Jim Ankan Deka
|Jim Ankan Deka|
Jim Ankan Deka at Idea Rocks India, Bangalore (2013)
|Born||Jim Ankan Deka
1 June 1980
Guwahati, Assam, India
|Occupation||Singer, songwriter, documentary filmmaker, photographer, record producer|
Nalini Prava Deka
|Awards||Renault Free The Music Award (2015), Global Music Award (2014)|
|Labels||Bombay Tracks LLP, Biscoot Records LLP, Songdew, Indiearth, Muslate|
|Associated acts||Queen Hazarika, Mayukh Hazarika, Antara Nandy, Rupam Bhuyan|
Jim Ankan Deka (Assamese: জিম অংকন ডেকা; born 1 June 1980) is an Assamese musician, documentary film maker, photographer and director of Bangalore based organisation and music school Eastern Fare Music Foundation. He is the first Assamese to open a music institute and a production house in Bangalore, India. He won multiple awards for his song Aawaz - speak up against sexual violence based on the 2012 Delhi gang rape incident.
Early life and education
Jim Ankan Deka started his career in music at the age of 18 with his first album Prahar: Tumi Kowa Kothabor with an Assamese band Prahar. With his performance as a guitarist, bass guitarist and keyboardist in numerous concerts, events and TV shows, Deka made a name for himself in the music industry of Assam. In 2001 Deka founded a studio in Guwahati named La-Jiazz which was closed in 2006. Deka is a member of the band Voodoo Child in Assam.
Since 1998, Deka has been composing and arranging music for albums, TV series, documentaries, short films and ad jingles. Till 2012 he has composed music for six albums in various languages including English, Hindi, Assamese, Mizo and Goalporia. At present he is a member of Veenar, a jazz fusion band and Eastern Fare, an acoustic rock band in Bangalore.
Works and projects
Deka has been involved in concert and event photography since 2006.
Eastern Fare Music Foundation
Deka left for Bangalore in 2006 and founded the ace music institute Eastern Fare Music Foundation. Eastern Fare opened a club Eastern Fare Music Club in 2009 and a recording studio Eastern Fare Music Studio.
In 2012 Deka opened a branch of Eastern Fare in Guwahati.
In 2010, Eastern Fare Music Foundation opened a production house in Bangalore called Eastern Fare Productions. Deka directed two short documentaries, Nagaland: Journey through the choir of clouds and Shillong under the same production house. The production house also produced a short film and two music videos.
Honors and awards
|Year||Awarded by||Award||Nominated work|
|2013||Mumbai Shorts International Film Festival||Best Music Video||Aawaz – speak up against sexual violence|
|2014||Hollywood Shorts Reel-14||Best Music Video||Aawaz – speak up against sexual violence|
|2014||Noida International Film Festival||Best Music and Best Music Video||Aawaz – speak up against sexual violence|
|2014||Global Music Awards||Bronze Medal||Aawaz – speak up against sexual violence|
|2015||Songdew||Renault Free The Music Award||In recognition of outstanding contribution to indie music|
|2016||Fabindia and Songdew||Weave Your Sound||Eastwards|
Deka has been invited as a guest and judge for some of the major music competitions and events in India. Some of the notable events where Deka was invited as a judge were Ananya '10 at Kammavari Sangha Institute of Technology (KSIT), 12th Inter Collegiate Youth Fest at Channabasaveshwara Institute of Technology (CIT), Spring Fest at Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur (IIT), Alcheringa at Indian Institute of Technology Guwahati (IIT), Rock Hammer at Indian National Autocross Championship (INAC), Consensio at Royal Group of Institutions and Idea Rocks India Talent Hunt,.
|1.||Prahar – Tumi Kowa Kothabor||Assamese||1998|
|3.||Mor Ei Dekh||Assamese||2000|
|5.||Goalporia Lokageet (Goalporia Folk Songs)||Goalporia||2005|
- "Saviganasu" (Kannada) (composed only the guitar part for the theme song of a Kannada serial) (2010)
- "How Else Can We Sing This" (for the band – Eastern Fare) (English) (2010)
- "Samajavaragamana" (Featuring Suchethan Rangaswamy) (Sanskrit) (for the band – Veenar) (2010)
- "Bidaai Dilo Bidaai" (Featuring Ankur Deka) (Assamese) (2012)
- "Ganga" (Featuring Ritwika Bhattacharya) (Hindi) (2012) (tribute to Dr. Bhupen Hazarika)
- "Tere Bin Nahi Lagda" (Featuring Ritwika Bhattacharya) (Hindi) (2012) (tribute to Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan)
- "Aawaz - speak up against sexual violence" (Bilingual) (2013)
- "Nixobdo Nilim" (Assamese) (2014)
- "Xaare Aasu" (Featuring Queen Hazarika) (Assamese) (2015)
- "Aakaxok Subo Khojo" (Featuring Antara Nandy) (Assamese) (2015)
- "Anuron" (Featuring Rupam Bhuyan, Queen Hazarika) (Assamese) (2016)
|2017||Anuron||Jim Ankan Deka||Queen Hazarika, Rupam Bhuyan||Tarunabh Dutta, Debjani Hazarika|
|2015||Aakaxok Subo Khojo||Jim Ankan Deka||Antara Nandy||Parmita Borah|
|2015||Xaare Aasu||Jim Ankan Deka||Queen Hazarika||Parmita Borah|
|2014||Nixobdo Nilim||Jim Ankan Deka||Jim Ankan Deka||Parmita Borah|
|2013||Aawaz – speak up against sexual violence||Jim Ankan Deka||Ritwika Bhattacharya, Antara Nandy and Queen Hazarika||Parmita Borah|
|2012||Tere Bin Nahi Lagda||Jim Ankan Deka||Ritwika Bhattacharya||Parmita Borah|
|2012||Xobdor Porisoy (শব্দৰ পৰিচয়)||Jim Ankan Deka||Jim Ankan Deka||Parmita Borah|
|2010||Shillong||Director, Music Composer||Short documentary|
|2011||Nagaland – journey through the choir of clouds||Director||Short documentary|
|2006||Balidaan||Music composer and background score||Narayan Sil (Director)||Hindi||Doordarshan|
|2010||Saviganasu||Guitarist for title song||Bharath BJ (Music director)||Kannada||Kasturi (TV channel)|
|2011||Uninvited||Music composer and background score||Parmita Borah||English|
- Eastern Fare Music Foundation – a will to succeed Assam Times
- Assamese musician launches school in Bangalore Oneindia.in
- Song against sex crimes remembers Delhi girl, The Telegraph
- Tribune, The Assam (24 Jan 2015). "Remembering a scholar". Assam Tribune Pvt Ltd. Retrieved 24 January 2015.
- "In Conversation – Jim Ankan Deka". Friedeye.com. Retrieved 25 January 2012.
- "Rocking cyberspace". The Assam Tribune. 29 December 2009. Retrieved 25 January 2012.
- Jim Ankan Deka, NH7
- People from Northeast making a mark in Bangalore, Indian Express
- Euphony – with Assamese touch Mangalorean.com
- Jim Ankan Deka – Musician from Assam Posoowa.org
- Assamese Musician Jim Ankan Deka wins Best International Music Video Award, Reviewne.com
- Veenar at Euphony – an Autumn Serenade Merinews.com
- Rhythm divine Times of India
- Harley Rock Riders Season III in Bangalore, India, Ipaimpress.com
- Assamese musician launches school in Bangalore, ANI Sify; accessed 25 January 2012;
- Music and Bangalore Mangalorean.com
- Music Education is Hitting the High Notes in Bangalore Gnews.com
- Assamese musician launches school in Bangalore – From ANI Dailyindia.com
- Jena, Alipta (9 January 2012). "Where folk & Western tunes merge". Calcutta, India: The Telegraph. Retrieved 25 January 2012.
- Jim Ankan Deka's "Nagaland – Journey through the choir of clouds" Film Released Online Washington Bangla Radio; accessed 25 January 2012;
- International accolade for Assamese musician, The Sentinel
- Hollywood Shorts Reel-2014, Miniboxoffice.com
- B'lore-based musician wins bronze medal at Global Music Awards, Daijiworld.com
- Fabindia and songdew's 'weave your sound' contest winners announced, Musicmalt.com
- Judges Jim Ankan Deka and Ankur Deka at Lake Side Dreams in IIT Kharagpur Merinews.com
- Timeless – Jim Ankan Deka and Ritwika Bhattacharya eMusic
- Remake of Ganga by Ritwika Bhattacharya and Jim Ankan Deka released online Radioandmusic.com
- Ganga by Jim Ankan and Ritwika (a tribute to Bhupen Hazarika and Paul Robeson) Indianmusicmug.com
- 'Tere Bin Nahi Lagda' jazz version releases online
- Chaitunes to release the first music video - a tribute to Assamese writer duo, Musicmalt.com
- Aakaxok subo khojo - the second from Chaitunes series, Musicmalt.com
- "Assamese musician launches album on violence against women". Bangalore, India: Yahoo! News. 13 July 2013. Retrieved 29 December 2013.
- Assamese musician Jim Ankan Deka releases new music video 'Xobdor Porisoy' Merinews.com
- Documentary on Nagaland – Journey through the choir of clouds Assamtimes.org