Jim Finn (filmmaker)
Jim Finn is the writer/director of what have been called "Utopian comedies." His first feature film Interkosmos (71 minutes, 2006) is about an East German space colonization mission. His second feature La Trinchera Luminosa del Presidente Gonzalo (60 minutes, 2007) is about a day in the life of a Shining Path women's prison cellblock. His third feature The Juche Idea (62 minutes, 2008) is about an artist residency in North Korea. He has been making short films and videos since 1999. His work is available through the Video Data Bank and Facets DVD.
He was born in 1968 in St. Louis, Missouri. He went to graduate school at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute  and studied Creative Writing at the University of Arizona. He teaches video and writing at Emerson College. He started making movies in Chicago in the late 1990s and became a fixture on the microcinema scene. His short videos appeared at festivals like the International Film Festival Rotterdam, New York Underground Film Festival, Chicago Underground Film Festival, Impakt Festival, LA Freewaves and many others. His first feature, Interkosmos premiered at the International Film Festival Rotterdam in 2006 and was called a "retro gust of communist utopianism" in the Village Voice. His second feature made the Top 10 in Experimental Film at the Village Voice in 2007.
- "Video Data Bank: Jim Finn". Vdb.org. Retrieved 2010-05-16.
- Jim FinnClass of 2008 (2008-06-20). "Jim Finn - Arts Department - Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (RPI)". Arts.rpi.edu. Archived from the original on 2010-05-05. Retrieved 2010-05-16.
- "Faculty". Emerson.edu. 2009-02-13. Archived from the original on April 25, 2010. Retrieved 2010-05-16.
- Comments (0) By Dennis Lim Tuesday, Feb 14 2006 (2006-02-14). "Tiger Beat - Page 1 - Movies - New York". Village Voice. Retrieved 2010-05-16.
- Comments (0) By Ed Halter Tuesday, Dec 25 2007 (2007-12-25). "The Year in Experimental Cinema - Page 1 - Movies - New York". Village Voice. Retrieved 2010-05-16.
- "An Evening with Jim Finn". MoMA. 2010-02-01. Retrieved 2010-05-16.
- "Hallwalls Contemporary Arts Center - Media Arts". Hallwalls.org. Retrieved 2010-05-16.
- "The Juche Idea Review - Read Variety's Analysis Of The Movie The Juche Idea". Variety.com. 2008-07-07. Retrieved 2010-05-16.