Shilphore Hillock, Jhalda
|• Type||Urban Local Body|
|Elevation||293 m (961 ft)|
|• Official||Bengali, English|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|Telephone code||+91 3254|
|Vehicle registration||WB 56|
|Lok Sabha constituency||Purulia|
|Vidhan Sabha constituency||Baghmundi, Joypur|
Jhalda is located at  It has an average elevation of 293 m (961 ft)..
Jhalda has been declared as a Sub-Division in the year 2009 by the Chief Minister of W.B, Mr. Buddhadeb Bhattacharya. Jhalda has got two Blocks, Jhalda - I Development Block and Jhalda - II Development Block. Jhalda - I Development Block is situated at Mosina, Near Jhalda and Jhalda II Development Block is situated at Kotshila.
Jhalda police station has jurisdiction over a part of Jhalda municipal town, Jhalda I CD Block and part of Jhalda II CD Block. The area covered is 290 km2 and the population covered is 157,064. It has 48.7 km of inter-state border with Silli PS in Ranchi district and Kashmar and Jaridih police stations in Bokaro district of Jharkhand.
As of 2010[update] India census, Jhalda had a population of 19544. Males constitute 52% of the population and females 48%. Jhalda has an average literacy rate of 64%, higher than the national average of 59.5%: male literacy is 73%, and female literacy is 53%. In Jhalda, 14% of the population is under 6 years of age.
There are schools like Satyabhama, Girl's High School, Hindi High School and Jhlada High School. There is a college named A.M. College.
It is a small town surrounded by small hillocks. The main hills of the area are Shikra, Bansa, Kopla, Silphor, etc. The places of interest of the area are Norahara, Murguma dam,Dimu Dam, Kanrior, etc. Jhalda is adjacent to the state of Jharkhand (9 km from Muri. Jhalda Station is the railway station in the region. The village of Kotogara is on the other side of the mountains at Jhalda. Kotogara village is in Jharkhand. One of the main visit place is Ayodhya Hills its about 35 km from jhalda which situated in Baghmundi.
Jhalda railway station is situated on the Gomoh-Muri line. This town is also well connected with district head quarter Purulia and Ranchi by bus services. Toto and rickshaw is also available here for more comfort to travel.
Jhalda Block Primary Health Centre functions with 15 beds.
- Falling Rain Genomics, Inc - Jhalda
- "District Statistical Handbook 2014 Purulia". Tables 2.1, 2.2,. Department of Statistics and Programme Implementation, Government of West Bengal. Archived from the original on 29 July 2017. Retrieved 5 October 2016.
- "Jhalda PS". Purulia District Police. Retrieved 5 October 2016.
- "Census of India 2001: Data from the 2011 Census, including cities, villages and towns (Provisional)". Census Commission of India. Archived from the original on 2004-06-16. Retrieved 2008-11-01.
- "Rural Health". Purulia district administration. Retrieved 2 December 2016.