actress and TV presenter who is best known for starring in the BBC programme The Real Hustle
- Jessica DiCicco (born 1980), American actress
- Jessica Drake (born 1974), American pornographic actress
- Jessica Dubroff (1988–1996), American pilot trainee
- Jessica Deglau (born 1980), olympic swimmers in Canada
- Jessica Davenport (born 1985), is a reserve center for the WNBA's Indiana Fever
- Jessica Ennis, British athlete
- Jessica Eye (born 1986), is an American professional female mixed martial artist
- Jessica Eddie (born 1984), Rowing olympics on 2008 to 2012
- Jessica Friedman (born 1977), American actress
- Jessica Fodera (Jessicka, born 1975), American musician and artist, singer of Scarling. and Formerly of Jack Off Jill
- Jessica Folcker (born 1975), a Swedish singer
- Jessica Fox (born 1994), French-born Australian slalom canoer, Olympic silver (K-1 slalom), world championships bronze (C-1)
- Jessica Gomes (born 1985), Australian model
- Jessica Harp (born 1982), American country singer-songwriter and guitarist
- Jessica Hynes (born 1972), British actress, writer and comedian
- Jessica Iskandar (born 1988), is an Indonesian actress and model
- Jessica Iwanson (born 1948), born in Stockholm, Sweden
- Jessica Joseph (born 1982), is an American former ice dancer
- Jessica Jackley (born 1977), is an American businesswoman and entrepreneur
- Jessica Jaymes (born 1979), American pornographic actress
- Jessica Jung (born 1989), US-born Korean pop singer, former member of Girls' Generation
- Jessica Kelly Siobhan Reilly (born 1977), English actress
- Jessica Lange (born 1949), American actress
- Jessica Lee Rose (born 1987), American actress
- Jessica Lowndes (born 1988), Canadian actress and singer-songwriter
- Jessica Lu (born 1985), American actress
- Jessica Martin (born 1962), British actress and comedian
- Jessica Mauboy (born 1989), Australian singer
- Jessica McClure (born 1986), known as "Baby Jessica" when rescued from a well as a toddler
- Jessica Meir, American biologist and underwater diver
- Jessica Mitford (1917–1996), Anglo-American writer
- Jessica Moore (basketball) (born 1982), American basketball player in WNBA for the Indiana Fever
- Jessica Moore (journalist) (born 1982), American journalist
- Jessica Moore (tennis) (born 1990), Australian tennis player
- Jessica Care Moore (born 1971), American poet
- Jessica Origliasso (born 1984), Australian musician, member of the Veronicas
- Jessica Paré (born 1982), Canadian actress
- Jessica Sula (born 1994), Welsh actress
- Jessica Rossi (born 1992), Italian sport shooter, gold medalist at Summer Olympics 2012
- Jessica Sanchez (born 1995), American Idol S11 Runner-up, Interscope recording artist
- Jessica Savitch (1947–1983), American TV news reporter
- Jessica Serfaty (born 1990), American model
- Jessica Simpson (born 1980), American pop singer and actress
- Jessica Smith (editor) (born 1895-1983), American editor and activist
- Jessica Soho (born 1964), Filipina broadcast journalist
- Jessica Stam (born 1986), Canadian model
- Jessica Steinhauser, known as Asia Carrera (born 1973), American former pornographic actress
- Jessica Stroup (born 1986), American actress and model
- Jessica Sutta (born 1982), American dancer and singer, member of the Pussycat Dolls
- Jessica Szohr (born 1985), American actress
- Jessica Tandy (1909–1994), Anglo-American actress
- Jessica Taylor (born 1980), English singer, former member of Liberty X
- Jessica Utts (born 1952), is a statistics professor at the University of California, Irvine and an author of textbooks on statistics.
- Jessica Upshaw (born 1959-2013) was an American politician and lawyer
- Jessica Varnish (born 1990), is a British track cyclist
- Jessica Vetter (born 1985), is a member of the United States women's national ice hockey team.
- Jessica Voorsanger (born 1965), is an American and artist.
- Jessica Walter (born 1941), American actress
- Jessica White (born 1984), American Model
- Jessica Williams (born 1948), is an American pianist and composer
- Jessica Wong (born 1991), is an ice hockey player.
- Jessica Wich (born 1990), is a football striker
- Jessica Wright, former Assistant Secretary of Defense for Reserve Affairs at the United States Department of Defense
- Jessica Wahls (born 1977), is a German pop singer
- Jessica Yu (born 1966), American Film Director
- Jessica Yellin (born 1971), American Television
- Jessica Zelinka (born 1981), is a Canadian pentathlete
- Jessica Zhu (born 1986), is a Chinese-American pianist
- Jessica Zafra (born 1965), Filipino woman writers
- Sarah Jessica Parker (born 1965), American actress, model, singer and producer.
- Jessica, a character in The Merchant of Venice
- Jessica Baker, a character in the 2003 film Cheaper by the Dozen and its sequel
- Jessica "Jessie" Bannon of the TV series The Real Adventures of Jonny Quest
- Jessica Buchanan in the American soap opera One Life to Live
- Jessica Day in the sitcom New Girl
- Jessica Drew in the Marvel Comics Universe series Spider-Woman
- Jessica Fletcher in the American television mystery series Murder, She Wrote
- Jessica Glitter from How I Met Your Mother, Robin's childhood best friend and co-star
- Jessica Hamby in the HBO Series True Blood
- Jessica Jones superhero in the Marvel Universe
- Jessica Lovejoy of the TV series The Simpsons
- Jessica Moore (Supernatural) of the TV series Supernatural
- Jessica Stanley In the Twilight Saga written by Stephenie Meyer
- Jessica Rabbit in the Roger Rabbit film-and-novel franchise
- Jessica Sanders of the NBC Sci-Fi Drama Heroes
- Jessica Tate, a character in the American TV series Soap
- Jessica Wakefield of Sweet Valley High and Sweet Valley Twins
- Jessica Ushiromiya, a character from Umineko no Naku Koro ni
- Lady Jessica of the Sci-Fi Dune (franchise)
- Jessica Zajicek Kathy Griffin: My Life on the D-List
- Jessica (Reika), a character in Stitch!.
- Jessica Warren in Bones.
- Jessica, one of the playable characters in Until Dawn.
- Jessica James of "The Incredible Jessica James"
- All pages beginning with "Jessica"
- Jessie (disambiguation)
- Jess (disambiguation)
- Baby Jessica case
- Jessica's Law
- Jessica (instrumental)
- "Jesica - Name Meaning, What does Jesica mean?". www.thinkbabynames.com. Retrieved 11 August 2017.
- Hanks, P. & Hodges, F. A Dictionary of First Names. (1990). Oxford University Press. ISBN 0-19-211651-7.
- "Genesis 11:29 in Matthew, Geneva and King James' versions". Retrieved 11 August 2017.
- Karl Elze (1874), Essays on Shakespeare (PCMI collection), translated by L. Dora Schmitz, Macmillan and Company
- Most Popular 1000 Names of the 1980s. Social Security Administration (SSA), United States. Retrieved February 22, 2007.
- Most Popular 1000 Names of the 1990s. Social Security Administration (SSA), United States. Retrieved February 22, 2007.
- OACT. "Popular Baby Names". www.ssa.gov. Retrieved 11 August 2017.
- Baby Names, England and Wales, 2005. Office for National Statistics (ONS), United Kingdom. Released: 28 July 2011.
- Baby Names, England and Wales, 2006. Office for National Statistics (ONS), United Kingdom. Released: 28 July 2011.
- "Jewish Australian kayaker Jessica Fox takes silver medal". Retrieved 11 August 2017.
|This page or section lists people that share the same given name. If an internal link led you here, you may wish to change that link to point directly to the intended article.|