Jim & Andy: The Great Beyond
|Jim & Andy: The Great Beyond|
|Directed by||Chris Smith|
|Produced by||Brendan Fitzgerald|
|Edited by||Barry Poltermann|
Jim & Andy: The Great Beyond – Featuring a Very Special, Contractually Obligated Mention of Tony Clifton (or simply Jim & Andy: The Great Beyond) is a 2017 American documentary film directed by Chris Smith. The film follows actor Jim Carrey as he remains in character as Andy Kaufman during the production of the 1999 film Man on the Moon, directed by Miloš Forman. It was released on November 17, 2017, through the streaming service Netflix.
The film alternates between contemporary interviews with Carrey and firsthand footage of the making of Man on the Moon almost 20 years earlier.
The film premiered at the Venice Film Festival in September 2017. Later that month, streaming service Netflix acquired the film's distribution rights after a screening at the Toronto Film Festival. The film was released on November 17, 2017.
On review aggregator website Rotten Tomatoes, the film has an approval rating of 94% based on 46 reviews, with an average rating of 7.5/10. Metacritic, another review aggregator, assigned the film a weighted average score of 77 out of 100, based on 16 critics, indicating "generally favorable reviews".
In The Guardian's review, the film was awarded 4 out of 5 stars. Though the reviewer believed director Chris Smith did not quite succeed in knitting "all the elements of an inquiry into the madness behind fame, art, performance and the issue of when a joke has gone 'too far'", it was still "an extremely watchable movie" and was "marvellously entertaining".
- Gleiberman, Owen (September 5, 2017). "Venice Film Review: 'Jim & Andy: The Great Beyond – featuring a very special, contractually obligated mention of Tony Clifton'". Variety. Retrieved November 17, 2017.
- Pederson, Erik (September 11, 2017). "Netflix Acquires Docu 'Jim & Andy: The Great Beyond'; The Orchard Grabs Louis C.K.'s 'I Love You, Daddy'; A24 & DirecTV Pick Up '1%' – Toronto". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved November 17, 2017.
- Collin, Robbie (November 16, 2017). "Jim & Andy: the Great Beyond review: Jim Carrey goes full method in a comedic hall of mirrors". The Daily Telegraph. Retrieved November 17, 2017.
- "Jim & Andy: The Great Beyond – Featuring a Very Special, Contractually Obligated Mention of Tony Clifton (2017)". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved December 6, 2017.
- "Jim & Andy: The Great Beyond – Featuring a Very Special, Contractually Obligated Mention of Tony Clifton". Metacritic. Retrieved December 6, 2017.
- Hoffman, Jordan (September 13, 2017). "Jim and Andy: The Great Beyond review – a delirious peek behind the Carrey-Kaufman curtain" – via www.theguardian.com.