|27th Secretary of the Department of Finance|
January 1, 1990 – June 30, 1992
|Preceded by||Vicente Jayme|
|Succeeded by||Ramon del Rosario|
|6th Director-General of the National Economic and Development Authority
Concurrently Secretary of Socio-Economic Planning
|Preceded by||Winnie Monsod|
|Succeeded by||Cayetano Paderanga, Jr.|
|Alma mater||Northwestern University|
Jesus P. Estanislao was the 6th Socio-economic Planning Secretary and concurrent Director-General of the National Economic and Development Authority (NEDA) from 1989-1990 and Secretary of Finance of the Philippines from 1990-1992, during the government of President Corazon Aquino. He presently heads two private institutes committed to governance reforms:
- Institute of Corporate Directors (for corporate governance)
- Institute for Solidarity in Asia (for national governance). He also chairs the President's Governance Advisory Council, which advises the Philippine President on governance issues.
Studies and Academic work
Dr. Estanislao holds a Ph.D. from Harvard University, where he was also a Teaching Fellow and Research Fellow. He obtained his MA in Economics from Fordham University in Economics and Ph.B. (summa cum laude) from the University of San Carlos.
He has been conferred honorary doctoral degrees from Angeles University, Xavier University, St. Paul University, and Manila Central University. He holds the title of University Professor at the University of Asia and the Pacific.
His published works include:
- Breaking Through: The road from resolution to results
- A new ASEAN in a new millennium (With: Simon Tay and Hadi Soesastro)
- Reinventing ASEAN (With: Simon Tay and Hadi Soesastro)
- Responsible Citizenship: Essays on Civic Spirit on the Common Good
- Equipped for Battle: A Primer on Active Citizen Involvement in Governance
- Guideposts for Governance: Indispensable Values for Individuals, Corporations, Institutions, and Government Units
- Philippines 2030 Journey to Nationhood: Towards a National Community of Responsible Citizens
- Responsible Citizenship III: Empowering Individuals and Strengthening Communities
- Towards a National Culture of Excellence
- Responsible Citizenship IV: Rebuilding the Nation through Values
- Foundation for People Development
- Responsible Citizenship III
- Responsible Citizenship II
- Responsible Citizenship
- Starting Over ( Reforming Corporate Governance in the Phils.)
- Corporate Governance for Bank Directors
- Institute of Corporate Directors– Practical Guidelines for Board Governance Committees
- Institute of Corporate Directors – Practical Guidelines for Audit Committees
- Institute of Corporate Directors – Practical Guidelines for Risk Oversight Committees
- Institute of Corporate Directors – Practical Guidelines for Financial Numeracy for Corporate Directors
Dr. Estanislao has spent much of his career founding or rehabilitating institutions. More recently, he has focused on improving governance in the Philippines for both public and private institutions as a way of reducing corruption there.
He also served as the founding president (1992-1997) of the University of Asia and the Pacific, which grew out of the Center for Research and Communication, of which he was the founding Executive Director (1969-1981).
After the 1986 People Power revolution in the Philippines, he became the Chairman of the Development Bank of the Philippines, which he rehabilitated. Then he was appointed to the Cabinet of President Corazon Aquino, whom he served as Secretary of Economic Planning and Director General of the National and Economic Development Authority (1989), and later as Secretary of Finance (1990-1992). As the country's chief economic officer, he oversaw the economic recovery and reform program of a newly reinstalled democracy.
After he left government, Dr. Estanislao was asked to become the Philippine representative in APEC's Eminent Persons Group by President Fidel Ramos, whom he served as Adviser during the Philippine chairmanship of APEC in 1996. He also served as the Philippine representative in ASEAN's Eminent Persons Group on Vision 2020.
In 1992, Dr. Estanislao was awarded the Philippine Legion of Honor.
In 2009, Management Association of the Philippines (MAP) named him "Management Man of the Year."
He is Member of the Papal Foundation “Centesimus Annus Pro Pontifice” (CAPP).
- Institute of Corporate Directors
- Curriculum Vitae of Jesus Estanislao from the Institute of Corporate Directors Philippines
- International Finance Corporation World Bank Group
|Director-General of the National Economic and Development Authority
1989 – 1990
Cayetano Paderanga, Jr.