|Born||Jessica Elizabeth Vascellaro|
May 11, 1983
|Years active||2005 - current|
Jessica E. Lessin is a journalist and founder and editor-in-chief of the technology website The Information. Before founding The Information in December 2013, Lessin spent eight years at The Wall Street Journal covering the technology and media industries.
Early life and education
Lessin was born Jessica Elizabeth Vascellaro. Her father, Jerome Vascallero, is the COO of private equity firm TPG Capital and is a trustee at Brown University. She attended New Canaan Country School in Connecticut before enrolling in Harvard in 2001. She graduated from Harvard College in 2005, Magna Cum Laude, Phi Beta Kappa with a degree in history. While at Harvard, she wrote for The Harvard Crimson and served as an executive editor.
After graduating from Harvard, she completed an internship at the Wall Street Journal, then was taken on as a staff member. During her tenure at the publication, Lessin wrote more than a thousand articles and news stories while covering Apple, Google, Yahoo, Facebook, Twitter and other global technology and telecom companies. She was part of the team that was a 2012 Pulitzer Finalist for a series on digital privacy. The team won a public service award from the Society of Professional Journalists for that same series. She has appeared on CNBC, NPR, CNN and PBS's "The Charlie Rose Show" and is a regular speaker at international conferences.
By 2017, the company expanded the markets it covered, opened offices in Hong Kong and New York City had grown to 22 staff members. That same year, Lessin announced that The Information was launching a business accelerator aimed at building subscription-based news organizations.
- "The 19 Hottest Power Couples in Tech". Financial Post.
- Mathew Ingram. "The Founder of The Information on What Media Companies Are Doing Wrong". Fortune.
- "Lack of centralized cloud infrastructure team hampering Apple's development of iCloud services – report". Apple Insider. By Katie MarsalNovember 24, 2014,
- "Apple Watch: Apple Silent On Smartwatch’s Battery Life". International Business Times, By Thomas Halleck on September 9, 2014.
- "New Venture for AllThingsD Journalists". New York Times, By RAVI SOMAIYAJAN. 2, 2014.
- Luis Suarez-Villa (December 9, 2014). Corporate Power, Oligopolies, and the Crisis of the State. SUNY Press. pp. 243–. ISBN 978-1-4384-5485-6.
- "Fusion Set to Name Director of Media Innovation". New York Times, By EMILY STEEL, September 7, 2014.
- Merissa Marr. "Inside (The) Information". Columbia Journalism Review.
- Lucia Moses. "How Jessica Lessin Used Her Reporting Chops to Build The Information". Digiday.
- Michael Firestone; Stephanie Kendall; Jessica Vascellaro. "The Case For Senior Gift". The Harvard Crimson.
- "It’s iTime: Apple gets to work on glass smartwatch". Irish Examiner, February 13, 2013. By Karen O'Shea
- "Interview: Former Google CEO Eric Schmidt talks Apple". iPhone Developers, December 5, 2012 | Chase Tillar
- "The Pulitzer Prizes – Finalists". pulitzer.org.
- Robert Andrews (March 20, 2014). "The Information's Jessica Lessin on building a subscription business – video". the Guardian.
- "The future of news: know thy audience". the Guardian.
- Eric Johnson. "Jessica Lessin Built a Business to Prove Information Doesn't Have to Be Free". Recode.
- "Most Influential Tech Women on Twitter – Business Insider". Business Insider. May 18, 2014.
- Brady Dale. "The Information's Founder Jessica Lessin Nudges News Past Its Funny Money Era". Observer.
- Alyson Shontell. "A Facebook Executive's Wedding was the Tech Networking Event of The Year". Business Insider.
- Josh Constine. "Inside 'Fin,' the elite human/AI assistant". TechCrunch.