Jill Stevens, combat medic and Miss Utah 2007
|Allegiance||United States of America|
|Service/branch||Army National Guard|
|Years of service||2001-Present|
|Unit||1st Battalion, 211th Aviation Regiment|
|Beauty pageant titleholder|
|Education||Southern Utah University|
|Title(s)||Miss Davis County 2007
Miss Utah 2007
|Miss America 2008 (Top 16)|
Jill Stevens is Miss Utah 2007. She was chosen as Miss Southern Utah University and Miss Davis County. She is a combat medic in the Utah Army National Guard and served as a medic during an 18-month tour in Afghanistan in 2004-2005 supporting Operation Enduring Freedom.
Stevens joined the Army National Guard six months before 9/11. In November 2003, Jill was deployed to Afghanistan, returning home in April 2005. She has earned 5 medals for her outstanding service, and was the first female finisher of the inaugural Afghanistan Marathon, making a total of 12 marathons she has completed together with earning the highest Fitness award during Army Basic Training. In representing the Army National Guard, Sergeant Stevens recently[when?] addressed Generals from 40 different nations gathered at Hill Air Force Base.
In addition to her U.S. military service, Jill graduated summa cum laude from the Nursing program at Southern Utah University on a four-year leadership scholarship. She placed 3rd in the Cinco De Mayo Sailboat Regatta in Mexico as well as being chosen one of four women for the "Women of Strength" featured in Muscle & Fitness Hers magazine September/October 2007 issue. Additionally, Jill has been a fitness instructor for Gold's Gym for several years, as well as a bread baker for Great Harvest. Possibly one of her most unusual experiences was her unexpected experience in becoming Miss Utah 2007 and subsequent competition in the Miss America Pageant in January 2008. On January 26, 2008, Sgt Stevens was named the "America's Choice" semi-finalist in the Miss America 2008 pageant. This was the first time a 16th semi-finalist was named in the competition, and the only semi-finalist not to be selected by the judges. Jill was eliminated after the swimsuit competition along with five other semi-finalists. She was the only contestant to wear a one-piece swimsuit. When her name was announced she dropped to the stage and started doing push-ups.
Jill married Kerry Shepherd in January 2009.
- Warren, Chelsea (3 July 2009), "'Faith in the Service' through Mormon eyes", MormonTimes, retrieved 2009-08-30
- Farmer, Molly (9 August 2009), "Jill Stevens Shepherd encourages YSAs to be proud of who they are", MormonTimes, retrieved 2009-08-30
- Marshall, Andrew (4 July 2008), "MormonTimes.com racers finish first", MormonTimes, retrieved 2009-08-30
- Wilson, Chanae (8 March 2009), "Brides save money by renting gowns", MormonTimes, retrieved 2009-08-30
- Farmer, Molly (1 July 2008), "Jill Stevens: beauty queen, runner, soldier, and author", MormonTimes, retrieved 2009-08-30
- Fantin, Linda (6 December 2007), "Ten Hut! The military's Miss America candidate", Newsweek, retrieved 2009-08-30
- "Miss Utah is medic for Utah Guard", Deseret Morning News, 3 July 2007, retrieved 2009-08-30
- G.I. Jill[dead link] by Joshua Hudson, May 2008, G.I. Jobs magazine
Media related to Jill Stevens at Wikimedia Commons
|This biography article about a United States contestant in a beauty pageant is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|