porto velho Rondônia
|The Municipality of Ji-Paraná|
Street view of Ji-Paraná
Location of Ji-Paraná municipality in the State of Rondônia
|Founded||October 11, 1977|
|• Mayor||Jesualdo Pires Ferreira Junior PSB|
|• Total||6,896.649 km2 (2,662.811 sq mi)|
|Elevation||170 m (560 ft)|
|• Density||19/km2 (48/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC-4 (UTC-4)|
|HDI (2000)||0.753 – medium|
Coordinates: Ji-Paraná (sometimes spelled Jiparaná) is the second most populous municipality in the Brazilian state of Rondônia, with a population of 130,419, and the 16th most populous city of the Brazilian North Region, the 210th most populous city of Brazil, and the 113th of the Brazilian interior. It has an area of 6,897 km². The city is divided by the Ji-Paraná River.
The city economy is industry and dairy production. The city was also the first of Rondônia State to invest in high technology of data transmission, when it connected, through a wireless network, the City Hall.
The municipality name comes from tupi, meaning "great river of axes", through the junction of yî (axe) e paranã (sea, great river). It is a reference to the great amount of rocks in the river looking like indigenous axes. The municipality is also known as the Heart of Rondônia, due to the central city location and the existence of a heart shaped island, located in the confluence of the Machado and Urupá River.
Located in central Rondônia, the city attracted many settlers from the 1970s onward. As a result of corruption, lawlessness and a general lack of regulation, Ji-Paraná has been at the centre of Rondônia's extreme deforestation, which today extends up to the border with Bolivia. The area between Ji-Paraná and Porto Velho, the regional capital 373 km away, is now largely deforested. The deforestation expands along smaller illegally built roads stemming from the BR-364 highway.
The city is served by José Coleto Airport.
Jesualdo Pires Ferreira Junior is the city's current mayor, his term expires in 2016.
- "Brazilian Institute of Geography and Statistics" (in Portuguese). 2017. Retrieved 27 March 2019.
2018 Area Total
- "Brazilian Institute of Geography and Statistics" (PDF) (in Portuguese). 2018. Retrieved 6 March 2019.
2018 Estimates of Population
-  Archived 2009-10-03 at the Wayback Machine - UNDP
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2007-01-09. Retrieved 2014-08-03.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link) - IBGE
- Navarro, Eduardo (2005). Método Moderno de Tupi Antigo. São Paulo: Global. pp. 370, 374.
- "SEJAM BEM VINDOS À CIDADE DE JI-PARANÁ".
- Unidade de Conservação: Reserva Biológica do Jaru (in Portuguese), MMA: Ministério do Meio Ambiente, retrieved 2016-04-27
-  - City Hall of Ji-Paraná
- (in Portuguese) Prefeitura Municipal de Ji-Paraná (official page of Ji-Paraná)
- (in Portuguese) Cidade Ji-Paraná
|This Rondônia, Brazil location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|