Jessica Brown Findlay
|Jessica Brown Findlay|
|Born||Jessica Rose Brown-Findlay
14 September 1987
Cookham, Berkshire, England
Jessica Rose Brown-Findlay (born 14 September 1989), known professionally as Jessica Brown Findlay, is an English actress, best known for playing Lady Sybil Crawley in the ITV series Downton Abbey and Emelia Conan-Doyle in the British comedy-drama film Albatross. In 2014, she starred as Beverly Penn in the film adaptation of the Mark Helprin novel Winter's Tale. She will also co-star in Paul McGuigan's Frankenstein remake.
Findlay was born and raised in Cookham, Berkshire. Her mother, Beverley, is a teacher's assistant and former nurse, and her father, Christopher Brown-Findlay, is a financial adviser and former investment banker. She has a younger sister named Katy, who teaches handicapped children. Findlay trained with the National Youth Ballet and the Associates of the Royal Ballet. At age 15, she was invited to dance with the Kirov at the Royal Opera House for a summer season.
Findlay attended Furze Platt Senior School in Maidenhead. At the end of her GCSEs, she was accepted to a number of ballet schools but chose to go to the Arts Educational School, because of the A-level courses it provided and its pastoral care. She attended for two years; in her second year, she had three operations on her ankles, the last of which went wrong. After this, she was told that she would never dance again. She said that she always had acting in the back of her mind, but was never really able to go out and try it. After encouragement from an art teacher, she finished her education at Arts Educational School, Tring Park and then moved on to a Fine Art course at the Central Saint Martins College of Art and Design.
Findlay was cast in the lead role of Emelia in the film Albatross, directed by Niall MacCormick. She was subsequently cast in two episodes of the E4 programme Misfits and in Downton Abbey, she played the youngest daughter of the Grantham household for three seasons before subsequently leaving the show to move forward in her career. She appeared in the second episode of Channel 4's Black Mirror. In 2012, she became the face of Dominic Jones' jewellery line and was cast in Not Another Happy Ending by John McKay, and in the miniseries Labyrinth, based on the novel of the same name written by Kate Mosse, portraying Alaïs Pelletier. In 2012, she was cast as Beverly Penn in the film adaptation of the novel Winter's Tale (2014) with Colin Farrell and Russell Crowe.
Tim Burton considered Findlay for the lead in his adaptation of Alice in Wonderland, but ultimately gave the role to Australian actress Mia Wasikowska. In March 2015, it was confirmed that she will star in the remake of The Crow, in which Findlay portrayed Shelly in a leading role.
In May 2015, Findlay made her theatre debut as Electra in a new adaptation of The Oresteia to rave reviews. The production later transferred to the Trafalgar Theatre in London's West End.
|2009||Man on a Motorcycle||Girl in Bed||Short film|
|2014||Winter's Tale||Beverly Penn|
|2014||The Riot Club||Rachel|
|2016||This Beautiful Fantastic||Filming|
|2010–2012||Downton Abbey||Lady Sybil Branson née Crawley||20 episodes|
|2011||Black Mirror||Abi Khan||Episode: "Fifteen Million Merits"|
|2012||Labyrinth||Alaïs Pelletier du Mas||Miniseries|
|2014||Jamaica Inn||Mary Yellan||Miniseries|
|2015||The Outcast||Alice Aldridge||Completed|
Awards and nominations
|2011||British Independent Film Awards||Most Promising Newcomer||Albatross||Nominated|
|2012||Evening Standard British Film Awards||Most Promising Newcomer||Albatross||Nominated|
- Kaleen Aftab (6 October 2011). "The Lady is a champ: Why everyone is talking about Jessica Brown Findlay". Retrieved 19 January 2012.
- Mike Fleming (3 February 2013). "Star In ‘Winter’s Tale’".
- "Downton Abbey Press Pack" (PDF). ITV.
- Georgina Littlejohn (9 October 2011). "What would they say at Downton? Abbey's Jessica Brown Findlay shakes off Lady Sybil in first 'shocking' film role". Daily Mail. Retrieved 19 January 2012.
- "Jessica Brown Findlay to star in Not Another Happy Ending". 9 December 2011. Retrieved 19 January 2012.
- "Meet the young cast of Labyrinth". 30 December 2011. Retrieved 19 January 2012.
- Mike Fleming (21 March 2012). "Star In ‘Winter’s Tale’".
- Georgina Littlejohn (9 October 2011). "What would they say at Downton? Abbey's Jessica Brown Findlay shakes off Lady Sybil in first 'shocking' film role". Daily Mail. Retrieved 16 September 2012.
- "More News Confirmed For ‘The Crow’ Remake". 16 March 2015.
- "The Crow – Downton Abbey Star Joins Cast; More Details". 15 March 2015.
- "BBC One: The Outcast: Episode 1 credits". http://www.bbc.co.uk. Retrieved 20 July 2015.
- "British Independent Film Awards 2011: Nominations". 5 November 2011.
- "Evening Standard British Film Awards 2012: Nominations". 17 January 2012.