Jia Ruhan in 2012.
|Birth name||Jia Ruhan|
Jia Ruhan (贾茹涵) is a Chinese soprano who performs in plays, as well as in opera, musicals, films, and solo recitals. She was born in Shijiazhuang and graduated with a Bachelor of Arts degree from the Shanghai Conservatory of Music.
She sang the roles of Queen Mother of Heaven and Guan Yin in the world premiere performance of Damon Albarn's opera, Monkey: Journey To The West on 28 June 2007 at the Palace Theatre, Manchester and later reprised the roles at the Théâtre du Châtelet in Paris in September and October of that year. In March 2008, she recorded the BBC Olympic Theme Song for the 2008 Beijing Olympic Games, also composed by Albarn.
Awards and prizes
In May 2009, she won the First Prize at the XVIII edition of the Discovery International Pop Music Festival in Varna. The following July, she won the Second Prize in the solo vocal competition at the Llangollen International Eisteddfod (UK).
In July 2009, American Chinese producer, Christopher Tin, invited Ruhan to record on his debut album “Calling All Dawns”, which won two Grammys at the 53rd Annual Grammy Awards: Best Classical Crossover Album, and Best Instrumental Arrangement Accompanying Vocalists. In 2011, Ruhan signed with Shanghai Synergy Culture & Entertainment Group (SSCEG) and a-Peer Synergy Culture & Technology Co., Ltd.
In February 2013, the Best Album Award of the 4th China Outstanding Audio Award.
- Christopher Tin: Calling All Dawns (Track 3:"Dao Zai Fan") Label: Tin Works .
- Damon Albarn: Monkey: Journey To The West. Label: Chrysalis Music.
- Iggy Strange Dahl, Johan Moraeu, Erik Lewander: Time to Grow, Label: Shanghai Synergy Culture & Entertainment Group Co., Ltd.
- Pavle Kovacevic, René Möckel, Sylvain Gourlay, Huang Hui: Smile, featured artists: The Italian Tenors & I QUATTRO Label: 13 Bis Music & a-Peer Synergy Shanghai Culture & Technology Co., Ltd.
Notes and references
- Shijiazhuang Daily, 石家庄走出的 东方天使, 5 January 2010 (in Chinese, Google English translation)
- Alexander, Caroline, Review: Monkey: Journey to the West, Théâtre du Châtelet, Webthea, 1 October 2007
- BBC Sport, Olympics 'Monkey' theme, 22 August 2008
- Discovery International Pop Music Festival, 2009 prize winners
- Llangollen International Eisteddfod, 2009 competition results
- Chrysalis Music, Liner Notes: Monkey: Journey To The West
- Official website Offline October 2017