|Beauty pageant titleholder|
|Born||Jessica Nicole Trisko
1984 (age 32–33)
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
|Title(s)||Miss Earth 2007 (winner)
Miss Earth Canada 2007 (winner)
Miss Universe Canada 2007 (top 10 semi-finalist)
|Miss Earth Canada 2007 (winner)
Miss Universe Canada 2007 (top 10 semi-finalist)
Jessica Nicole Darden née Trisko (born 1984) is a Canadian academic, activist, model and beauty queen.
After winning the Miss Earth Canada pageant, Trisko represented Canada at Miss Earth 2007 and became the first Canadian to win the Miss Earth 2007 title. She had previously placed in the top ten at Miss Universe Canada 2007.
She studies the impact of foreign aid on repression and civil war. She has written and published journals on social science, humanities, and international security which were used in various international conferences.
Raised in Vancouver, Trisko moved to Montreal, Quebec to attend McGill University where she excelled as a student-athlete and obtained a Joint Honours Bachelor of Arts degree in 2004. She later lived in the United States and Russia while completing a Master of Arts degree from the University of Texas at Austin. Trisko then returned to Montreal to begin a Ph.D. in Political Science at McGill in 2006.
Trisko obtained a Ph.D. in Political Science from McGill University in 2012 was an Assistant Professor of Political Science at the University of Western Ontario. Her research has been funded by the Social Science and Humanities Research Council of Canada (SSHRC) and the McGill-Universite de Montreal Centre for International Peace and Security Studies.
Trisko has published in edited volumes and the journals Central Asian Survey and the McGill Foreign Affairs Review. She has presented at numerous academic conferences including the International Studies Association 2009 and 2008 conferences, the ISSS/ISAC 2009 conference, the Association for the Study of Nationalities 2007 conference, various McGill-Universite de Montreal Research Group in International Security conferences, and the CDAI-CDFAI 2006 conference.
Trisko has been participating in charitable fashion shows since the age of 15. In 2001, she teamed up with Ford Models and L'Oréal to participate in the behind-the-scenes reality television series Supermodels, which featured eight half-hour episodes. In 2008, Trisko guest starred on the Filipino television shows "The Singing Bee" and "Sports Unlimited".
Trisko has hosted numerous environmental events in Asia and North America. She now serves as a mentor to young women interested in pursuing careers in the fashion industry through the organization "Teens Reacting Effectively aNd Discovering Style (TRENDS)" - a national fashion and image project by teens, for teens.
In March 2013, Jessica hosted the inaugural Jack Layton Winter Ball, a fundraiser for cancer research that benefited the Goodman Cancer Research Centre in Montreal. Members of the late Mr. Layton's family were in attendance, including Mike Layton and Olivia Chow, as well as the current Leader of the Opposition Mr. Thomas Mulcair.
Trisko, together with the executives of Carousel Productions and the national organizers of Miss Earth Indonesia, attended the Cool Energy Exhibition on December 10, 2007 with the theme: "Care for the Change". More than 20 companies, non-government organizations and other groups participated in this exposition held in the Peninsula Island inside the Nusa Dua resort showcasing displays about wildlife conservation, energy, and forest preservation.
On December 13, 2007, Trisko, along with non-governmental organization, Conservation International and the Indonesian government, led the release of hundreds of sea turtles at Nusa Dua beach, Bali, Indonesia.
Trisko also took part in the 2007 United Nations Climate Change Conference in Bali, alongside Miss Earth 2004 Priscilla Meirelles and Miss Earth Water 2006 Catherine Untalan from December 5–15, 2007.
Trisko had a chance to visit many countries during her reign, including China, Puerto Rico, and Singapore. She also went on multiple trips to Indonesia, the United States, Vietnam, Philippines, and Canada, where she met world environmental leaders, and promoted environmental awareness.
- Adina, Armin (2007-11-04). "More stunners in Miss Earth '07". Philippine Daily Inquirer.
- The Canadian Press (2007-11-13). "Canada's Brainy Beauty". Kitchener-Waterloo Record. p. C2.
- Trisko, Jessica. "Dissertation". McGill University.
- "Jessica Nicole Trisko" (PDF). Political Science. McGill Tribune. Retrieved 8 February 2012.[permanent dead link]
- Thanh Ha, Tu (2007-11-12). "A Beauty Contest with a Conscience". The Globe and Mail. p. A2.
- Fernando, Emmanuel Q. (2007-12-22). "Earth beauty in slippers and rubber shoes". The Manila Times, The Manila Times Publishing Corporation. Archived from the original on November 20, 2008. Retrieved 2009-01-12.
- . University of Western Ontario https://web.archive.org/web/20130113052907/http://politicalscience.uwo.ca/faculty/trisko/index.html. Archived from the original on 2013-01-13. Retrieved 2013-03-01. Missing or empty
- . McGill Tribune http://www.mcgill.ca/politicalscience/grad/news/. Retrieved 2010-05-23. Missing or empty
- "Central Asian Survey". Routledge, Taylor & Francis Group. Retrieved 2010-05-21.
- "ISSS/ISAC 2009 Conference Program" (PDF). Naval Postgraduate School. Retrieved 2010-05-21.
- (PDF). CDA-CDAI http://www.cda-cdai.ca/cdai/uploads/cdai/2009/04/trisko06.pdf. Retrieved 2010-05-21. Missing or empty
- "Trends Fashion - Fashion for Change". Archived from the original on 2010-08-14. Retrieved 2010-05-21.
- "McGill Alumni News". Retrieved 2013-03-01.
- Schuck, Lorraine (2007-12-10). "Miss Earth Takes Part in the UN Convention on Climate Change". Miss Earth Foundation.
- Sabarini, Prodita (2007-12-04). "Sea turtle hatchlings set free". The Jakarta Post. Archived from the original on April 30, 2008. Retrieved 2008-12-31.
- "Miss Earth in the "City of the Gods"". The Manila Times Internet Edition. 2007-12-08. Archived from the original on February 16, 2008. Retrieved 2008-12-31.
|last1=in Authors list (help)
- "Miss Earth 2007 promises to go back to RP after reign". ABS-CBN News. 2007-11-05. Retrieved 2008-12-31.
|Miss Earth Canada