Jestico + Whiles
|Jestico + Whiles|
|Key architects||Tom Jestico + John Whiles (founding directors)|
Central School of Speech and Drama
|Awards||2009, 2011 RIBA Awards|
Jestico + Whiles was founded by Tom Jestico and John Whiles in 1977. The practice is a trust, jointly owned by its staff. It is known particularly for its work on London boutique hotels such as The Hempel and One Aldwych. However, the firm has a diverse workload, and is also experienced in many other sectors including universities, schools and social housing.
The head office of Jestico + Whiles is at Cobourg Street in Camden, London NW1. It also has an office in Prague, Czech Republic. It has completed major projects across Europe, the Middle East and India. Its expertise includes urban regeneration, conservation of historic buildings and low-energy building techniques.
Major projects, by year of completion and ordered by type, are:
- Cultural and diplomatic
- 1993: The British Council, Madrid
- 2002: Diana, Princess of Wales Memorial Playground, London
- British Embassy, Latvia
- The British Council, Prague
- Embassy of the People's Republic of China, London
- 2009: Pitzhanger Manor, London
- 2008: Mountbatten Building, ECS, University of Southampton, UK
- Central School of Speech and Drama, London
- Haberdashers' Aske's Knights Academy, London
- Davidson Building, Haberdashers' Aske's Hatcham College, London
- Stoke Newington School, London
- New Line Learning Kent, London
- National Graphene Institute, University of Manchester, Manchester
- Hotels and restaurants
- The Hempel, London, UK
- 1999: One Aldwych, London
- 2001: Hakkasan, London
- 2007: Malmaison, Oxford Castle, UK – RICS Project of the Year
- 2009: Adriana Marina Hotel and Spa, Hvar, Croatia
- 2009: Andel's Hotel Prague, Czech Republic
- 2009: Andel's Hotel Berlin, Germany
- Andel's Hotel Kraków, Poland
- 2009: Andel's Hotel Łódź, Poland
- 2011: W Hotel, Leicester Square, London
- 2011: Aloft Hotel, ExCeL London
- 2006: Housing Design Award for Abbotts Wharf
- 2009: RIBA Award for the Mountbatten Building, ECS, University of Southampton
- 2010: Contract Magazine, New York, Interior Design Award for Andel's Hotel Lodz
- 2011: highest-placed architects in the Sunday Times Green List
- 2011: RIBA Award for Stoke Newington School and Sixth Form
- Dominic Lutyens (12 October 2002). "Tipping the Velvet Revolution". Guardian. Retrieved 26 November 2012.
- Jestico + Whiles Architects, England: Information, e-architect.co.uk
- Robert Booth (10 October 2010). "Prince Charles drafted in to help rebuild quake damaged Port-au-Prince". Guardian. Retrieved 26 November 2012.
experienced in building social housing in the UK
- About Jestico + Whiles
- Bury, Liz (18 July 2008). "Jestico & Whiles’ nanotechnology centre shows that small can be beautiful". Building magazine. Retrieved 26 November 2012.
- RICS Awards 2007 Winners list at the Wayback Machine (archived October 23, 2007), RICS
- Andel's Hotel Berlin at the Wayback Machine (archived December 1, 2010)
- "Andel's Hotel Lodz". Archived from the original on 2011-07-07. Retrieved 26 November 2012.
The original, multi-award-winning design is the creative work of British interior architects Jestico + Whiles... have already made quite an impact with their innovative projects in a number of different cities.
- "Shimmering, softly hued Jestico + Whiles-designed Aloft London Excel opens". World Architecture News. Archived from the original on 2012-11-26. Retrieved 2012-11-26.
- "Abbotts Wharf". Case Studies. CABE. Archived from the original on 2011-01-18. Retrieved 18 December 2012.
- Saba Salman (20 September 2006). "Tanner Street: a vision of the future in east London". Guardian. Retrieved 26 November 2012.
- "Old Spitalfields Market: Architecture Information". World Architecture. e-architect. Retrieved 26 November 2012.
- "Abbotts Wharf, London E14". 2006 Winners. Housing Design Awards. Retrieved 18 December 2012.
- "South winners 2009". RIBA Awards. RIBA. Retrieved 26 November 2012.
- "London winners 2011". RIBA Awards. RIBA. Retrieved 26 November 2012.