Jim Fairchild - Live in concert
|Birth name||Kirby James Fairchild|
October 8, 1973 |
|Occupation(s)||Singer, songwriter, musician|
|Labels||V2, Dangerbird Records|
|Associated acts||Grandaddy, Modest Mouse|
Jim Fairchild (born Kirby James Fairchild October 8, 1973 in Fresno, California)[dubious ] is an American guitarist and singer-songwriter. He is best known as the lead guitarist of the indie rock bands Grandaddy and Modest Mouse. Fairchild has released solo material under the name All Smiles.
Jim Fairchild moved to Modesto at the age of two, and began to play guitar at the age of 14. He has lived in Los Angeles, Chicago, and Portland, Oregon where he began to work under the name "All Smiles". As of 2009 he lives in San Francisco.
Fairchild joined Grandaddy as guitarist in 1995, and remained with the band until they broke up in 2006. He is featured on the Giant Sand release, Cover Magazine. In 2001, he was the touring guitarist with Giant Sand, who were the opening act for PJ Harvey.
In 2005 Fairchild began touring as a guitarist in Modest Mouse before Johnny Marr joined the band. He released his first solo album, Ten Readings of a Warning, which he arranged to be carbon neutral, in 2007, as well as a single, "Moth in a Cloud of Smoke". Musicians on the album include Solon Bixler, Joe Plummer, Danny Seim, and Janet Weiss. The album art was created by Natasha Wheat. Fairchild rejoined Modest Mouse in February 2009, and has continued to tour with them both nationally and internationally. Fairchild released his second album, Oh for the Getting and Not Letting Go, on June 30, 2009. Band members on the album were Solon Bixler, Mike Cresswell, Nik Freitas, and Joe Plummer. After recording in Austin, Chicago, Los Angeles, Modesto, and Portland, All Smiles released the EP Fall Never Fell on November 17, 2009. The EP was recorded with musicians Solon Bixler, Mike Cresswell, Nik Freitas, Chico Jones, Dave Osborne, Joe Plummer, Danny Seim, Rachel Stolte, and Alance Ward.
On March 1, 2011, Fairchild released All Smiles third full-length album, Staylow and Mighty, on his own Small Aisles label. This album includes contributions from Joe Plummer, Danny Seim, and Gary Jarman.
Albums released as All Smiles:
- Ten Readings of a Warning (Dangerbird Records, 2007)
- Oh for the Getting and Not Letting Go (Small Aisles, 2009)
- Fall Never Fell EP (Small Aisles, 2009)
- "Staylow and Mighty" (Small Aisles, 2011)
- Mostly Cloudy, Morning Night (2012)
- Under the Western Freeway (V2 Records, 1997)
- The Broken Down Comforter Collection (V2 Records, 1999)
- The Sophtware Slump (V2 Records, 2000)
- Sumday (V2 Records, 2003)
- The Ham and Its Lily (2003)
- The Ham and Its Lily was a humorous release by Grandaddy under the band name "Arm of Roger"
With Modest Mouse:
- Howe Gelb, "Can't Help Falling in Love with You" (1998)
- Giant Sand, Cover Magazine (on selected tracks, 2002)
- The Band of Blacky Ranchette, "Low Spark of High Heeled Boys" (2003)
- Goldcard, "The Rabbit Song" (2003)
- Earlimart, Treble and Tremble (Palm Pictures, 2004)
- Peter Walker, Young Gravity (Dangerbird Records, 2006)
- Dappled Cities, Granddance (Dangerbird Records, 2007)
- Admiral Radley, "I Heart California" (The Ship, 2010)
- live video November, 7th 2009 Rouen, France
-  Pitchfork Review of Ten Reading of a Warning
-  E-forests Al Smiles goes Carbon Neutral
-  Modesto Famous
-  Musician Guide
- Friends In High Places Friends in High Places