Jesus and Mary College
|Motto||"Thou art light, fill me with thy light"|
|Principal||Sr.(Dr.) Marina John rjm|
|Affiliations||University of Delhi|
Jesus and Mary College (JMC) is a women-only college affiliated with the University of Delhi located in New Delhi, India. The college awards bachelor's degrees in commerce, arts and mathematics. The college offers honors degrees in elementary education, history, sociology, political science, Hindi, English, economics, psychology, math and commerce. The college is located in the Chanakyapuri diplomatic enclave in New Delhi.
The college was founded by Religious of Jesus and Mary, a Roman Catholic congregation founded by St. Claudine Thevenet or known as Mary of St. Ignatius (1774–1837) in Lyon, France in 1818. The Convent of Jesus and Mary, Delhi was established in 1919, and thereafter a college for women in Delhi and the college was founded in July 1968. At the time of opening, the college offered only two degrees: English (Hons.) and BA (Pass), but quickly expanded to offer degrees in other subjects.
The admission to the college is based on a competitive cut-off percentage in senior secondary exams. The college also reserves a certain number of seats for Scheduled Caste and Scheduled Tribe (SC/ST) candidates. As a minority institution, the college also has a 50% reservation for Catholic or other Christian students.
Student involvement in projects as part of curriculum is given below:
- Departments like B.El.Ed. (IIIrd year) and Psychology have 100% student involvement in in-house projects over the past four years.
- The Department of Economics has 13% of its students work as interns in institutions and companies like DMRC, Ernst and Young, German National Tourists Services, HUDCO, Kings College London, Lucid Solutions, the Planning Commission, Reliance Securities, Smilyo, Toxics Link, United Nations Projects. The department has also worked with NGOs like Kalpavriksha and Samavesh.
- The Department of English has 100% student involvement in in-house projects related to academic topics of English.
- National Service Scheme (NSS)
- Neha Dhupia, Bollywood Actress, model and Miss India Universe 2002
- Hasleen Kaur, Bollywood Actress, model and Miss India Earth 2011
- Nistula Hebbar, journalist and political correspondent
- Ankita Shorey, model and Miss India International 2011
- Priyanka Gandhi (Vadra), Daughter of the former Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi
- Namita Gokhale, writer
- Usha Sanyal, historian
- Ambika Anand, TV anchor (NDTV Good Times)
- Sushmita Mukherjee, TV & movie actress
- Rini Simon Khanna, news anchor
- Rakul Preet Singh, Film Actress and Femina Miss India-Miss India People's Choice 2011
- Apurvi Chandela, Indian Shooter
- Sandali Sinha, Film Actress
- Neeti Sachdeva, Ph.D, Developmental Psychologist and Writer (Art of Parenting: The Indian Experience)
- Radhika Madan, Actress, Professional Dancer
- Manika Batra, Indian Table Tennis player
- Tanisha Sharma, Screenwriter
- "Jesus and Mary College". University of Delhi.
- "5,000 more seats on offer at DU". The Hindu. May 12, 2010.
- "History". Official website.
- "Non-affiliated colleges: need less chaos, more work in union". Indian Express. Sep 2, 2009.
- Smilyo 2014, p. 14.
- Self Study Report 2014 (PDF). Jesus and Mary College, University of Delhi. p. 93. Retrieved 11 August 2015.
- "National Service Scheme (NSS) - JMC". Smilyo. Retrieved 11 August 2015.
- "Distinguished alumni".
- "Manthan Award South Asia Grand Jury 2010 Profile: Rini Simon Khanna". Manthan Award. 2010. Archived from the original on 2012-10-17.
- Smilyo (2014). BLAZE The Uprising! (PDF). http://smilyo.com. Smilyo Educational Charitable Society ®. External link in