Jessica Kathryn Burton|
17 August 1982
|Residence||Forest Hill, London|
|Alma mater||Central School of Speech and Drama, University of Oxford|
Jessica Kathryn Burton (born 17 August 1982) is an English author and actress. As of 2018[update], she has published three novels, The Miniaturist, The Muse and The Restless Girls. The Muse has been published in 36 languages. Both were Sunday Times no.1 bestsellers, New York Times bestsellers, and Radio 4's Books At Bedtime. Her short stories have been published in Harpers Bazaar US and Stylist. 
Early life and career
Burton's work in theatre includes The Hour We Knew Nothing of Each Other at the National Theatre, London in 2008. As well as working as an author and actress, Burton has worked as a personal assistant in the City of London.
Burton's 2014 debut novel The Miniaturist is set in 17th-century Amsterdam. The novel is inspired by Petronella Oortman's dollhouse now at the Rijksmuseum, although it does not otherwise attempt to be a biographical novel. The Miniaturist took over four years to write. It was the subject of a bidding war at the April 2013 London Book Fair.
Burton's second novel, The Muse, was published in 2016 and is set in a dual time-frame, during the Spanish Civil War and 30 years later in 1960s London. It was nominated for the 2016 Books Are My Bag Readers' Awards.
As of February 2018, she is working on her second novel for children and her third novel for adults.
Awards and honors
- 2014 Waterstones "Book of the Year" winner for The Miniaturist
- 2014 Specsavers National Book Awards: New Writer of the Year for The Miniaturist
- 2014 Specsavers National Book Awards: Book of the Year for The Miniaturist
- Inside back cover of 2015 Picador UK paperback edition of The Miniaturist
- "Jessie Burton". Jessie Burton. Retrieved 2018-02-09.
- Kellaway, Kate (26 June 2016). "Jessie Burton: 'Success can be as fracturing to your self as failure'". The Observer. Retrieved 26 December 2017.
- Blackman, Jaines (28 March 2015). "Best-seller has been a life-changer for Jessie Burton". Oxford Mail. Retrieved 26 December 2017.
- National Theatre : Productions : The Hour We Knew Nothing of Each Other Archived May 17, 2008, at the Wayback Machine.
- Spiegelman, Ian (29 August 2014). "Jessie Burton on the dollhouse that inspired her novel". USA Today. Retrieved 29 January 2015.
- "Jessie Burton: I never thought of The Miniaturist as ambitious". BBC News. 2 December 2014. Retrieved 23 December 2014.
- Quinn, Anthony (25 June 2016). "The Muse by Jessie Burton". The Guardian. London. Retrieved 29 June 2016.
- "Inaugural Books are My Bag Award Winners Announced". Foyles. Retrieved 6 November 2017.
- "The Restless Girls". Bloomsbury Publishing. Retrieved 2018-10-05.
- "THE RESTLESS GIRLS". Jessie Burton. Retrieved 2018-02-09.
- Tim Masters (1 December 2014). "Miniaturist novel named Waterstones book of 2014". BBC News. Retrieved 23 December 2014.
- "Jessie Burton's The Miniaturist voted Specsavers Book of the Year". BBC News. 22 December 2014. Retrieved 23 December 2014.