Jesus Maria, California
|Elevation||1,043 ft (318 m)|
The community, the center of a large placer mining section, was named for a Mexican who raised vegetables and melons for the miners. It was settled in the early 1850s with a large population of Mexicans, French, Chileans, and Italians. Now it is only populated by a few families who live together and work for common goals, including a large community garden, basketball court, jungle gym for children, and a windmill to pump water.
In the state legislature, Jesus Maria is in the 8th Senate District, represented by Republican Andreas Borgeas, and the 5th Assembly District, represented by Republican Frank Bigelow. Federally, Jesus Maria is in California's 4th congressional district, represented by Republican Tom McClintock.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Jesus Maria, California
- "Jesus Maria". Office of Historic Preservation, California State Parks. Retrieved 2012-10-06.
- "Senators". State of California. Retrieved March 21, 2013.
- "Members Assembly". State of California. Retrieved March 21, 2013.
- "California's 4th Congressional District - Representatives & District Map". Civic Impulse, LLC. Retrieved March 1, 2013.