Jessica Robinson (performer)
28 November 1991 |
Middlesbrough, Yorkshire, England
|Other names||Jessica Close|
|Website||Page at BBC|
Jessica Robinson (sometimes credited as 'Jessica Close' or 'Jessica Daley', born 28 November 1991) is an English singer and actress. Robinson is most noted for her participation in the 2010 BBC talent-search Over the Rainbow.
As a child, Robinson attended St Gabriel’s Primary School followed by St Peter's Secondary School, in Middlesbrough.
As a youth Robinson performed as part of the Middlesbrough Youth Theatre in which she played the part of Fantine in Les Miserables, company and in 2006 also went on to compete the kids version of Stars in Their Eyes where she performed as the Australian actress/singer Natalie Imbruglia. Jessica took part in heat two which also featured the eventual series winner, 9 year old Christopher Napier, performing as George Formby, and the 2008 Miss Dance of Great Britain competition.
Over the Rainbow
Robinson took part in Over the Rainbow, a BBC talent-search looking for an actress/singer to play Dorothy Gale in Andrew Lloyd Webber's production of The Wizard of Oz. She advanced to the sixth week, whereupon she was voted off following a sing-off against Danielle Hope, the show's eventual winner.
|Week one (03/04/10)||"Rehab" (Amy Winehouse)|
|Week two (10/04/10)||"The Voice Within" (Christina Aguilera)|
|Week three (17/04/10)||"Crazy Little Thing Called Love" (Queen)|
|Week four (24/04/10)||"There You'll Be" (Faith Hill)|
|Week five (01/05/10)||"Cabaret" (from Cabaret)|
|Week six (08/05/10)||"Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious" (from Mary Poppins)|
After Over the Rainbow
Following her being voted off the show, Robinson stated that her immediate plans were to find retail work in order to fund a performing arts course. Robinson currently studies at the Arts Educational School. She was lauded for her efforts at raising Middlesbrough's profile and performed at the 2010 Middlesbrough Music Live event with The Wildcats of Kilkenny.
In August 2010 it was announced that Robinson would temporarily take over fellow Over the Rainbow alumni Stephanie Fearon's role in Smokey Joe's Cafe. Robinson performed for three nights in late August while Fearon recovered after an operation.
Continuing to support her hometown's vibrant cultural scene, Robinson took the title role in the Christmas 2011 pantomime "Snow White" at Middlesbrough Little Theatre, and in April 2012 she starred in the video for Middlesbrough-based band Collectors Club's debut single, First to Know.
Robinson performed in Mamma Mia! on London's West End as Ali.
Robinson is part of the cast of Les Miserables Dubai.
- "Jessica". BBC. Retrieved 10 August 2010.
- Sophie Barley (21 October 2011). "Jessica Robinson in Snow White in Middlesbrough". GazetteLive.co.uk: Teesside Evening Gazette. Retrieved 23 December 2011.
- "Over familiar". London: The Sun. 27 March 2010. Retrieved 10 August 2010.
- youtube.com, Talent 2007
- "Heat Four". Archived from the original on 12 May 2010. Retrieved 10 August 2010.
- "Jessica's Performance - Over the Rainbow - Episode 3 - BBC One". YouTube. 3 April 2010. Retrieved 13 September 2010.
- "Jessica's Performance - Over the Rainbow - Episode 5 - BBC One". YouTube. 10 April 2010. Retrieved 13 September 2010.
- "Jessica's Performance - Over the Rainbow - Episode 7 - BBC One". YouTube. 17 April 2010. Retrieved 13 September 2010.
- "Jessica's Performance - Over the Rainbow - Episode 9 - BBC One". YouTube. 24 April 2010. Retrieved 13 September 2010.
- "Jessica: Cabaret - Over The Rainbow - Episode 11 - BBC One". YouTube. 1 May 2010. Retrieved 13 September 2010.
- "Jessica's Performance - Over the Rainbow - Episode 13 - BBC One". YouTube. 8 May 2010. Retrieved 13 September 2010.
- "Dot flop goes to Topshop". London: The Sun. 10 May 2010. Retrieved 10 August 2010.
- "Jessica Spends Three Nights in Joe's for Steph". WhatsOnStage.com. 10 August 2010. Retrieved 11 August 2010.
- "Red carpet for Jessica Robinson at The Mall". GazetteLive.co.uk. Retrieved 10 August 2010.