ଝାରସୁଗୁଡା ବିମାନ ବନ୍ଦର
|IATA: None – ICAO: VEJH|
Jharsuguda Airport (IATA: VEJH) is located 5 kilometres north-east of Jharsuguda in western Odisha, India. The airfield was used during World War II by the Allied Forces to counter Japanese advances. After the war and Indian Independence, the airfield was abandoned. Air Odisha launched non-scheduled commercial flights between Rourkela, Jharsuguda and Bhubaneswar on 2 November 2012. Air Odisha launched the experimental flight of a nine-seater aircraft of at Rourkela airport in the evening after being flagged off at Bhubaneswar.
Jharsuguda airport is spread over 909.22 acres. The State Government sanctioned Rs. 50 crore in July 2013 to kick-start the Rs 175-crore airport development project to be jointly executed by the Airports Authority of India(AAI) and the State Government. The AAI needs an additional 275.75 acres to convert it into a full-fledged airport. A 5,500 square metre new terminal building and air traffic control (ATC) tower will also be built.
On 30 July 2014, Odisha government signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) with the Airport Authority of India for development of the state's second airport at Jharsuguda.
Jharsuguda Airport, a greenfield project, will be completed by May, 2018.The airport, which will be developed with an investment of `210 crore, will have facility to handle at least 300 passengers per day.The funds will be used on a new modular design passenger terminal, strengthening and extension of the runway (From 1882 metres to 2391 metres), taxiway, new technical block, control tower, fire station, staff quarters and state-of-the-art Communication Navigation Surveillance (CNS) installations.
Airlines and destinations
|Air Odisha||Angul, Bhubaneswar, Jeypore, Rourkela, Sambalpur|
- "Air Odisha launched commercial flights between Rourkela, Jharsuguda, Bhubaneswar,". Orissa Diary. November 2, 2012. Retrieved 2014-01-03.
- "Government sanctions Rs 50 crore for Jharsuguda". The Times of India. 22 July 2013. Retrieved 27 July 2013.
- "Jharsuguda airport to be developed". The Times of India. 24 April 2013. Retrieved 14 May 2013.
- "Air Costa, Vistara and Air Odisha to operate soon in Odisha". Retrieved 10 January 2015.
- Airport information for VEJH at World Aero Data. Data current as of October 2006.
- Recent developments on Jharsuguda Airport
- AAI plans 2nd airport in state
- Airport plan
|This article about an airport in India is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|