Jewell railway station
Southbound view from Platform 1 in November 2007
|Location||Wilson Avenue, Brunswick
|Operated by||Metro Trains Melbourne|
|Distance||6.50 kilometres from Southern Cross|
|Fare zone||Myki zone 1|
|Website||Public Transport Victoria|
|Opened||9 September 1884|
|Previous names||South Brunswick|
Jewell railway station is located on the Upfield railway line in Victoria, Australia, and serves the northern Melbourne suburb of Brunswick. It opened on 9 September 1884 as South Brunswick, and was renamed Jewell on 1 February 1954, honouring a long-serving member of the State Parliament, James Jewell, who represented the Brunswick electorate from 1910 to 1949.
A disused goods shed is located next to the Platform 1 entrance, whilst a disused signal box is located at the northern end of the station, next to the Union Street level crossing. The main station building, signal box and level crossing gates are listed on the Victorian Heritage Register.
The former level crossing at Barkly Street, at the southern end of the station, was closed to vehicle traffic in August 1998.
In June 2012, VicTrack announced its intention to revamp the station, as part of a mixed development that could include station restoration, enhanced open space, and a new commercial and residential development, adjacent on the eastern side. A program of community consultation was undertaken to find out local people's priorities for any alterations. Safety and better access were identified as main concerns. VicTrack is to seek interest from developers in 2013.
Platforms & services
Dyson's Bus Services operates one route via Jewell station:
Yarra Trams operates one route via Jewell station:
- Jewell Vicsig
- "Jewell, James Robert". Re-Member (former members). Parliament of Victoria. Retrieved 2013-02-18.
- Jewell Signal Box, Gates & Station Department of the Environment
- "Works". Newsrail. Australian Railway Historical Society. October 1998. p. 317.
- Merrett, Melissa (2012-12-04). "Commuters want Brunswick's Jewell to shine". Moreland Leader. Archived from the original on 23 December 2012. Retrieved 2013-02-18.
- Upfield Line timetable Public Transport Victoria
- Route 509 Brunswick West - Barkly Square SC timetable Public Transport Victoria
- Route 19 North Coburg - City Elizabeth St timetable Public Transport Victoria