Jill Black, Lady Black of Derwent
Lady Black of Derwent
|Justice of the Supreme Court of the United Kingdom|
2 October 2017 – 10 January 2021
|Nominated by||David Lidington|
|Preceded by||Lord Toulson|
|Succeeded by||Dame Vivien Rose|
|Lady Justice of Appeal|
15 June 2010 – 1 October 2017
|Preceded by||Sir Nicholas Wall|
|Born||1 June 1954|
Jill Margaret Black, Lady Black of Derwent,  is a former Justice of the Supreme Court of the United Kingdom., known as Lady Black (née Currie; born 1 June 1954),
Early and private life
She is the daughter of two doctors, James Irvine Currie and Margaret Yvonne Currie.
She was appointed to the High Court on 1 October 1999, and received the customary appointment as a Dame Commander of the Order of the British Empire. She was assigned to the Family Division, and served as Family Division Liaison Judge to the Northern Circuit from 2000 to 2004. On 15 June 2010, Black became a Lady Justice of Appeal, and was appointed to the Privy Council.
In 2004, she became Chairman of the Judicial Studies Board's Family Committee. She continued in that role until her appointment to the Judicial Appointments Commission as a judicial member in 2008.
It was announced on 21 July 2017 that Lady Justice Black would become the second female judge of the Supreme Court of the United Kingdom, after Lady Hale, taking office on 2 October 2017. On 30 October 2020 it was announced that Lady Black would retire as a Justice of the Supreme Court of the United Kingdom on 10 January 2021. 
- Senior Judiciary List Archived 28 July 2012 at WebCite
- ‘BLACK, Rt Hon. Dame Jill (Margaret)’, Who's Who 2017, A & C Black, an imprint of Bloomsbury Publishing plc, 2017; online edn, Oxford University Press, 2016 ; online edn, Nov 2016 accessed 28 July 2017
- "No. 55633". The London Gazette. 11 October 1999. p. 10807.
- "No. 59463". The London Gazette. 18 June 2010. p. 11490.
- "Commissioners". Judicial Appointments Commission. Archived from the original on 25 April 2010. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Lady Hale appointed next President of Supreme Court, alongside three new Justices, Supreme Court, 21 July 2017
- Selection process for Supreme Court Justice launched, Supreme Court, 30 October 2020