Jesuit High School (Beaverton, Oregon)
|Jesuit High School|
9000 SW Beaverton-Hillsdale Highway
|Motto||Age Quod Agis (Latin)|
Do Well Whatever You Do
|Religious affiliation(s)||Roman Catholic|
|President||Thomas D. Arndorfer|
|Teaching staff||90.3 (FTE)|
|Student to teacher ratio||14.2|
|Color(s)||Green and Gold|
|Athletics conference||OSAA Metro League 6A-2|
|Newspaper||The Jesuit Chronicle|
Jesuit High School is a private, Catholic, college-preparatory school run by the USA West Province of the Society of Jesus in Beaverton outside Portland, Oregon, United States, in the Archdiocese of Portland. It was founded by the Jesuits in 1956 and uses a Jesuit, college-preparatory curriculum. It is coeducational and enrolls approximately 1,300 students of all faiths.
This section needs additional citations for verification. (October 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The school was the 43rd Jesuit high school to be established in the United States. Though it was not finally established until 1956, the process of founding a Jesuit high school in Portland began in 1907, when property was purchased by the parish of St. Ignatius and set aside for a future high school. A lay appeal to the Jesuit Provincial for a high school in 1929 came to nothing. In 1954 the Holy Cross Fathers of Portland announced the closing of Columbia Prep and a plan for the Jesuits to take over the premises was discussed, but again dropped. Finally in 1955 the Jesuit Provincial Superior was asked by the Archbishop to set up a school. Hillsdale Dairy Farm, a 55-acre (220,000 m2) plot to the west, some 15 minutes drive from downtown Portland, was purchased for $165,000. Jesuit and Holy Cross priests raised pledges of $117,000 by Wednesday of the first week of a fund-raising campaign in churches, and hundreds of thousands more by door-to-door canvassing. Jesuit High School opened for freshmen boys on September 10, 1956 and girls have been admitted since 1993.
The demographic breakdown of the 1,280 students enrolled in 2013-14 was:
- Native American/Alaskan - 0.2%
- Black - 3.4%
- Hispanic - 4.6%
- Multiracial - 7.2%
- Asian/Pacific islanders - 10.2%
- White - 74.4%
In the 2005-2006 academic year, Jesuit won seven state championships in various sports and activities. Jesuit High School has won the Oregon 4A All Sports Award 13 years in a row, and has received the Oregonian Cup five times.
- Mick Abel - 15th draft pick for the Philadelphia Phillies
- Timothy Boyle (born 1949) - CEO Columbia Sportswear
- H. W. Brands - author, professor
- Richard Brenneke - businessman
- Pete Brock - former National Football League football player
- Stan Brock - former NFL football player and coach
- Xavier Coleman - NFL cornerback, New York Jets 
- Mike Dunleavy Jr. - former NBA basketball player, current scout for the Golden State Warriors
- Mike Hass - former football wide receiver
- Travis Knight - animator
- Owen Marecic - former NFL football fullback
- Morgan Murphy - comedian
- Stephen Holt - pro basketball player, currently a free agent
- Brian Michaelson - former basketball player for Gonzaga Bulldogs men's basketball, and current assistant coach for the Gonzaga Bulldogs men's basketball
- Blake Nelson - author
- David Norrie - college football announcer for ABC
- Slade Norris - former NFL linebacker
- Preston Parsons - former NFL football quarterback
- Mike Remmers - NFL football offensive tackle, Kansas City Chiefs 
- Erik Spoelstra - Championship winning NBA head coach of Miami Heat
- Seth Tarver - basketball player, currently a free agent
- Kyle Wiltjer - pro basketball player 
- "OSAA - Jesuit". osaa.org. Retrieved 13 December 2015.
- "Oregon School Directory 2008-09" (PDF). Oregon Department of Education. p. 139. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2011-05-26. Retrieved 2009-05-28.
- "Search for Private Schools - School Detail for Jesuit High School". ed.gov. Retrieved 13 December 2015.
- "Jesuit High School : A Catholic College Preparatory High School in the Jesuit Tradition: Member Login". www.jesuitportland.org. Retrieved 2016-03-12.
- "AdvancED - Institution Summary". advanc-ed.org. Retrieved 13 December 2015.
- Archived: Blue Ribbon Schools Program, Schools Recognized 1982-1983 Through 1999-2002 (PDF) Archived 2009-03-26 at the Wayback Machine
- "SI.com - Nation's Top 10 athletic programs - Jun 19, 2007". CNN. June 19, 2007. Retrieved May 6, 2010.
- "Link Lookup" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2011-07-26. Retrieved 2009-09-13.
- "Columbia:Officers and Directors". Columbia. Retrieved 4 December 2017.
- "Richard J. "Luck" Brenneke's Obituary on The Oregonian". The Oregonian. July 28, 2015. Retrieved September 1, 2020.
- "Former Portland State defensive back Xavier Coleman signs with New York Jets as undrafted free agent: Report". oregonlive.com. 1 May 2017. Retrieved 26 August 2017.
- "Linebacker Slade Norris, out of OSU, signed with the Seattle Seahawks Tuesday". The Oregonian. 28 September 2010. Retrieved 16 May 2011.
- "Panthers sign offensive tackle Mike Remmers". Cat Scratch Reader. 28 October 2014. Retrieved 22 August 2016.
- "2012–13 Miami Heat season", Wikipedia, 2020-08-27, retrieved 2020-09-08
- "2011–12 Miami Heat season", Wikipedia, 2020-05-09, retrieved 2020-09-08
- "After going undrafted, Kyle Wiltjer agrees to deal with Rockets". Kentucky.com. 24 June 2016. Retrieved 22 August 2016.
- Schoenberg, S.J., Wilfred P. Jesuits in Oregon, 1844-1959. The Oregon-Jesuit, 1959 (Centennial Year).