July 8, 1958|
San Francisco, California, U.S.
|Genres||Alternative country, rock|
|Associated acts||The Little Willies|
|Campilongo Signature Fender Telecaster|
Jim Campilongo (born July 8, 1958) is an American guitarist from San Francisco and a member of The Little Willies, featuring Norah Jones.
Campilongo plays a Fender Custom Shop Campilongo Signature Fender Telecaster. He employs a hybrid right-hand technique that involves the use of both a plectrum and his fingers. He holds a mandolin pick between his thumb and forefinger while plucking with his middle and third fingers.
He is a teacher and a contributing editor to Guitar Player magazine.
Campilongo was born in South San Francisco, California. When he was nine, he discovered the Beatles and Jimi Hendrix, courtesy of his two sisters. He became interested in improvisation, saying in one interview, "I knew I liked improvisation and long musical journeys...so I used to buy albums based exclusively on how long the tracks were...That's how I discovered John Coltrane Live in Japan, John McLaughlin Devotion, a couple of different Cream albums."
Campilongo's career began in the mid-1970s. He studied guitar in San Francisco with Bunnie Gregoire, who taught him to embrace many genres of music, including jazz guitarist George Van Eps and country singer John Denver. He used green stamps to buy his first guitar. During high school, he played with his friend and drummer Ken Owen, and when he was seventeen he began performing with local bands. One of Campilongo's biggest influences at the time was blues guitarist Roy Buchanan.
His recording career started in San Francisco in 1996 when he formed Jim Campilongo and the 10 Gallon Cats. After several years, he left the group and recorded Table for One in 1998.
In 2002, he moved to New York City and formed his Electric Trio, which toured Europe and Scandinavia and recorded the album American Hips on Blue Hen Records. In 2003, he formed the group The Little Willies with Norah Jones, Richard Julian, Lee Alexander, and Dan Rieser.
He has performed or recorded with Al Anderson, Bright Eyes, Cake, J. J. Cale, Steve Cardenas, Marilyn Carino, Chris Cheek, Nels Cline, Julia Darling, Charlie Hunter, Adam Levy, Sunny Ozell, David Rawlings, Peter Rowan, Leah Siegel, Teddy Thompson, Martha Wainwright, and Gillian Welch.
Campilongo released the critically acclaimed Orange in 2010. In January 2011, his song "Awful Pretty, Pretty Awful" was nominated for Best Instrumental Song at the 10th Annual Independent Music Awards.
His album Dream Dictionary (2014) featured Chris Morrissey (bass) and Josh Dion (drums). Other notable contributions came from Steve Cardenas, who played on two acoustic numbers, and Norah Jones, who sang on the album's only vocal number, "Here I Am" by Ray Charles.
- 1998 Table for One
- 2001 Live at the Du Nord
- 2003 American Hips
- 2006 Heaven Is Creepy
- 2008 Almost Christmas
- 2010 Orange
- 2014 Dream Dictionary
With the 10 Gallon Cats
- 1996 Jim Campilongo & the 10 Gallon Cats
- 1997 Loose
- 2000 Heavy
With the Little Willies
- 2006 The Little Willies
- 2012 For the Good Times
- 2015 Late Night, This Morning
With Joe Goldmark
- 1997 Steelin' the Beatles
- 1999 All Hat No Cattle
- 2001 Strong Like Bull but Sensitive Like Squirrel
- 2007 Seducing the 60's
With Stephen Yerkey
- 1995 Confidence, Man
- 2006 Metaneonatureboy
With Preacher Boy and the Natural Blues
- 1995 Preacher Boy & The Natural Blues
- 1996 Gutters and Pews
- 2003 The Glory of Man Is Not in Vogue
- 2007 Iris Nova
- 1992 Imago Mundi, Looters
- 1999 Stranger Than Fiction, Wrockers
- 1998 Prolonging the Magic, Cake
- 1998 Rover Songs, Jim Greer
- 2003 Vigilante Arcade, Sonya Greta
- 2005 Slow New York, Richard Julian
- 2004 Goodbye Cheater, Michael Shelley
- 2006 Petals Fall, April Cope
- 2007 Upfront & Down Low, Teddy Thompson
- 2007 Wild Animus, Part One: The Ram, Rich Shapero
- 2008 I Know You're Married But I've Got Feelings Too, Martha Wainwright
- 2007 Close to Dark, Brandi Shearer
- 2007 Pink Lady, Brandi Shearer
- 2007 Just Fall to Pieces, Dave Gleason
- 2010 ...Featuring Norah Jones, Norah Jones
- 2010 The World Will Be Different, Howard Fishman
- 2011 No Further Instructions, Howard Fishman
- 2011 The Simplest Thing, Marika Hughes
- 2012 A Good Country Mile, The Golden Palominos/Kevn Kinney
- 2016 Patrick Stewart's Cowboy Classic Sampler, Patrick Stewart
- 2016 Saddle Up, The Okee Dokee Brothers
- California Birth Index
- Williams, B. http://www.virtualwoodshed.com/jim-campilongo-interview/
- http://www.jimcampilongo.com/about/bio.php jimcampilongo.com
- Richardson, D. http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/gate/archive/2006/09/07/derk.DTL#ixzz0xpY5tBMP SF Gate[dead link]
- "Jim Campilongo | Credits | AllMusic". AllMusic. Retrieved 25 April 2017.