Jiji (Chinese: 集集; pinyin: jíjí; Wade–Giles: Chi-chi; Pe̍h-ōe-jī: Chi̍p-chi̍p) or Chichi is an urban township located in the west central portion of Nantou County, Taiwan. In the past, the Jiji township encompassed a much larger area and included the present-day Shueili Township, but today's Jiji is the smallest of Taiwan's townships by area.
Empire of Japan
During the Japanese era (1895–1945), Jiji was a collection and shipping point for camphor produced in the surrounding areas. By 1940, it was administrated as Shūshū Town (Japanese: 集集街?), Niitaka District (新高郡), Taichū Prefecture.
Republic of China
In 1946, the district name was changed to Yushan District (玉山區) under Shuili Township (水裡鄉), Taichung County. In 1950, Jiji separated from Shuili, creating Jiji Township (集集鎮) and Shueili Township. During World War II, a U.S. bomber was shot down by Japanese artillery, killing four airmen.
As of December 2016, Jiji was home to a total population of 11,035, including 5,745 males and 5,290 females. Historically, the population peaked at 16,395 in 1970, and has fallen steadily since then. By contrast, the number of households grew from 2,772 in 1970 to a high of 4,376 in 2014, falling slightly to 4,308 by 2016.
Jiji is bordered by Jhongliao to the north, Mingjian to the west, Zhushan and Lugu to the south, and Shueili to the east. The Zhuoshui River flows westward along the south border of the township. Jiji Township has a total area of 49.72 square kilometres. The lowest point in the township lies at 230 m above sea level and its highest point is Big Jiji Mountain (集集大山) at 1392 m above sea level. The township is very mountainous and is surrounded by mountains on all sides.
Jiji is administered as 11 villages: Ailiao, Bazhang, Fushan, Guangming, Heping, Jiji, Linwei, Tianliao, Yongchang, Yuying and Wucuo.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Jiji Township, Nantou.|
- Wong, Maggie Hiufu (2012-03-30). "Taiwan names its 10 top small tourist towns". CNN Go. Retrieved 2012-03-31.
- "About Chichi(關於集集)" (in Chinese). 2007-02-22.
- "集集镇". zh:集集鎮#歷史. Wikipedia (Chinese).
- 村里鄰人口數 [Population figures by rural village/urban village/neighborhood]. jijihr.nantou.gov.tw (in Chinese). Jiji Township Household Registration Office. December 2016. Retrieved 2017-01-27.
- 歷年人口數 [Historical population figures]. jijihr.nantou.gov.tw (in Chinese). Jiji Township Household Registration Office. Retrieved 2017-01-27.
- 地理氣候 [Geography & climate]. www.chi-chi.gov.tw (in Chinese). Jiji Township Office. December 2015. Retrieved 2017-01-27.
- 集集鎮長陳紀衡當選，太陽花學運如何改變一個人 (in Chinese), Commonwealth Magazine, 2014-12-07
- Jiji Township Office (Chinese)