Veer Surendra Sai Airport
Jharsuguda Airport (ICAO: VEJH) renamed as Veer Surendra Sai Airport  is located 5 kilometers north-east of Jharsuguda in Odisha, India. The upgraded airport was inaugurated by Prime minister Narendra Modi on 22 September 2018. Flights will resume by SpiceJet from 31 March 2019.
The airfield was used during World War II by the RAF and other Allied Forces to counter Indian Freedom Fighters led by Subhas Chandra Bose.After India gained Independence from Allied Forces, the airfield was abandoned. In 2008, AAI carried out a feasibility study to revive Jharsuguda airport, which, by then was occasionally used by General Aviation aircraft and was unfit for commercial operations. Air Odisha launched non-scheduled commercial flights between Rourkela, Jharsuguda and Bhubaneswar on 2 November 2012. The airport was spread over 909.22 acres. The State Government sanctioned Rs. 50 crore in July 2013 to kick-start the Rs 175-crore airport development project which was to be jointly executed by the Airports Authority of India(AAI) and the State Government. The AAI needed an additional 275.75 acres to convert it into a full-fledged airport. including a 5,500 square meter new terminal building and air traffic control (ATC) tower. On 30 July 2014, Odisha government signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) with the Airport Authority of India for development of the state's second airport at Jharsuguda. The Ministry of environment and forest (MoEF) gave its nod for the expansion of the airport to handle Airbus A320 aircraft in February 2015. In May 2018, The Directorate General of Civil Aviation (DGCA) granted licence to Jharsuguda airport to make it the second operational airport in Odisha after the Biju Patnaik International Airport in Bhubaneswar. In September 2018, Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated the airport.
- "Cabinet clears renaming Jharsuguda aerodrome as Veer Surendra Sai airport". Economic Times. Retrieved 21 January 2019.
- "PM to inaugurate Jharsuguda airport in Odisha on September 22". The Times of India. 31 August 2018. Retrieved 11 September 2018.
- "PM Modi inaugurates new airport in Odisha's Jharsuguda". The Times of India. 22 September 2018. Retrieved 22 September 2018.
- "SpiceJet To Begin Flight Operation At Jharsuguda Airport From March 31". kalingatv.com. 9 February 2019. Retrieved 16 February 2019.
- "Veer Surendra Sai Airport in Jharsuguda - A Brief History -". Odisha News Insight. 22 September 2018. Retrieved 14 February 2019.
- "Pre feasibility report". Airports Authority of India. Retrieved 11 September 2018.
- "Government sanctions Rs 50 crore for Jharsuguda". The Times of India. 22 July 2013. Retrieved 27 July 2013.
- "Jharsuguda airport to be developed". The Times of India. 24 April 2013. Retrieved 14 May 2013.
- "Odisha asks AAI for support to develop Jeypore airport". Business Standard. 14 September 2014. Retrieved 11 September 2018.
- "Odisha signs MoU with AAI for second airport at Jharsuguda". The Economic Times. 30 July 2014. Retrieved 11 September 2018.
- "Jharsuguda airport receives expert panel nod". Orissa Post. 17 February 2015. Retrieved 11 September 2018.
- "J'suguda Airport fit for 320 Airbus flight". The Pioneer. 2 August 2018. Retrieved 11 September 2018.
- Airport information for VEJH at World Aero Data. Data current as of October 2006.
- Recent developments on Jharsuguda Airport
- AAI plans 2nd airport in state
- Airport plan
|This article about an airport in India is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|