|Owner(s)||Proetto family (two locations); Silver family (South Street location)|
|Food type||North American cuisine|
|Website||Jim's Steaks Official Website; Jim's South Street Website|
In the 1930s, "Jim and Millie" offered sandwiches from their house in West Philadelphia. In 1939, they converted the house into "Jim's Steak's" [sic] location. William Proetto and his brother bought that location in the early 1960s. In 1976, Proetto and Abner Silver opened a location on South Street.
Today, the Proetto family owns two Jim's locations. Silver's family owns the South Street location. The Proetto family owned an additional location in Northeast Philadelphia until it was shut down in July 2017 due to health code violations.
In 2016, NJ.com searched the web and named Jim's Steaks one of 10 Philadelphia cheesesteak shops that are worth a visit. Jim's was selected based on winning a series of polls of the readers of the Philadelphia Business Journal, winning "Cheesesteak Madness".
- Birch, T. (2015). Discovering Vintage Philadelphia: A Guide to the City's Timeless Shops, Bars, Delis & More. Discovering Vintage. Globe Pequot Press. p. 51. ISBN 978-1-4930-1400-2. Retrieved December 5, 2017.
- R. W. Apple Jr. (28 May 2003). "A TASTE OF PHILADELPHIA; In Hoagieland, They Accept No Substitutes". New York Times. Retrieved 2016-03-13.
- "AFTER A DECADE, AN ADVENTURE IN DINING OUT; THE CHEESE STEAK: AN ORIGINAL". New York Times. 21 May 1986. Retrieved 2016-03-13.
- Gavin, K. (2017). Moon Philadelphia: Including Pennsylvania Dutch Country. Travel Guide. Avalon Publishing. p. pt150. ISBN 978-1-63121-413-4. Retrieved December 5, 2017.
- Gallagher, Christina. "First a death, then a 32G heist, plague Jim's Steaks". philly.com.
- "Jim's Steaks". Jim's Steaks Official Website. Retrieved 2014-02-18.
- Stamm, Dan (2015-01-16). "South Street Cheesesteak Legend Dies". NBC Philadelphia. Retrieved 2015-06-03.
- Mondon, Marielle (2017-07-07). "Cheesesteak shop in Northeast Philly closed for 20 health code violations". Retrieved 2018-03-04.
- O'Neill, Erin (2016-03-24). "10 Philly cheesesteaks worth crossing the bridge for". NJ.com. Retrieved 2016-03-25.
- Hilario, Kenneth (4 January 2016). "Jim's Steaks South St. named champion of Cheesesteak Madness". Philadelphia Business Journal. Retrieved 2016-03-25.
- Dillon, Hughe (2014-01-09). "Ice Cube and Kevin Hart Giving out Free Cheesesteaks at Jim's". Philly Mag.