Solano playing for the Washington Nationals
|Washington Nationals – No. 66|
August 12, 1985 |
|May 29, 2012, for the Washington Nationals|
(through 2015 season)
|Runs batted in||10|
Solano signed with the Washington Nationals as an international free agent in 2006. He spent the next six seasons working his way up the Nationals' farm system. After spending the 2011 season with the Syracuse Chiefs, the Nationals added Solano to their 40-man roster after the season to protect him from the Rule 5 draft.
On May 29, 2012, Solano was called up to the majors by the Nationals after Wilson Ramos tore his ACL and could miss the rest of the 2012 season. On that same day, Solano got his first major league hit, a double, on his first at bat against his brother Donovan's team, the Miami Marlins. About two weeks later, on June 12, 2012, he hit the first home run of his major league career against the Toronto Blue Jays
On July 19, 2012, the Nationals placed Solano on the 15-day disabled list with an oblique injury.
Solano was released by the Washington Nationals on November 18, 2014.
Solano signed a minor league deal with the Miami Marlins on December 9, 2014. He was designated for assignment on June 5, 2015. He was called back up by the Marlins on June 18 and designated for assignment again two days later.
Second Stint with the Washington Nationals
On December 22, 2015, Solano signed a minor league deal with the Nationals. Catching for the Class-AAA Syracuse Chiefs, Solano set a new club record for number of games caught for the Syracuse team. He had his contract purchased on April 7, 2018, but was assigned to the disabled list with bone chips in his elbow days later without appearing in a game.
- Kilgore, Adam (May 29, 2012). "Jhonatan Solano greets his brother Donovan Solano in the majors with their parents watching". Washington Post. Retrieved February 18, 2014.
- Comak, Amanda (May 16, 2013). "Nationals place Wilson Ramos on the disabled list, recall Jhonatan Solano". Washihngton Times. Archived from the original on May 17, 2013. Retrieved May 16, 2013.
- Gitlin, Marty (June 5, 2015). "Marlins activate C Jeff Mathis, DFA Jhonatan Solano". fantasynews.cbssports.com. Retrieved June 5, 2015.
- Kramer, Lindsay (April 16, 2018). "Long-time Syracuse Chiefs catcher to miss a big chunk of the season". Syracuse.com. Retrieved April 16, 2018.
- "Nationals add right-hander Hellickson to start against Mets". The Washington Post. April 16, 2018. Retrieved April 16, 2018.