|Founded||1983 (as Channel Express)|
|Company slogan||Friendly Low Fares|
|Parent company||Dart Group PLC|
|Headquarters||Leeds, West Yorkshire|
Jet2.com Limited, often known simply as Jet2, is a British low-cost airline based at Leeds Bradford Airport, England. Jet2.com is the fourth largest scheduled airline in the UK. Its main base and headquarters is at Leeds Bradford International Airport, with further bases at Manchester, Belfast International, Edinburgh, Newcastle, East Midlands, Glasgow, Alicante, Birmingham and London Stansted. The company holds a United Kingdom Civil Aviation Authority Type A Operating Licence to carry passengers, cargo and mail on aircraft with 20 or more seats.
Jet2.com also offers a charter service through its Jet2charters brand. Sister company Jet2holidays offers ABTA and ATOL protected package holidays with accommodation, transfers and Jet2.com flights to 47 city and sun destinations. Jet2.com had around 4,000 employees as of April 2015.
Jet2.com Limited is a subsidiary of the Dart Group PLC, an aviation services and distribution group. The airline began operating commercial aircraft in 1983 under the name Channel Express, when it was purchased by the Dart Group’s current Executive Chairman, Philip Meeson. Initially a freight operator, from 2001 the airline also began operating passenger charter services using Boeing aircraft to international destinations on mainly short and medium haul routes.
In 2003 Channel Express established the Jet2.com brand from Leeds Bradford International Airport. The re-branded Jet2.com began operating as a leisure airline with its first flight from Leeds Bradford to Amsterdam on 12 February, which operated a twice daily rotation with two Boeing 737-300 aircraft. During 2003, further scheduled flights were launched to seven European sun and city break destinations.
In December 2004, a second base was opened at Manchester Airport with the airline operating from Terminal 1.
In 2005, Jet2.com opened a third base at Newcastle. Later in the year the company acquired two Boeing 757-200 aircraft, enabling it to fly medium-long haul destinations as well as carrying more passengers on popular existing routes. These aircraft helped the company to open two more bases at Blackpool (this base ceased operation in October 2014 due to airport closure) and Edinburgh.
In 2006 the company relocated from Bournemouth to Leeds and was renamed Jet2.com Limited. In 2007, sister company Jet2holidays was launched offering customers and travel agents ATOL and ABTA protected package holidays.
The airline acquired further Boeing 737 and 757 aircraft and opened a base at Belfast International Airport. In November 2008 Jet2.com changed its slogan from "The North's Low Cost Airline" to "Friendly Low Fares". This preceded the announcement of opening a hub at East Midlands Airport, the first of the airline's outside the North of England and Scotland. The base at East Midlands Airport opened in May 2010.
During November and December 2008 the airline operated four direct flights from Leeds Bradford to Newark Liberty International Airport using Boeing 757-200s, with a series of flights also planned from both Leeds Bradford and Newcastle during December 2010. Once again, Jet2.com re-introduced seasonal Christmas flights to New York during the 2012 winter season, however, this time flights would operate from Glasgow, East Midlands and Newcastle, in addition to Leeds. The seasonal flights to New York have continued annually from the four bases, with the addition of October flying dates in 2014.
In January 2011, the airline introduced second-hand Boeing 737-800 aircraft into its fleet. This provided aircraft larger than its existing 737-300s yet smaller than its 757-200 aircraft. The airline announced an eighth base at Glasgow Airport would be opened in April 2011, with an initial nine routes. The base was opened on 31 March, slightly earlier than scheduled.
The airline then announced new routes to Fuerteventura and Verona for summer 2014 and further new destinations were also added for summer 2015 including Antalya, Malta and Kefalonia.
Jet2.com carried over 600,000 passengers in its first year of operation and over six million passengers during 2014, its highest recorded total, though this reduced slightly to 5.85 million in 2015.
On 17 September 2016 the airline received its first brand new Boeing 737-800 of the order for thirty made in 2015. In September 2016, Jet2.com announced it would begin operations from Birmingham Airport and London Stansted Airport (the airline's first base in southern England) in March 2017. In November 2016, Jet2.com opened its new maintenance hangar at Manchester Airport. In December 2016, Jet2.com announced that it had ordered a further four Boeing 737-800 aircraft, bringing the total on order to 34.
Jet2.com has its head office, Low Fare Finder House, in the grounds of Leeds Bradford International Airport. In 2006, the facility began construction to accommodate pilots, cabin crew, and "behind the scenes" employees.
In April 2013, Jet2.com moved its Customer Contact Centre, Finance, IT, Human Resource operations, Commercial and Marketing Departments into a new office, The Mint, Leeds city centre.
The airline also opened a new £9.5 million training academy in September 2014 at Euroway Industrial Estate in Bradford, UK.
On 29 April 2015, sister company Jet2 City Breaks was launched. In June 2017, Jet2.com launched Jet2Villas, through its Jet2holidays brand.
Jet2.com operates flights to 58 destinations across Europe, with a notable focus on Spain, the Mediterranean Sea and France. Its largest base is at Leeds Bradford Airport with eight additional operating bases across the United Kingdom alongside overseas bases at Alicante–Elche Airport and Palma de Mallorca Airport. Two more UK bases, at Birmingham Airport and London Stansted Airport, were opened in March 2017.
|Boeing 737-300QC||2||—||148||Quick Change-configuration for flexible passenger or cargo transportation.|
To be phased out.
|Boeing 737-300SF||2006||2017||One Converted Passenger Aircraft.|
|Year||Total passengers||Total flights||Load factor||Passenger Change (YoY)|
|Source: United Kingdom Civil Aviation Authority|
- "IATA - Airline and Airport Code Search". iata.org. Retrieved 13 April 2015.
- "Terms & Conditions - Jet2.com". jet2.com.
- "Airline Data - Civil Aviation Authority" (PDF). CAA.co.uk. Archived from the original (PDF) on 21 September 2015.
- "Directory: World Airlines". Flight International. 3 April 2007. pp. 97–98.
- "Welcome - Dart Group PLC". dartgroup.co.uk.
- "Companies House - English Company 02739537". Wck2.companieshouse.gov.uk. Retrieved 26 January 2013.
- "BBC - New airline routes promise jobs". BBC News. 28 August 2009. Retrieved 26 January 2013.
- "Cheap flights to & from New-York | Book Online Today!". Jet2.com. Retrieved 26 January 2013.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 16 September 2010. Retrieved 14 September 2010.
- "Telegraph & Argus - Jet2 flies high with three more routes". Telegraph & Argus. 28 May 2014. Retrieved 28 May 2014.
- "UK Airline Data". UK Civil Aviation Authority. 29 April 2017. Retrieved 29 April 2017.
- "Jet2 takes delivery of new aircraft as part of East Mids Airport expansion plans". Derbyshire Times. Johnston Publishing Ltd. 17 September 2016. Retrieved 20 September 2016.
- "BARGAIN HOLIDAYS Jet2.com offers 50,000 flights for just £30 as it launches operations in the south of England from Stansted". The Sun. 21 September 2016. Retrieved 27 September 2016.
- "New Manchester Hangar is Open for Business - Jet2.com". www.jet2.com.
- "Four More New Aircraft for Jet2.com and Jet2holidays". www.jet2.com (Press release). Retrieved 13 March 2017.
- "Jet2.com builds on its foundations at Leeds Bradford - literally!" Jet2. 6 February 2006. Retrieved on 5 January 2011.
- "Yorkshire Post - 200 jobs in pipeline as Jet2 moves to new office". Yorkshire Post Newspapers. 11 April 2013. Retrieved 11 April 2013.
- "Telegraph & Argus - New £9 million airline training base opens in Bradford". Telegraph & Argus. 19 September 2014. Retrieved 19 September 2014.
- "Jet2Villas launches". www.jet2.com (Press release). Retrieved 8 July 2017.
- "About Us – Dart Group". Dart Group.
- "Jet2.com and Jet2holidays Land at Birmingham Airport". Birmingham Airport. 7 July 2016. Retrieved 25 July 2016.
- "Jet2.com and Jet2holidays Go BIG for Summer 2017". Jet2.com. 3 June 2016. Retrieved 25 July 2016.
- "GINFO Search". Civil Aviation Authority. Retrieved 12 May 2018. Search term "JET2.COM" as the AOC Holder
- "Jet2 accelerates B737 freighter fleet phase out". ch-aviation. 19 January 2017. Retrieved 16 February 2017.
- "Kemble, UK - Airport Spotting Blog".
- "Airworthiness Approval Notes No 28585". Civil Aviation Authority (United Kingdom). 17 May 2004.
- "jet2 accelerates b737 freighter fleet phase out". ch-aviation. 16 January 2017.
Media related to Jet2.com at Wikimedia Commons