Reyez in 2019
|Born||June 12, 1991|
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Jessie Reyez (born June 12, 1991) is a Canadian singer and songwriter. Her 2016 single "Figures" peaked at number 58 on the Canadian Hot 100 in 2017 and was certified double Platinum by Music Canada and Gold by the RIAA. Her 2017 EP, Kiddo, led to four nominations at the 2018 Juno Awards, winning Breakthrough Artist. Her follow up EP, Being Human in Public, was released in 2018 and won R&B/Soul Recording of The Year at the 2019 Juno Awards. Reyez has also co-written songs for Calvin Harris and Normani, most notably penning the hit "One Kiss", the biggest selling song of 2018 in the United Kingdom.
Jessie Reyez was born in Toronto, Ontario to Colombian parents. Her family later moved to Brampton, Ontario, Canada. She was introduced to the guitar by her father, leading to a career in art and music. She played guitar as a child and began writing her own music in high school. Her roots brought her back to Toronto during her sophomore year. After graduating, she opted out of college and instead chose to pursue her music while doing odd jobs on the side. In 2012, Reyez and her family moved to Florida, where she was primarily bartending and busking on the beach. but returned to Toronto in 2014 after being accepted to The Remix Project's Academy of Recording Arts. At the Remix Project, Reyez was mentored by Daniel Daley, from Dvsn, and her music was heard by King Louie.
In 2014, she and King Louie released a joint single titled "Living in the Sky", followed by a second single "It Hurts (Selena)", in 2015. In early 2017, she released the single "Shutter Island" and toured Europe opening for PartyNextDoor. Her follow-up single, "Figures", was premiered by Zane Lowe on Beats 1 radio, alongside it's music video. "Figures" peaked at number 58 on the Canadian Hot 100 in 2017 and was certified double platinum by Music Canada.
In April 2017, Reyez released her debut EP, Kiddo as well as her short film Gatekeeper, which addressed sexism and exploitation in the music industry. It specifically was based on her experience with music producer Noel "Detail" Fisher, who was accused of sexual misconduct by multiple women, including artist Bebe Rexha. Kiddo peaked at #83 on the Canadian Album Chart.
Kiddo was placed on the Long List of the 2017 Polaris Music Prize and lead to four nominations at the 2018 Juno Awards (R&B/Soul Recording of the Year, Breakthrough Artist, Video of the Year, and Juno Fan Choice Award), where she won Breakthrough Artist. She also received two 2017 iHeartRadio Much Music Video Awards nominations for Best New Canadian Artist and Fan Fave Video for "Shutter Island". She was also nominated for two 2018 MTV Music Video Awards, including Push Artist of the Year and Video With A Message (for "Gatekeeper"). Reyez performed "Figures" at the 2017 BET Awards on June 25, 2017 and on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon on August 8, 2017.
Billboard named Reyez one of the "10 Hip-Hop and R&B Artists to Watch in 2018". She also received a SOCAN Songwriting Prize nomination for the song "Cotton Candy". Reyez released her second EP, Being Human in Public, and toured across North America. The EP won 2019’s R&B/Soul Recording of The Year at the 2019 Juno Awards. In August, Reyez collaborated with Eminem on "Nice Guy" and "Good Guy", from the album Kamikaze, both charting on the Billboard Hot 100 and appeared on the soundtrack to Fifty Shades Freed. On April 9, 2019, Reyez released the single “Imported'” featuring 6lack, a re-working of a song off her last EP. She also had a cameo in the Netflix film, Someone Great.
Awards and nominations
|2017||iHeartRadio Much Music Video Awards||Best New Canadian Artist||Herself||Nominated|
|Fan Fave Video||"Shutter Island"||Nominated|
|2017||Polaris Music Prize||Long List||Kiddo||Nominated|
|2018||Juno Awards||Breakthrough Artist||Herself||Won|
|RnB/Soul Recording of the Year||Kiddo||Nominated|
|Video of The Year||"Gatekeeper"||Nominated|
|Juno Fan Choice Award||Herself||Nominated|
|MTV Video Music Awards||Push Artist of the Year||Herself||Nominated|
|Video with a Message||"Gatekeeper"||Nominated|
|MTV Europe Music Award||Best New Act||Herself||Nominated|
|2019||Juno Awards||RnB/Soul Recording of the Year||Being Human In Public||Won|
|2019||SOCAN Awards||Breakout Songwriter Award||Herself||Nominated|
(featuring Kehlani and Lil Yachty)
|2017||Calvin Harris||Funk Wav Bounces Vol. 1||Co-writer||Adam Wiles, Miles McCollum|
|"Fuck It"||2018||Tony Cobain||Non-album single||Tony Cobain|
(with Dua Lipa)
|Calvin Harris||TBA||Adam Wiles, Dua Lipa|
(with Sam Smith)
|Adam Wiles, Samuel Smith|
(with Calvin Harris)
|Normani||Normani x Calvin Harris||Normani Hamilton, Adam Wiles|
- "Kiddo by Jessie Reyez on Apple Music". iTunes. Retrieved May 4, 2017.
- Yoo, Noah; Pearce, Sheldon. "Calvin Harris Announces Star-Studded New Album: Frank Ocean, Nicki, Travis Scott, Katy Perry, Many More | Pitchfork". pitchfork.com. Retrieved 17 May 2017.
- Black, Adrienne. "PREMIERE: Tim Suby and Jessie Reyez Create Anthem About Ignoring Emotions On Bubbly "k goodnight"". PigeonsandPlanes. Retrieved 17 May 2017.
- Deming, Mark. "Jessie Reyez". AllMusic. Retrieved May 2, 2019.
- "Jessie Reyez – Chart history (Canadian Hot 100)". www.billboard.com. Retrieved August 29, 2017.
- "How Jessie Reyez Became the 2018 Juno Awards' Most Nominated Artist". exclaim.ca. Retrieved 2019-06-17.
- Patsuk, Slava. "Toronto's Jessie Reyez Connects with King Louie on Unlikely Terms". Noisey. Retrieved May 3, 2017.
- Twardzik, Tom (January 24, 2017). "Listen to the Newest Single By Upcoming R&B Hitmaker Jessie Reyez". Popdust. Retrieved May 3, 2017.
- Patrick, Ryan B. "Jessie Reyez Kiddo". Exclaim. Retrieved 3 May 2017.
- Leight, Elias (10 May 2018). "Jessie Reyez Accuses Beyonce Producer Detail of Sexual Misconduct". Rolling Stone. Retrieved 9 August 2018.
- Entertainment, P. M. N. (2018-02-07). "Who is Jessie Reyez? A look at Toronto's soulful voice leading the Juno nominees | National Post". Retrieved 2019-06-17.
- "Fan Fave Video Nominee Jessie Reyez Drops Personal Short Film 'Gatekeeper'". MMVAs. Retrieved May 18, 2017.
- "Watch the iHeartRadio MMVAs Sunday June 18 @ 9E/6P". MMVAs. Retrieved May 24, 2017.
- "Beyoncé Reigns Supreme At 2017 BET Awards - Canyon News". Canyon News. June 26, 2017. Retrieved June 26, 2017.
- Cantor, Brian (8 August 2017). "Jessie Reyez Delivers Excellent Performance On Jimmy Fallon's "Tonight Show"". Headline Planet. Retrieved 21 August 2017.
- "10 Hip-Hop and R&B Artists to Watch in 2018". Billboard. Retrieved 2019-06-17.
- "2018 SOCAN Songwriting Prize Nominees Revealed". Exclaim!. May 24, 2018.
- Leight, Elias (August 31, 2018). "Eminem Producer Explains Why 'Kamikaze' Is a Throwback to Slim Shady". Rolling Stone. New York City: Wenner Media LLC. Retrieved September 19, 2018.