June 28, 1965 |
Princeton, New Jersey, U.S.
Jessica Hecht (born June 28, 1965) is an American actress and singer, known for numerous Broadway appearances and TV roles.
Early life and education
Hecht was born in Princeton, New Jersey, the daughter of Lenore, a psychotherapist, and Richard Hecht, a physicist. When she was three, Jessica moved with her parents and her sister to Bloomfield, Connecticut. Following the divorce of her parents, her mother remarried when Jessica was twelve and her sister Elizabeth was fourteen. They were brought up by her mother and her step-father Howard Iger, a psychiatrist, who had custody of his children, Andrea, age five, and Russell, age 3. The new family grew quite close, and Jessica had the support of all three parents as she struggled to become an actress.
Hecht has made appearances in television shows such as Lois & Clark, ER, Seinfeld, Friends, Once and Again, Law & Order, Breaking Bad, Bored to Death and The Good Wife; and in movies such as Sideways, Anarchy TV, and Kicking and Screaming. Hecht is known for her recurring role on Friends as Susan Bunch, the wife of Ross Geller's ex-wife, Carol Willick.
In 2012, she performed on Broadway with Jim Parsons in Harvey. Hecht was nominated for a Tony Award for Best Featured Actress for her role in A View From The Bridge on Broadway with Scarlett Johansson and Liev Schrieber, which wrapped on April 4, 2010. She also had a semi-recurring role as Gretchen Schwartz on the popular AMC drama series Breaking Bad, and appeared in a guest role on Desperate Housewives in 2011.
She has been married to Adam Bernstein, a film director, since 1995. They have two children together, Stella and Carlo Bernstein. Hecht was raised in a "pretty secular" Jewish household; she has stated that she is "Reconstructionist Jewish and I'm fairly spiritual".
- Jessica Hecht Biography (1965-)
- (May 21, 2010). Jessica Hecht Buys Flat in Landmark Building, The New York Times
- Kolson, Ann (September 28, 1997). Up & Coming: Jessica Hecht; Working All the Time Is Her Idea of Fun, The New York Times
- Keveney, Bill (February 1, 1996). Jessica Hecht's Got Double Vision, Star-News
- Isherwood, Charles (June 14, 2012). "Hope Is a Thing With Long, Fuzzy Ears: ‘Harvey,’ With Jim Parsons, at Studio 54". New York Times.
- (August 19, 2011). Jessica Hecht to Guest Star on DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES, Broadway World
- Jessica Hecht at the Internet Movie Database
- Jessica Hecht Discusses Breaking Bad at AMCtv.com
- Jessica Hecht at the Williamstown Theater Festival