||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (October 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Born||Jessica Lingmin Yu
February 14, 1966
New York City
|Occupation||Director, writer, producer|
Jessica Lingmin Yu (born 1966 in New York City) is an American film director, writer, producer, and editor. She has directed documentary films, dramatic films, and television shows. Yu won an Academy Award for Best Documentary Short Subject for Breathing Lessons: The Life and Work of Mark O'Brien (imdb) (1997). Yu's latest film Last Call at the Oasis (2012), based upon Alex Prud'homme's Ripple Effect.
Yu grew up in Los Altos Hills, California and graduated from Gunn High School in Palo Alto. There, she wrote for the school newspaper, The Oracle. She then went to Yale University, majored in English and was an NCAA All-American in fencing. As a world-class foilist, she was a member of the Junior World Team, United States national team to World Championships and World University Games. Jessica graduated from Yale University summa cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa in English, 1987.
She, her husband, acclaimed author, Mark Salzman, and their daughters Ava and Esme live in Los Angeles. Her father, Dr. Kou-ping Yu, an oncologist, was born in Shanghai. Her mother, Connie Young Yu, writer and historian, is a third-generation Californian. Jessica is the middle sister of Jennifer Yu, a technical publications manager, and younger brother Martin Yu, an actor.
Directorial partial credits
- Misconception (2014)
- Last Call at the Oasis (2011)
- Ping Pong Playa (2008)
- Protagonist (2007)
- Scandal (TV series)
- Grey's Anatomy (TV series)
- The West Wing (TV series)
- In the Realms of the Unreal (2004)
- American Dreams (TV series)
- The Guardian (TV series)
- ER (TV series)
- The Living Museum (1998)
- Breathing Lessons: The Life and Work of Mark O'Brien (1996)
- The Conductor (1994)
- Sour Death Balls (1993)
- Fry, Nathan, "2002 Alumni Spotlight: Jessica Yu", Ivy League Sports, Council of Ivy Group presidents
- "Jessica Yu". IMDb. Retrieved 2016-05-03.
- Jessica Yu at the Internet Movie Database
- Ping Pong Playa official film website
- Protagonist official film website
- In The Realms Of The Unreal official film website by Diorama Films, LLC
- Breathing Lessons official film website on Pacific News Service
- Sour Death Balls video at Lumen Eclipse
|This article about a United States film director born in the 1960s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|