Jim Holt (philosopher)
Jim Holt is an American philosopher, author and essayist. He has contributed to The New York Times, The New York Times Magazine, The New York Review of Books, The New Yorker, The American Scholar, and Slate. His book Why Does the World Exist? was a NYTimes bestseller for 2013.
He hosted a weekly radio spot on BBC Wales called "Living in America, with Jim Holt" for ten years. He has appeared on William F. Buckley's Firing Line, NBC News with Tom Brokaw, and CNN. In 1997, he was editor of The New Leader, a political magazine. Holt lives in Greenwich Village, NY and has a brief appearance in an episode of Billy on the Street.
Holt attracted controversy during his chairing of the "Pondering the Imponderable: The Biggest Questions of Cosmology" panel at the 2017 World Science Festival. He repeatedly spoke over the only female member of the panel, Veronika Hubeny, even when she was attempting to answer his questions. The incident led to Holt being accused of mansplaining.
Awards and honors
- 2012 National Book Critics Circle Award, finalist, Why Does the World Exist?
- 2012 The Philosophers Magazine named his book, Why Does the World Exist? as one of the best books of 2012.
- Stop Me If You've Heard This: A History and Philosophy of Jokes New York : W.W. Norton, 2008. ISBN 9780393066739, OCLC 181139422
- Why Does the World Exist?: An Existential Detective Story London : Profile, 2011. ISBN 9781846682445, OCLC 749995335 
- When Einstein Walked With Gödel: Excursions to the Edge of Thought Farrar, Straus & Giroux, 2018. ISBN 9780374146702, OCLC 1033594308
- Timmins, Beth (13 June 2017). "Woman Calls Out Male Author For Speaking Over Female Physicist At World Science Festival". The Independent. Retrieved 13 June 2017.
- Herreria, Carla (9 June 2017). "A Male Host Interrupted A Female Physicist So Much The Audience Intervened". Huffington Post. Retrieved 13 June 2017.
- Elizabeth, De. "This Mansplaining Science Panel Moderator Will Make You Want to Scream". Teen Vogue. Retrieved 2018-08-05.
- Bonazzo, John (6 June 2017). "A Physics Expert Had Her Own Theories Mansplained Onstage—Until One Person Stood Up". New York Observer. Retrieved 14 June 2017.
- "Academic 'Mansplaining' 101 | Inside Higher Ed". Retrieved 2018-08-05.
- John Williams (January 14, 2012). "National Book Critics Circle Names 2012 Award Finalists". New York Times. Retrieved January 15, 2013.
- Christensen, Lauren. "Philosopher Jim Holt on Nothingness, the God Wars, and His New Book: "I'm a Little Unhinged"". Vanity Fair. Retrieved 2018-08-05.
- Bakewell, Sarah. "'Why Does the World Exist?' by Jim Holt". Retrieved 2018-08-05.
- "Why Does the World Exist?: Jim Holt's "Existential Detective Story" - Los Angeles Review of Books". Los Angeles Review of Books. Retrieved 2018-08-05.
- Rosenbaum, Ron (2012-07-23). "Has the Meaning of Nothing Changed?". Slate. ISSN 1091-2339. Retrieved 2018-08-05.
- Jim Holt at TED
- Books of the Times – Into the Nothing, After Something
- The New York Review of Books – What Can You Really Know?
- Philosopher Jim Holt on Nothingness, the God Wars, and His New Book: “I’m a Little Unhinged”
- Has the Meaning of Nothing Changed?
- The Philosophers Magazine – The best books of 2012
- "Why Does Jim Holt Exist?". Scientific American Blog Network.
- Jim Holt, Charlie Rose, 08/01/2012