Jessie K. Liu
|United States Associate Attorney General|
|United States Attorney for the District of Columbia|
|Assumed office |
September 24, 2017
|Preceded by||Channing D. Phillips|
|Born||January 2, 1973|
Kingsville, Texas, U.S.
|Education||Harvard University (BA)|
Yale University (JD)
|*Pending Senate confirmation|
Jessie Kong Liu (born January 2, 1973) is an American attorney who is the United States Attorney for the District of Columbia. She previously worked as deputy general counsel at the U.S. Treasury and served at the Justice Department. On March 5, 2019, media outlets reported that the Trump Administration would nominate her for the position of Associate Attorney General of the United States.
Education and legal career
Liu was born in Kingsville, Texas. She received her Bachelor of Arts, summa cum laude, from Harvard University in 1995, with a major in literature, and completed her J.D. degree at Yale Law School in 1998. She clerked for Carolyn Dineen King of the United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit in 1998–99.
She served as an Assistant United States Attorney in the District of Columbia from 2002 to 2006. Liu worked at the United States Department of Justice during the administration of President George W. Bush from 2006 to 2009. Her roles included deputy chief of staff in the National Security Division, counsel to the Deputy Attorney General, and Deputy Assistant Attorney General in the Civil Rights Division.
Liu worked for the transition team of President-elect Donald Trump, and in 2017 became deputy general counsel at the United States Department of the Treasury. In June 2017, President Trump nominated Liu to become the next United States Attorney for the District of Columbia, which is the country's largest U.S. Attorney's office, with more than 300 prosecutors. Liu was confirmed by the Senate by voice vote in September 2017.
Awards and honors
Liu has received numerous awards. She was named a White Collar Trailblazer by the National Law Journal in 2015, was named among the Best Lawyers Under 40 by the National Asian Pacific American Bar Association in 2011, received a Rising Star Award from the Asian Pacific American Bar Association of Washington D.C. in 2011, and received a Service Award from the National Association of Women Lawyers in 2005.
She is married to Michael Abramowicz, a lawyer who also attended Yale Law School.
- Alexander, Keith (September 15, 2017). "Jessie K. Liu confirmed as the District's new top prosecutor". Washington Post. Retrieved September 15, 2017.
- "President Donald J. Trump Announces United States Attorney Candidate Nominations". The White House. June 12, 2017. Retrieved 21 June 2017.
- "United States Senate Committee on the Judiciary: Questionnaire for Non-Judicial Nominees" (PDF). United States Senate. August 2017. Retrieved September 15, 2017.
- Tillman, Zoe (May 11, 2017). "Trump Will Nominate A Member Of His DOJ Transition Team To Be DC's US Attorney". BuzzFeed. Retrieved 6 July 2017.
- Moyer, Justin (June 12, 2017). "Jessie K. Liu nominated to be U.S. attorney for the District of Columbia". Washington Post. Retrieved 6 July 2017.
- "PN613 — Jessie K. Liu — Department of Justice". congress.gov. United States Congress. September 14, 2017. Retrieved September 15, 2017.
- "WEDDINGS; M. B. Abramowicz And Jessie Liu". New York Times. New York. August 15, 1999. Retrieved August 15, 2018.