|Member of the Scottish Parliament
for South Scotland
3 May 2007 – 23 March 2016
4 November 1962 |
Peebles, Scottish Borders, United Kingdom
|Alma mater||Edinburgh University|
Hume was born in Peebles but raised in Selkirkshire. His previous positions include Chairman of "Environment and Land Use" for the National Farmers Union of Scotland and President of Lothians and Borders NFU. He was active during the Foot-and-mouth crisis of 2001. Hume was also on the board of Scottish Enterprise Borders, Chaired The Borders Foundation for Rural Sustainability, a member of the Forestry Commission's South of Scotland Regional Forum, a Trustee of The Borders Forest Trust and a founding Director of The South of Scotland Loan Fund Scheme. Jim was a Member of the Scottish Parliament from 2007 to 2016
Member of the Scottish Parliament
He was elected to the Scottish Parliament to represent the South of Scotland region at the 2007 election. He was also elected councillor of the Galashiels and District region of Scottish Borders Council on the same night. He is the first ever Liberal Democrat MSP for the South of Scotland region since the Scottish Parliament was created in 1999. Hume was Scottish Liberal Democrat Spokesman for Housing and Health. He sat on the Scottish Parliament's Rural Affairs, Climate Change and Environment Committee, and was the Committee's EU Reporter. He was also the Scottish Liberal Democrat Deputy Whip and a member of the European Committee of Regions.
Smoking Prohibition (Children in Motor Vehicles) (Scotland) Bill
Hume successfully introduced a Member's Bill in the Scottish Parliament - Smoking Prohibition (Children in Motor Vehicles) (Scotland) Bill - which passed the process in December 2015. The Bill was enacted in January 2016 and shall protect 60,000 children every week from the dangers of second hand smoke in cars.
- 1983: Edinburgh School of Agriculture, Diploma in Agriculture
- 1997: University of Edinburgh, Masters in Business Administration (MBA)
- 1998 –2014: Farmer, partner, John Hume and Son (farming firm, Sundhope Farm, Yarrow, Selkirk)
- 2004-2006: Director of the National Farmers Union of Scotland (NFUS) President of Lothian & Borders NFUS
- 2000-2006: Trustee Borders Forest Trust (BFT)
- 2000-2001: Trustee Borders Foundation for Rural Sustainability (BFRS)
- 2001-2007: Chairman Borders Foundation for Rural Sustainability
- 2003-2007: Director Scottish Enterprise Borders (SEB)
- 2005-2007: Member of Forestry Commission Scotland's South of Scotland Regional Forum.
- February 2007- 4 May 2007: Director of the National Farmers Union of Scotland (NFUS): Chairman of NFUS Environment & Land Use.
- 2007 – 2016: Member of the Scottish Parliament for South of Scotland
- 2007-2011: Scottish Liberal Democrat Shadow Minister for the Environment
- 2007-2008: Member of The Scottish Parliament's Audit Committee
- 2008-2011: Member of The Scottish Parliament's European & External Relations Committee
- 2008-2011: Scottish Liberal Democrat Deputy Spokesperson on Environment, Rural Development and Energy
- 2009 - March 2011: Head of Scottish Parliamentary Campaigns
- 2011 – 2012: Scottish Liberal Democrat Spokesperson on Rural Affairs, Environment, Climate Change, Housing and Transport
- 2011 – 2016:. Member of the Scottish Parliament Rural Affairs, Climate Change & Environment Committee.
- 2011 – 2016: The Scottish Parliament Rural Affairs, Climate Change & Environment Committee's European Reporter.
- 2011 – 2016: Member of The European Union's Committee of Regions
- 2012–2106: Scottish Liberal Democrat Spokesperson on Health and Housing
- 2012–2106: Scottish Liberal Democrat Deputy Whip
- 2016 - present: Trustee of Tweed Forum
- 2016 - present: Adviser to Support in Mind Scotland
- 2016 - present: Board Member of The Broomhouse Centre
- 2017 - present: Convener of the National Rural Mental Health Forum www.ruralwellbeing.org
- 2017 - present: Non-Executive Director of Scotland's Rural College (SRUC) www.sruc.ac.uk
- 2018 - present: Vice Convener of the Scottish Parliament’s Former Members’ Association