|Born||August 24, 1942|
|Died||January 18, 2013(aged 70)|
|Alma mater||Stanford University|
|Institutions||University of Toronto|
Palo Alto Research Center
DEC Systems Research Center
InterTrust Technologies Corp.
|Thesis||A Study of Grammatical Inference (1969)|
|Doctoral advisor||Jerome A. "Jerry" Feldman|
|Doctoral students||John Guttag|
Jim Horning received a PhD in computer science from Stanford University in 1969 for a thesis entitled A Study of Grammatical Inference. He was a founding member, and later chairman, of the Computer Systems Research Group at the University of Toronto, Canada, from 1969 until 1977. He was then a Research Fellow at the Xerox Palo Alto Research Center (PARC) from 1977 until 1984 and a founding member and senior consultant at DEC Systems Research Center (DEC/SRC) from 1984 until 1996. He was founder and director of STAR Lab from 1997 until 2001 at InterTrust Technologies Corp.
Horning's interests included programming languages, programming methodology, specification, formal methods, digital rights management and computer/network security. A major contribution was his involvement with the Larch approach to formal specification with John Guttag (MIT) et al.
- A Compiler Generator (with William M. McKeeman and D. B. Wortman), Prentice Hall (1970). ISBN 0-13-155077-2.
- Garland, S. J.; Jones, K. D.; Modet, A.; Wing, J. M. (1993). Guttag, J. V.; Horning, J. J., eds. Larch: Languages and Tools for Formal Specification. Springer-Verlag. doi:10.1007/978-1-4612-2704-5. ISBN 978-1-4612-7636-4.
- Denning, P.; Horning, J.; Parnas, D.; Weinstein, L. (December 2005). "Wikipedia risks". Comm. ACM. 48 (12): 152. doi:10.1145/1101779.1101804.
- Horning, J.; Neumann, P. G. (June 2008). "Risks of neglecting infrastructure". Comm. ACM. 51 (6): 112. doi:10.1145/1349026.1349047.
- "Jim Horning, Past ACM Awards Committee Co-Chair, Dies — Association for Computing Machinery". Acm.org. Retrieved 2013-01-24.
- "Risks Digest 27.14", Peter G. Neumann, 22 January 2013
|Wikiquote has quotations related to: Jim Horning|