Jim Hamilton (rugby union)
|Birth name||James Leigh Hamilton|
|Date of birth||17 November 1982|
|Place of birth||Swindon, England|
|Height||2.03 m (6 ft 8 in)|
|Weight||114 kg (251 lb; 17 st 13 lb)|
|School||Coundon Court School|
|Rugby union career|
Hamilton was born in Swindon, England. He was educated at Coundon Court School in Coventry, and played for Barkers Butts R.F.C, whilst there he was part of the Warwickshire Colts side before joining Leicester Tigers. He also spent a summer playing in New Zealand in order to advance his potential.
Hamilton played for England at under-21 level but decided to opt for senior honours with Scotland. He was the 1000th man to be capped by Scotland when he made an appearance off the bench against Romania on 11 November 2006. He gained his second cap off the bench against Australia when called up at the last minute for Nathan Hines, over confusion over whether or not Hines was suspended. He was included in the 2007 World Cup squad making several appearances during the group stages. Hamilton scored his first international try for Scotland on 19 June 2010, in Scotland's victory over Argentina.
He was appointed captain of Gloucester Rugby for the 2012–13 season under their coach Nigel Davies.
On 12 December 2012, it was announced Hamilton would leave Gloucester at the end of the season to join French club Montpellier on a three-year contract. On 28 May 2014, it was announced that Hamilton would leave Montpellier to return to England to join Saracens.
On 2 September 2015, Hamilton announced his retirement from international rugby after Vern Cotter had not selected him for Scotland's World Cup squad
In August 2016, Hamilton co-founded a sports marketing company with Ian Ascough called Those Fellas.
On the 13 May 2017, Hamilton announced that he would not play rugby beyond the end of the 2016–2017 season.
He is also briefly mentioned on Pottermore, in an excerpt written by J.K. Rowling for the website, suggesting that he is in fact a squib masquerading as a muggle, alongside fellow players Stuart Hogg and Kelly Brown.
- "Jim Hamilton Scotland profile".
- "Gloucester recruit lock Hamilton". BBC News. 17 June 2010.
- "Jim Hamilton announced as new Gloucester captain". BBC Sport. 17 August 2012. Retrieved 12 September 2012.
- "Jim Hamilton to leave Gloucester for France in 2013". BBC Sport. 12 December 2012.
- Saracens: Jim Hamilton, Juan Figallo and Mike Ellery to join Saracens
- Macpherson, Graeme (2 September 2015). "Jim Hamilton announces retirement from international rugby". The Herald. Retrieved 15 May 2017.
- "Jim Hamilton co-founds sports marketing company". Those Fellas. 30 August 2016. Retrieved 19 October 2016.
- "Jim Hamilton: Saracens and former Scotland lock announces retirement". BBC Sport. 2017-05-14. Retrieved 2017-05-14.
- J.K. Rowling. "Pottermore". Sony. Retrieved 22 February 2014.