Jieyang Chaoshan International Airport
Jieyang Chaoshan International Airport
|Operator||Shantou, Chaozhou, Jieyang Airport Cooperation|
|Location||Denggang Town, Jiedong County, Jieyang, Guangdong|
|Hub for||China Southern Airlines|
|Jieyang Chaoshan International Airport|
Jieyang Chaoshan International Airport (IATA: SWA, ICAO: ZGOW) is an airport serving the cities of Jieyang, Shantou, Chaozhou and nearby areas in eastern Guangdong Province, China. It is located in the towns of Paotai and Denggang in Jiedong District, Jieyang, Guangdong. It was part of a relocation plan from the original Shantou Waisha Airport, and the site was chosen to be near the geographic center of Jieyang, Shantou, and Chaozhou. The airport was put into service on December 15, 2011, with the simultaneous shut-down of Shantou Waisha Airport as a civil aviation airport.
The city of Shantou was formerly served by Shantou Waisha Airport, a dual-use military and civil airport. Construction of Jieyang Chaoshan Airport began on June 16, 2009 with a total investment of 3.8 billion yuan. In November 2011, the Chinese Ministry of Environmental Protection halted the construction of the airport due to unauthorized deviations from the approved environmental impact report. The airport authorities submitted a revised environmental impact report, which gained approval from the ministry. Jieyang Chaoshan Airport was opened on December 15, 2011, when all civil flights were transferred from the old Waisha Airport, which remains in use as a military air base. On July 10, 2014, the Chinese government officially gave the airport international status, after having operated international flights for a number of years already. This allowed the airport to officially begin regular international flights in addition to those already operating.
The airport covers an area of 55,000 square metres and 12 jetways with the passenger terminal divided into two, with the domestic terminal on one side and the international on the other. The whole terminal has an annual traffic capacity of 4.5 million passengers. A second check-in terminal has also been created outside Shantou Railway Station, with bus connections to the airport.In 2017, the airport was scheduled to undergo an expansion to extend the length of the runway from 2,800 to 3,200 metres in order to upgrade it to a code 4E runway which completed August 2019 along with construction of a transfer centre for the Chaoshan Railway Station.  The railway station serves two rail lines: the Xiashen line and the Meishan (Meizhou-Chaoshan) line, which was expected to be completed by the end of 2017.
Airlines and destinations
Jieyang Chaoshan Airport is among the 50 busiest passenger airports in China.
|2018||3,683,000 (YTD July)||40.8%|
- "汕头机场一夜整体"搬家" 转场揭阳潮汕机场－地方新闻－时政频道－中工网".
- "GE investing in 3.7b yuan Jieyang Chaoshan Airport in Guangdong".
- 揭阳潮汕机场总体概况 (in Chinese). Jieyang Chaoshan Airport. Archived from the original on 2013-01-28. Retrieved 2013-01-23.
- 广东揭阳潮汕机场15日使用 曾因环评未过关停建. Tencent (in Chinese). 2011-12-11. Retrieved 2013-01-23.
- 揭阳潮汕机场今晨起飞首架航机. Netease (in Chinese). 2011-12-15. Retrieved 2013-01-23.
- "揭阳潮汕机场2013年接送旅客268.7万人次-中国民航网". Archived from the original on 2014-01-08.
- 林双英. "揭阳航空口岸通过验收_地市滚动_南方网".
- "New Airport in East Guangdong _Life of Guangzhou".
- "Jieyang Airport, Jieyang Chaoshan International Airport - SWA, ZGOW".
- "揭阳潮汕机场汕头候机楼月底启用 - 信息时报 - 汉丰网".
- Liu, Jim. "Air Macau adds Jieyang/Chaoshan service from late-Oct 2019". Routesonline. Retrieved 4 October 2019.
- "Lanmei Airlines schedules new China routes in Jul/Aug 2018". Routesonline. Retrieved 3 August 2018.
- Liu, Jim (25 September 2019). "Spring Airlines expands Macau network in W19". Routesonline. Retrieved 25 September 2019.
- "Spring Airlines adds new Cambodia routes from Dec 2017". routesonline. Retrieved 5 December 2017.
- 曾剑峰. "潮汕机场将开通揭阳直飞马来西亚泰国航线_广东精选_南方网".
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2015-06-26. Retrieved 2015-01-07.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2014-01-02. Retrieved 2013-11-06.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- L_103866. "揭阳潮汕机场将开放国际口岸--广东频道--人民网".