Jill P. Mesirov
Jill P. Mesirov
|Alma mater||Brandeis University (PhD)|
|Awards||ISCB Fellow (2012)|
|Thesis||Perturbation theory for the existence of critical points in the calculus of variations (1974)|
|Doctoral advisor||Richard Palais|
Jill P. Mesirov is an American mathematician, computer scientist, and computational biologist who was the associate director and chief informatics officer at the Eli and Edythe L. Broad Institute of MIT and Harvard. She also holds an adjunct faculty position at Boston University.
Research and career
Her research concerns high-performance computing. Effective July 1, 2015, she has been appointed Associate Vice Chancellor for Computational Health Sciences and Professor of Medicine at the University of California, San Diego School of Medicine and Moores Cancer Center.
She has worked at the University of California, Berkeley, the American Mathematical Society, Thinking Machines Corporation, and IBM before joining the Whitehead Institute of MIT in 1997, which eventually became part of the Broad Institute. She was president of the Association for Women in Mathematics from 1989 to 1991.
Awards and honors
Mesirov became a fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science in 1996. In 2012, she was elected an ISCB Fellow by the International Society for Computational Biology in 2012, and one of the inaugural fellows of the American Mathematical Society. In 2017, she was selected as a fellow of the Association for Women in Mathematics in the inaugural class.
- Anon (2017). "ISCB Fellows". iscb.org. International Society for Computational Biology. Archived from the original on 2017-03-20.
- Jill P. Mesirov at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
- Profile, Broad Institute, retrieved 2015-02-22.
- "UCSD School of Medicine retrieved 2015-06-26".
- Taylor, Jean E.; Wiegand, Sylvia M. (1999), "AWM in the 1990s: a recent history of the Association for Women in Mathematics" (PDF), Notices of the American Mathematical Society, 46 (1): 27–38, MR 1658878.
- "AAAS Fellows Elected" (PDF), Mathematics People, Notices of the American Mathematical Society, 43 (4): 451, April 1996.
- People in the News: Bonnie Berger, Peter Karp, Jill Mesirov, Pavel Pevzner, Ron Shamir, Martin Vingron, genomeweb, July 13, 2012, retrieved 2015-02-22.
- List of Fellows of the American Mathematical Society, retrieved 2015-02-22.
- "Launch of the AWM Fellows Program". sites.google.com/site/awmmath/. Association for Women in Mathematics. Retrieved 7 November 2017.