July 7, 1959 |
Massapequa, New York, United States
|Partner(s)||Ron Leavitt (m. 1991; his death 2008)|
Jessica Hahn (born July 7, 1959) is an American model and actress. She accused televangelist Jim Bakker of rape while she was employed as a church secretary. She frequently appeared on The Howard Stern Show throughout the late 1980s and into the 2000s.
Jim Bakker scandal
Hahn first came to public attention following Jim Bakker's announcement on March 19, 1987, that he was stepping down as head of PTL Satellite Network and Heritage USA, pending the imminent disclosure of a sexual encounter between the two of them. According to Hahn, on the afternoon of December 6, 1980, when she was a 21-year-old church secretary, she was drugged and raped by Bakker and another preacher, John Wesley Fletcher, for "about 15 minutes". Hahn was given a $279,000 pay-off for her silence, which was paid with PTL's funds to Hahn through Bakker associate Roe Messner. Bakker, who made all of the financial decisions for the PTL organization, allegedly kept two sets of books to conceal the accounting irregularities. Reporters from The Charlotte Observer, led by Charles Shepard, investigated and published a series of articles regarding the PTL organization's finances. This precipitated Bakker's resignation and the publication of Hahn's claims. In his 1997 book, I Was Wrong, Bakker disputed Hahn's account, claiming that he was "set up" and that the sex was consensual.
Acting and modeling career
After the public revelation of the Bakker scandal, Hahn posed nude for Playboy (November 1987, December 1987 and September 1988) and videos and appeared in several television shows, including Married... with Children. She was also known for her frequent appearances on The Howard Stern Show throughout the late 1980s and into the 2000s.
Hahn was born in Massapequa, New York. She had a relationship with comedian Sam Kinison and appeared in his music video for "Wild Thing" in 1988. In 1991, she began a relationship with the co-creator of Married...with Children, Ron Leavitt, which continued until Leavitt's death in 2008.
In popular culture
- Hollywood: The Movie (1996) (V) as Esther
- Unhappily Ever After as Miss Taylor (3 episodes, 1995)
- Amanda and the Alien (1995) (TV) as TV Host
- Blossom as Girl #1 (1 episode, 1992)
- Dream On as Reporter 1 (1 episode, 1992)
- Bikini Summer II (1992) as Marilyn
- Married... with Children as Ricki (1 episode, 1991)
- "Brittania Video" directed by Bryan Michael Stoller 1990
- Richard N. Ostling (April 6, 1987). "TV's Unholy Row: A sex-and-money scandal tarnishes electronic evangelism". Time. Archived from the original on March 15, 2007.
- "Magazine Buys Story From Jessica Hahn". The New York Times. July 14, 1987.
- Andrew L. Yarrow (September 28, 1987). "Celebrities of Summer Are Cashing In". The New York Times.
- "Church Chat, Season 13: Episode 6, Saturday Night Live transcript". December 5, 1987.
- "Judge Orders Ex-PTL Secretary To Repay Hush Money to Ministry". The New York Times. July 21, 1988.
- "Transcript of interview with Larry King". CNN. July 14, 2005.
- "Larry King Live Interview with Jessica Hahn (rush transcript)". CNN. July 14, 2005. Retrieved July 29, 2007.
- Ostling, Richard N. (August 3, 1987). "Enterprising Evangelism". Time. Retrieved 2007-01-27.
- Jim Bakker (1997). I Was Wrong: The Untold Story of the Shocking Journey from PTL Power to Prison and Beyond. Thomas Nelson. p. 512. ISBN 978-0-7852-7136-9.
- List of people in Playboy 1980–89#1987
- "Married with Children episode 'So This Is How Sinatra Felt (1991)' trivia". IMDb. 1991. Retrieved 19 July 2012.
- "So why did the LA Times leave Jessica Hahn out of Ron Leavitt's obit?". Tabloid Baby. 12 February 2008. Retrieved 19 July 2012.
- "Amused to Death - Roger Waters". Google Play.