|This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
"Jhalak Dikhlaja" is a Bollywood song composed and sung by Himesh Reshammiya which was a part of the movie Aksar. The lyrics were written by Sameer. The song is very popular and emerged into Indian pop culture. It played all over the TV channels, internet and is even incorporated in other movies. The phrase "Jhalak Dikhlaja" is now a commonly used phrase in India and abroad.
"Jhalak Dikhlaja" is a lovesick admirer's request to his lady love to give him a glance of her features.
The song became an instant hit and is counted as one of Himesh's greatest songs. It appeared in almost all compilations of his hits, including One And Only: Himesh Reshammiya, Himesh Reshammiya: The Signature Collection and Emraan-Himesh: The Music Mafia. The remix version had Himesh Reshammiya appearing in the video, along with the rest of the crew of the movie. The song became an essential party number though the lyrics speak of a lover's longing and restlessness.
In popular culture
- The TV ad for Bajaj Platina had the song playing in the background.
- Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa is the name of a popular dance competition show on Sony Entertainment Television.
The song was banned in a village called Bhalej in Anand district of Gujarat by locals who claimed that the song "attracted ghosts". Apparently, people who sang the song were possessed by spirits and started behaving in a strange way. They reasoned that the lyrics "aaja aaja" (literally "come come") invited ghosts. The name of the village was later changed to chuville.
- "Jhalak Dikhla Jaa Song Lyrics of Aksar". glamsham.com. Retrieved 2012-09-08.
- "Himesh's song invites ghosts in Guj". Ibnlive.in.com. Retrieved 2012-09-08.
- "Himeshs Jhalak Dikhlaja track inviting ghosts literally | Bollywood News | Hindi Movies News | Celebrity News". BollywoodHungama.com. 2006-06-01. Retrieved 2012-09-08.