Jim Lynch (writer)
November 3, 1961 |
Seattle, Washington, U.S.
Lynch's first novel, The Highest Tide, became a bestseller in the United Kingdom after the coming-of-age story was featured on the Richard & Judy book club television show in England. It went on to receive the Pacific Northwest Booksellers Association Award in 2006. His second novel, Border Songs, set along the rural western end of the Canada–United States border, won the Washington State Book Award for Fiction and was a finalist for the American Booksellers Association award for best fiction in 2009.
Truth Like the Sun, Lynch's third novel, (its title quite appropriately based on one of Elvis Presley's most celebrated quotes) was released in April 2012. Set in Seattle, during the 1962 World's Fair, a time when Presley and other celebrities, including Vice President Lyndon Johnson visited it as well as in 2001, the story involves the investigation of a city legend by an ambitious reporter. Critics have likened the novel to classic movies about American power and corruption, such as Chinatown, Citizen Kane, and All the President's Men. His most recent novel, Before the Wind, was released in April 2016. It stars a gifted and volatile family obsessed with sailing. It will be available in paperback in March 2017 in the United States and Canada. Translation rights for the novel have been sold to publishers in France and Spain as well.
Lynch grew up near Seattle, Washington. Graduating with English and Communications degrees from the University of Washington, he subsequently reported for newspapers in Alaska, Virginia and Washington, D.C., as well as The Spokesman-Review, The Seattle Times and The Oregonian. Along the way his national honors included the Livingston Young Journalist Award for national reporting in 1996, and the George Polk Award for environmental reporting with Karen Dorn Steele in 1995.
- The Highest Tide (2005) Bloomsbury USA ISBN 978-1-58234-605-2
- Border Songs (2009) Alfred A. Knopf ISBN 978-0-307-27117-4
- Truth Like the Sun (2012) Alfred A. Knopf ISBN 978-0-307-95868-6
- Before the Wind (2016) Alfred A. Knopf ISBN 978-0-307-95898-3
- The Oregonian, 2012-04-14-Retrieved on 2012-07-02
- The Globe and Mail, 2009-06-19 - Retrieved on 2012-07-02.
- The Washington Post, 2009-06-17 - Retrieved on 2012-07-02
- The New York Times, 2006-07-29 - Retrieved on 2012-07-02 The British Version of Oprah's Book Club
- Pacific Northwest Booksellers Association, 2006-01-06 - Retrieved on 2010-06-30 2006 PNBA Book Award Winners
- 'Border Songs' and 'Big Burn' among Washington State Book Awards The Seattle Times, 2010-09-10 - Retrieved on 2012-07-02
- Indies' Choice Book Award Finalists Announced The Huffington Post, 2010-03-02 - Retrieved on 2012-07-02
- Seattle reporter finds bubbles of corruption under the Space Needle The New York Times, 2012-04-08 - Retrieved on 2012-07-02
- 'Truth Like the Sun' by Jim Lynch The (London) Independent, 2012-04-08 - Retrieved on 2012-07-02
- 'Truth Like the Sun' by Jim Lynch: Review The Toronto Star, 2012-05-12 - Retrieved on 2012-07-02
- Young Journalists Cited for Excellence The New York Times, 1996-06-20 - Retrieved on 2010-06-25
- Report on Nicotine Levels Wins Polk Award The New York Times, 1995-03-07 - Retrieved on 2010-06-25
- Northwest novelist Jim Lynch proves as steady a hand on books as boats The Oregonian, 2009-06-22 - Retrieved on 2010-06-25