Jester King Brewery
Jester King was founded in 2010 by Jeff Stuffings and Michael Steffing. Joshua Cockrell was hired to create beer labels, which have won awards at the World Beer Championships packaging competition.
In 2011 Jester King won a lawsuit against the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission, which had prohibited beverages with an alcohol content greater than 4% from being labeled as "beer". In honor of their legal campaign against regulation, the Brewers Association in 2014 presented Jester King with their F.X. Matt Defense of the Small Brewing Industry Award. In December 2011, Jester King recalled a batch of its Commercial Suicide beer due to excessive gushing caused by over carbonation.
In January 2016, Jester King purchased 58 acres of land surrounding their facility. At the time, Stuffings said the company was planning to enlarge the brewery and add a winery, a distillery and a farm-to-table restaurant to the complex.
In December 2019, Jester King was named the number 1 brewery in Texas in the inaugural Texas Craft Beer Report published by the analytics organization Hopalytics.
- Toon, Anna (May 2, 2014). "All Hail the Jester". The Austin Chronicle. Retrieved November 14, 2014.
- Kavehkar, Kimya (December 1, 2013). "Art of the Brew — Austin Monthly — December 2013 - Austin, TX". Austin Monthly. Retrieved November 14, 2014.
- Beach, Patrick (November 20, 2011). "Judge eliminates forced distinction between beer, ale". The Statesman. Retrieved November 14, 2014.
"Business Digest: Drugmaker to pay $84 million to settle Texas Medicaid fraud case; Austin craft brewery recalling over-carbonated beer prone to gushing". The Statesman. December 28, 2011. Archived from the original on November 29, 2014. Retrieved January 4, 2019.
Austin-based Jester King Craft Brewery is recalling its Commercial Suicide beer. Bottles of the brew are "continuing to ferment beyond the projected finishing point" and have become over-carbonated, the brewer says. They may leak and could "gush extensively" when opened.
- Auber, Arianna (January 6, 2015). "Jester King Brewery plans expansion into farming, winemaking". austin360. Retrieved January 12, 2017.
- "Jester King Leads The Way in first Texas Craft Brewery Rankings". December 17, 2019. Retrieved January 28, 2020.