Jung in March 2018
April 18, 1989
San Francisco, California, United States
|Other names||Jung Soo-yeon|
|Relatives||Krystal Jung (sister)|
|Website||Blanc & Eclare|
|Revised Romanization||Jeong Su-yeon|
|Revised Romanization||Jesika Jeong|
Jessica Jung (born April 18, 1989), known professionally as Jessica, is an American singer and actress known for her work as a former member of the South Korean girl group Girls' Generation. As an actress, Jung portrayed Elle Woods in the Korean version of Legally Blonde musical in 2010, and played a role in the television drama Wild Romance in 2012. In early 2014, she established a fashion brand, Blanc & Eclare. Later that year, she was dismissed from the group Girls' Generation due to conflicts between the group's schedule and her own business activities. Following the dismissal, Jessica ended her contract with S.M. Entertainment and signed with Coridel Entertainment in 2016, prior to the release of her debut solo album, With Love, J. In May 2018, Jessica signed a contract with United Talent Agency.
Jung was born in San Francisco. While on vacation in South Korea, she and her sister, Krystal, were spotted in a shopping mall by a member of SM Entertainment; she later joined the company in 2000. She spent seven years as a trainee before debuting as part of the Korean girl group Girls' Generation. Jessica attended Korea Kent Foreign School during her teenage years.
2007–2014: Girls' Generation
Jessica was the first member of what would become Girls' Generation to sign with SM Entertainment in 2000. In 2007, she was chosen as a member of the nine-member girl group that debuted on August 5, 2007. In addition to her group activities, Jessica released two singles with Seohyun and Tiffany: "Love Hate" (Hangul: "오빠 나빠", lit. Bad Older Brother) and "Mabinogi (It's Fantastic!)". Jessica collaborated with 8Eight for the song "I Love You" from their second album, Infinity, which was released on March 3, 2008. Though she was the one singing the harmony and adlibs, she is not seen in the music video. In addition, she had various duets — one with Shinee member, Onew, called "One Year Later", and one with Park Myung-soo, "Naengmyeon". She sang the "Seoul Song" with Super Junior's Leeteuk, Sungmin, Donghae, Siwon, Ryeowook and Kyuhyun and fellow group members Taeyeon, Sunny, Sooyoung and Seohyun. Jessica made her musical theatre debut in the South Korean production of Legally Blonde, alongside Lee Ha-nui and Kim Ji-woo; the production opened on November 14, 2009. The same year, she took a special part on the show Infinity Challenge for their summer special, in which she was chosen to sing a duet entitled "Naengmyun" with Park Myung-soo, one of the MCs.
In March 2010, she had a cameo role on SBS' Oh! My Lady. In May 2010, Jessica became a regular guest on the show Happy Birthday until she withdrew on June 7, 2010, due to Girls' Generation's overseas activities. She was also a regular guest on the show Star King with fellow member Yuri. Jessica released a digital single titled "Sweet Delight" on October 13, 2010. In 2011, Jessica participated on the soundtrack of the KBS drama Romance Town with the song "Because Tears Are Overflowing" (Korean: 눈물이 넘쳐서). Jessica made her acting debut in Wild Romance in 2012. In the same year, Jessica returned to musical theatre once again with Legally Blonde, alongside Jung Eun-ji and Choi Woori. Her first performance was on November 28. In the same year, Jessica sang "What To Do" (featuring Kim Jin-pyo) for the drama Wild Romance, "Butterfly" (featuring Krystal) for To The Beautiful You, "Heart Road" for The King's Dream, as well as "My Lifestyle", a Hyundai i30's commercial song. In 2013, she had "The One Like You" for Dating Agency: Cyrano.
In 2014, Jessica released "Say Yes"' for the Make Your Move soundtrack, featuring her sister, Krystal, and Exo's former member, Kris. In August, Jung launched her own fashion line, Blanc, which was later renamed Blanc & Eclare. There are now sixty stores located around the world. Jessica and her sister Krystal starred in their own reality television show Jessica & Krystal. It premiered on June 3 and consisted of ten episodes. On September 30, 2014, Jessica announced on her personal Weibo account that she had been "forced out" of the group. SM Entertainment later confirmed this, stating that Jung would no longer be a member of Girls' Generation due to continuing scheduling conflicts. The company also stated that Girls' Generation would continue to promote with eight members while it would still manage her solo activities. Jessica also released a statement of her own through her fashion company, Blanc Group, explaining that she had been asked to leave Girls' Generation by the agency and the other members of the group. Jessica's final song with Girls' Generation was "Divine", which was included in the repackaged version of their Japanese greatest hits album, The Best.
2015–present: Solo career
In 2015, Jessica was confirmed to be the female lead in the Chinese romantic comedy film titled I Love That Crazy Little Thing, alongside William Chan and Nicholas Tse. The film was released in August 2016, and Jessica collaborated with Chan on the theme song "Love! Love! Aloha!". On August 6, 2015, SM Entertainment released an official statement stating that the company and the former member of Girls' Generation had officially parted ways. The following year, Jessica was confirmed to be the female lead in the autobiographical film about Stephon Marbury titled My Other Home, alongside Marbury himself. She was also cast in the short action comedy Two Bellmen Three alongside Ki Hong Lee. She took a part in Chinese sport's variety show YES! Coach as well, where she participated in a swimming competition after being trained by professional swimmer Sun Yang. Jessica then became the main host of the beauty show Beauty Bible, alongside Kim Jae-kyung.
In February, Jessica announced that her first solo album would be released under her new agency, Coridel Entertainment. In April 2016, representatives announced that Jung would release her first album in May. On April 30, Coridel Entertainment released the track list which included the title track "Fly" featuring Fabolous. Jung wrote and composed four of the six tracks. The name of the extended play was revealed to be With Love, J, and was released on May 17, 2016, along with the lead single, "Fly". The music video for "Fly" amassed over 2 million views within 24 hours of its release. A video for the second single, "Love Me the Same," was released the following day on May 18, 2016. With Love, J topped eight music charts, and also ranked first on the Hanteo Weekly Chart and Gaon Weekly Album Chart. The same year, Jung held an Asian fan-meet tour which commenced in Seoul on June 1, continuing on to other countries such as Thailand, Taiwan, and Japan. The tour ended on November 5 in Shanghai. Further shows scheduled to take place in Singapore, Indonesia, Philippines, and Vietnam were cancelled due to health problems and concerns of overwork for Jessica before the release of her next album.
In December, Jung made a comeback with a Christmas EP called Wonderland, composed of six songs, all of which she took part in writing. The album, and its eponymous title track, was released on December 10. It also has an English-language version, with four of the six original Korean tracks.
On April 14, 2017, Coridel Entertainment released a series of teaser pictures confirming that Jessica was set to make her first comeback of the year with a digital single titled "Because it's Spring", on April 18, 2017. In the same month, Forbes included Jessica in their 30 Under 30 Asia 2017 list which comprises 30 influential people under 30 years old who have made substantial effect in their fields. The song was later included on her third EP My Decade, released on August 9, 2017 to celebrate her 10th anniversary since debuting. Jessica took part in writing five of the six songs on the album. The lead single "Summer Storm" and its music video were released on the same day. In July 2017, Jung embarked on her first mini-concert tour titled "On Cloud Nine". The tour's first show was in Taipei, taking place on July 29, 2017. Jung also held shows in Seoul, Osaka, Tokyo, and Bangkok as part of the tour. A show scheduled to take place in Hong Kong on October 15, 2017 was cancelled due to Typhoon Khanun affecting the area. The final show of "On Cloud Nine" took place in Macau on March 3, 2018.
In May 2018, it was revealed that Jessica had signed with United Talent Agency. The agency will represent her in North America for music, film, television and endorsements. In October, Jung held a second mini-concert in Taiwan titled "Golden Night". On December 14, Jessica released a Christmas single titled "One More Christmas" in collaboration with South Korean makeup brand AMUSE Cosmetics.
During a mini concert at Taiwan in July 2017, Jung revealed that her birth name, as on her passport, is "Jessica Jung", whereas her Korean name "Soo-yeon" was only obtained on a later date due to necessity.
Concerts and tours
|2012||I AM.||Herself||Biographical film of SM Town|||
|2016||I Love That Crazy Little Thing||Qian Qian|
|2017||Two Bellmen Three||Mi-na Kim|
|My Other Home||Yang Chen||Biographical film for Stephon Marbury|||
|2008||Unstoppable Marriage||Bulgwang-dong's Seven Princesses Gang||Cameo|
|2009||Tae-hee, Hye-kyo, Ji-hyun!||English teacher||Cameo|
|2010||Oh! My Lady||Herself||Cameo|
|2012||Wild Romance||Kang Jong-hee||Supporting role|
|2014||Jessica & Krystal||Herself||Lead cast member (with Krystal Jung).|
|2016||Beauty Bible||Herself||Main host (with Kim Jae-kyung).|
|2017||Mix Nine||Herself||Coridel Entertainment representative|
|2009–10; 2012–13||Legally Blonde||Elle Woods||Lead role|
Awards and nominations
|2012||Barbie & Ken Awards||Korean Barbie Award||N/A||Won|||
|2nd SBS MTV Best of the Best||Best Cameo||Sherlock||Nominated|||
|2013||7th The Musical Awards||Popularity Award||Legally Blonde||Won|||
|8th Seoul International Drama Awards||Most Popular Drama OST (with Krystal Jung)||"Butterfly"||Nominated|||
|2014||7th Style Icon Awards||Top 10 Style Icons (with Krystal Jung)||Jessica & Krystal||Nominated|
|Mission Hills World Celebrity Pro-Am 2014||Popularity Award||N/A||Won|||
|Yahoo Asia Buzz Awards||Most Searched Korean Female Artist||Won|||
|Sohu Fashion Awards||Asian Fashion Icon||Won|||
|2015||Yahoo Asia Buzz Awards||Asian Popularity Award||Won|||
|2016||YinYueTai 4th V Chart Awards||Hot Trend Artist of Korea Award||Won|||
|2017||2017 Fashionista Awards||Global Icon||Nominated|||
- "제시카 :: 네이버 인물검색". people.search.naver.com (in Korean). Retrieved December 21, 2017.
- "Jessica (제시카, American musical actor/ress, actress, singer)". HanCinema. Retrieved December 21, 2017.
- "Jessica Jung, Formerly of Girls' Generation, Signs With Talent Agency UTA". May 7, 2018. Retrieved May 8, 2018.
- "Person details for Jessica Sooyoun Jung, 'California, Birth Index, 1905–1995'". FamilySearch. Retrieved February 26, 2015.[unreliable source?]
- Factory Girls: Cultural technology and the making of K-pop Newyorker.com (October 8, 2012). Retrieved on January 12, 2015.
- (in Korean) Chosun.com: 제시카, "관객 앞에서의 제 목소리에 감동했어요", February 18, 2009
- (in Korean) Kim Hyeong-wu. 소녀시대 티파니 “‘오빠나빠’ 활동 당시 성대 결절 고생” (Girls' Generation's Tiffany: "'Bad Older Brother' Activities Were Difficult on Vocal Nodules"). JoongAng Ilbo/Newsen. February 16, 2009. Retrieved February 26, 2010.
- (in Korean) 소녀시대 티파니 제시카 서현 게임 주제가 신곡 발표 (Girls' Generation's Tiffany/Jessica/Seohyun Announce Game Theme Song as New Single). IS Plus/Newsen. August 1, 2008. Retrieved May 4, 2010.
- Chung Ah-young. 'Legally Blonde' Sparkles With Starry Cast. The Korea Times. September 16, 2009. Retrieved February 22, 2010.
- 3 Starts to Share Lead in 'Legally Blonde' Musical. The Chosun Ilbo. October 31, 2009. Retrieved February 22, 2010.
- "'냉면' 제시카, "박명수 아빠같이 자상하다"". daum.net (in Korean). July 19, 2009. Retrieved April 20, 2016.
- (in Korean) 소녀시대, 최시원과 의리 지키며 '오 마이 레이디'서 카메오 출연 (SNSD Makes Cameo Appearance on "Oh! My Lady", Showing Loyalty to Choi Siwon). asiae/Newsen. March 7, 2010. Retrieved on April 9, 2010
- (in Korean) Bae Sunyoung: 제시카 ‘해피 버스데이‘ 5주 출연 끝, 7일 하차 (Jessica, After Five Weeks of Appearances in 'Happy Birthday', Will be Withdrawing on 7th), Newsen.com. June 5, 2010. Retrieved June 6, 2010.
- "제시카 로맨스타운 OST 공개, 네티즌 "너무 달콤하다"" (in Korean). Financial News. May 18, 2011. Retrieved May 20, 2015.
- Park, Young Woong (February 15, 2012). "Violent Romance, SNSD's Jessica and Lee Dong Wook have a romantic date". StarNews. Retrieved February 28, 2015.
- "Jessica Jung - IMDb". imdb.com. Retrieved March 25, 2017.
- Jessica sings for KBS drama Korea JoongAng Daily (September 6, 2012). Retrieved on January 12, 2015.
- "Girls' Generation (SNSD) Jessica Sings "My Lifestyle" at 'PYL Younique Show'". KpopStarz. October 18, 2012. Retrieved March 25, 2017.
- "제시카, '시라노'에 감성 더했다… OST '그대라는 한 사람' 발매" (in Korean). asiae.co.kr. July 2, 2013. Retrieved March 25, 2017.
- "Jessica Renames Fashion Brand To "Blanc & Eclare"". KBS. October 6, 2014. Retrieved February 28, 2015.
- Bai, Stephany (December 15, 2016). "K-Pop Star Jessica Jung On Identity, Fashion, and Life After Girls' Generation". nbc.com. NBC News. Retrieved March 25, 2017.
- "SNSD's Jessica and f(x)'s Krystal to Star in New Program 'Jessica & Krystal'". CJ E&M enewsWorld. Retrieved August 3, 2015.
- "Sisters Jessica and Krystal Get Sassy and Charming in Reality Show Teaser Video". CJ E&M enewsWorld. Retrieved August 3, 2015.
- "SNSD Jessica and f(x)'s Krystal Share on Wrapping Up ′Jessica & Krystal′". mwave.interest.me. Newsen. Retrieved August 3, 2015.
- SM states that SNSD will promote as eight without Jessica Mwave.interest.me (September 30, 2014). Retrieved on September 30, 2014.
- SMTown's Official Statement Archived June 11, 2017, at the Wayback Machine SM Entertainment (September 30, 2014). Retrieved on October 1, 2014.
- Jessica releases a statement of her own Mwave.interest.me (October 1, 2014). Retrieved on February 27, 2015.
- "[SS차이나톡] "소녀 느낌 물씬" 제시카, 풋풋한 매력 발산" (in Korean). entertain.naver.com. June 20, 2016. Retrieved March 25, 2017.
- "Singer Jessica quits SM Entertainment". The Korea Times. August 6, 2015. Retrieved August 10, 2015.
- Hendricks, Jaclyn (April 19, 2016). "Meet the Korean pop star who'll help tell Stephon Marbury's life story". New York Post. Retrieved April 28, 2016.
- "Coridel Entertainment - Artists". www.coridel.com. Retrieved February 29, 2016.
- "Jessica Jung To Release First Album After Girls' Generation — Signed Copies Free To Shoppers Buying $250 Worth Of Blanc & Eclare Cosmetics". The Inquisitr News. February 21, 2016. Retrieved February 21, 2016.
- "제시카 측 "5월 컴백 맞다…막바지 준비·날짜 조율 중"". nate.com. April 18, 2016. Retrieved April 20, 2016.
- coridelent1. "[제시카] 최종 트랙리스트 공개". CORIDEL ENTERTAINMENT. Retrieved May 11, 2016.
- Herman, Tamar (May 17, 2016). "Jessica Jung on Recording Solo After Girls' Generation: 'I Was Really Surprised I Could Have Input'". Billboard. Retrieved March 25, 2017.
- "Jessica's 'With Love, J' ranks incredibly high on 'Hanteo' and 'Billboard'". allkpop. Retrieved June 7, 2018.
- "Jessica successfully completes her fan meeting in Seoul". allkpop. Retrieved September 24, 2018.
- "Thailand Fan Meeting 2016 JESSICA 1st PREMIUM LIVE SHOWCASE in BANGKOK". Hiso Party (in Thai). June 3, 2016. Retrieved September 24, 2018.
- "Jessica to have a fan meeting in Taiwan". allkpop. Retrieved September 24, 2018.
- "Jessica makes some precious memories with her fans in Japan". allkpop. Retrieved September 24, 2018.
- "JESSICA WOWS A PACKED HOUSE FOR SHANGHAI FAN MEETING". b2talentasia.com. Retrieved September 24, 2018.
- Renzxoxo (November 5, 2016). "'Jessica Jung's' "Fanmeet" In 4 Cities Cancelled". GoodMoMusic. Retrieved September 24, 2018.
- Lee, Jae-hoon (November 30, 2016). "제시카, 새 앨범 '원더랜드' 12월 공개" (in Korean). newsis.com. Retrieved March 25, 2017.
- Wonderland - EP by Jessica, December 30, 2016, retrieved June 7, 2018
- Kim, Sol-ji (April 14, 2017). "제시카, 새 앨범 티저 이미지 공개…'봄이라서 그래'" (in Korean). entertain.naver.com. Retrieved April 16, 2017.
- "30 Under 30 Asia 2017: Celebrities". Forbes. Retrieved April 19, 2017.
- admin. "[JESSICA] Jessica On Cloud Nine Live in Hong Kong Cancellation". CORIDEL ENTERTAINMENT. Retrieved June 19, 2018.
- "Jessica On Cloud Nine 10th Anniversary Live". www.jessicaoncloudnineinbkk.com. Retrieved May 17, 2018.
- Lloyd Choi (June 4, 2017), 1st Mini Concert in Taiwan "On Cloud Nine" Jessica Message, retrieved May 17, 2018
- admin. "[제시카] Jessica On Cloud Nine 10th Anniversary Live in Seoul (수정)". CORIDEL ENTERTAINMENT (in Korean). Retrieved May 17, 2018.
- "Jessica to Bring Her On Cloud Nine Live Tour to Hong Kong this October - (x)clusive★". (x)clusive★. August 23, 2017. Retrieved May 17, 2018.
- "JESSICA （ジェシカ）"On Cloud Nine" Live in Japan". JESSICA （ジェシカ）“On Cloud Nine” Live in Japan (in Japanese). Retrieved May 17, 2018.
- "Jessica《On Cloud Nine Mini Concert in Macau》20180303". HK.KPOP.PAGE. March 5, 2018. Retrieved May 17, 2018.
- "K-Pop Star Jessica Jung Signs with UTA".
- 美麗佳人, Marie Claire. "台灣Golden Stars準備囉！女神潔西卡Jessica將於10月登台開唱". Marie Claire 美麗佳人 (in Chinese). Retrieved December 21, 2018.
- "Watch: Jessica Sings Give Me "One More Christmas" In Holiday Music Film". Soompi. Retrieved December 21, 2018.
- 吳睿慈 (July 29, 2017). "Jessica隱藏10年公佈！ 「我的本名其實不是鄭秀妍」". ETNEWS. Retrieved July 29, 2017.
- "Documentary Shows Top K-Pop Singers Behind the Scenes". The Chosun Ilbo. May 2, 2012. Retrieved May 4, 2012.
- "纽约人在北京 (豆瓣)". movie.douban.com. Retrieved June 3, 2016.
- Annie (June 4, 2014). "Reality Shows Give Fans A Closer Look At SM Entertainment's Biggest Stars, Sisters Jessica And Krystal Jung And Boy Band EXO". KpopStarz. Retrieved January 23, 2017.
- "Jessica Jung Solo Debut Expected To Coincide With Girls' Generation Member Comebacks". KpopStarz. March 2, 2016. Retrieved March 7, 2016.
- GFY. "The Jessica & Jaekyung era of 'Beauty Bible' is looking promising". Asian Junkie. Retrieved May 11, 2016.
- Song Hyo-jin (October 18, 2012). "[현장포토] "사람이야 인형이야?"…제시카, 살아있는 바비" (in Korean). Dispatch. Retrieved December 22, 2017.
- Cho Jun-won (October 19, 2012). "[포토]소녀시대 제시카 '바비인형을 뛰어넘은 미모'" (in Korean). asiatoday.co.kr. Retrieved December 22, 2017.
- "2012 SBS MTV Best of the Best". mtv.co.kr. Archived from the original on March 17, 2016. Retrieved March 25, 2017.
- 제시카 수상소감 "무려 8천표가 넘었다니 대단하다" (in Korean). MBN. June 4, 2013. Retrieved May 27, 2015.
- "서울드라마어워즈 2013 한류 드라마부문". July 2013. Retrieved May 27, 2015.
- "Jessica shares more pictures of her with international celebrities Yao Ming, Morgan Freeman, Jay Chou and more". Venture Capital Post. November 1, 2014. Retrieved April 28, 2016.
- "Jessica Receives Award At Yahoo Asia Buzz Awards 2014". KpopStarz. December 10, 2014. Retrieved April 28, 2016.
- "Jessica Expresses Her Love For China "China Is Like My Two Arms"". KpopStarz. December 25, 2014. Retrieved April 28, 2016.
- kpopmap, kpop-map (December 11, 2015). "Jessica Wins A Popularity Award At Yahoo! Asia Buzz Awards 2015 • Kpopmap". Kpopmap. Retrieved March 12, 2016.
- "Jessica bags China's V Chart Awards". kpopherald.koreaherald.com. Retrieved April 28, 2016.
- ""올해는 누구?" 2017 패셔니스타 어워즈, 더욱 뜨겁게 돌아온다" (in Korean). Retrieved December 21, 2017.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Jessica Jung.|