2014 Jharkhand Legislative Assembly election
81 seats of Jharkhand Legislative Assembly
41 seats needed for a majority
The Jharkhand Legislative Assembly election, 2014 (Hindi:झारखण्ड विधानसभा चुनाव) was held in five phases between November 25, and December 20, counting of votes and results were announced on December 23, 2014. The Bhartiya Janata Party (BJP) won the elections defeating The Indian National Congress (INC) and its major allies Rashtriya Janata Dal, Janata Dal (United), and Jharkhand Mukti Morcha (JMM). This was the first time, since Jharkhand was created, for a single-party majority in the state assembly, with BJP getting 42 out of 81, 1 more that required majority. This has provided for a stable government in the state for past 4 years.
The term of the legislative assembly of Jharkhand ended on January 3, 2015. The Chief Election Commissioner announced five-phased assembly elections to be held in Jharkhand along with Jammu and Kashmir, beginning from November 25 and ending December 20, counting of votes and results will be announced on December 23, 2014.Voter-verified paper audit trail(VVPAT) along with EVMs were used in 7 assembly seats out of 81 in Jharkhand elections- Jamshedpur East, Jamshedpur West, Bokaro, Dhanbad, Ranchi, Kanke and Hatia.
The five stages of the elections were held as follows:
|2 December||20||65.46% |
|9 December||17||61% |
|Party||Flag/Symbol||Seats Won||Vote Percantage|
|Bharatiya Janata Party||37||31.3%|
|All Jharkhand Students Union||5||3.7%|
|JVM(P) MLA's joined BJP (11 feb 2015)||6|
|Jharkhand Vikas Morcha (P)||2||10%|
|Jharkhand Mukti Morcha||19||20.4%|
|Indian National Congress||7||10.5%|
|Bahujan Samaj Party||1||1.8%|
|Communist Party of India (ML)(L)||1||1.5%|
|Marxist Co-ordination Committee||1||1.0%|
|Jai Bharat Samanta Party||1||0.8%|
|Navjawan Sangharsh Morcha||1||0.5%|
Raghubar Das was sworn in as the 10th chief minister of Jharkhand state on 28 December 2014.
Six Jharkhand Vikas Morcha (Prajatantrik) MLAs on 11 Feb 2015 joined the BJP, a day after petitioning the Speaker to allow them to sit alongside ruling BJP-led coalition members in the state Assembly.
“Naveen Jaiswal (Hatia), Amar Kumar Bauri (Chandankiyari), Ganesh Ganju (Simeria), Alok Kumar Chourasia (Daltonganj), Ranjit Singh (Sarath) and Janki Yadav (Barkatha) joined the party at Jharkhand Bhavan in Delhi”
- 5-PHASE POLLS IN J&K, J’KHAND FROM NOV 25
- 5 phase polls for 4th Assembly to begin on Nov 25
- "Impressive turnout in J&K and Jharkhand". thehindu. Retrieved 6 December 2014.
- "Assembly polls 2nd phase: 71 pc voting in J&K, 65.46 pc in Jharkhand". indianexpress. Retrieved 6 December 2014.
- "Polls in the Shadow of Terror: 58% People Vote in Jammu and Kashmir". NDTV. Retrieved 9 December 2014.
- "Braving bullets 58% cast ballot in Jammu and Kashmir, 61% voting in Jharkhand in third phase of elections". dna India. Retrieved 9 December 2014.
- "2014 Assembly Election Results of Jammu & Kasmir / Jharkhand". Election Commission of India. Archived from the original on 23 December 2014. Retrieved 2014-12-23.