The front page from August 10, 2017
|Owner(s)||Jeanne F. Samuels and Vicki Samuels Levy|
|Staff writers||Michael Duke, Aaron Howard, Ted Powers, Matt Samuels|
The Jewish Herald-Voice is a weekly community newspaper serving the Jewish community of Texas' Gulf Coast. It is headquartered in Upper Kirby, Houston. Established in 1908, it bills itself as the longest-running Jewish paper in the Southwest.
Known as the Herald, it is subscribed to by approximately 7,000 households, and claims a readership of more than 30,000. The paper is owned by the Samuels family, but also publishers, and is edited by Michael Duke.
In 2001, a group of volunteers from the Greater Houston Jewish Genealogical Society began indexing all "life-cycle information" — announcements of births, engagements, marriages, deaths, and burials — for use in historical and genealogical projects. As of August, 2011, the index database included all events from the beginning of the paper's publication through June 2011.
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (November 2019)
Joseph Samuels (December 10, 1915-January 19, 2011) served as the publisher after he and wife Jeanne (née Franklin) acquired the publication in 1973. Sequentially two other people/groups of people owned the newspaper before him.
The paper has an “e-Edition” letting readers view the full newspaper digitally on their smartphone or other electronic device. It is powered by Media Wire Mobile.
Their website has summaries of the top stories. These are usually published at the time of occurrence so breaking news can be distributed sooner than the weekly issue.
They have a biweekly email sent out to their subscribers and some non-subscribers. The emails consist of a newsletter for the top news and ads, and an e-Edition publish notification.
Every year there are numerous magazines mailed out to their magazine subscribers. These magazines are one per year and include special content relating to these occasions. They include Passover, Rosh Hashanah, Bar/Bat mitzvah planner, Weddings to Remember, and their VOICES magazine.
- "Contact Us." Jewish Herald-Voice. Retrieved on April 7, 2014. "Delivery: 3403 Audley St. Houston, TX 77098"
- "District Map" (Archive). Upper Kirby District. Retrieved on April 7, 2014.
- "Kenny & Ziggy's". kennyandziggys.com. Retrieved 2017-06-22.
- "Jewish Herald-Voice". jhvonline.com. Retrieved 2017-06-22.
- Texas member publications, American Jewish Publication Association online member directory. Retrieved 2011-08-22.
- Jewish Herald-Voice indexing project information from the Greater Houston Jewish Genealogical Society. Retrieved 2011-08-22.
- Houston Jewish Herald-Voice database, JewishGen.org. Retrieved 2011-08-22.
- Buras, Aimee (2011-01-23). "Jewish Herald-Voice publisher Joseph Samuels dead at 95". Houston Chronicle. Retrieved 2019-11-09.
|This Judaism-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a Texas newspaper is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|